Author Topic: guys wanna see what the GoFoil NL220 is capable of?  (Read 14611 times)

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
guys wanna see what the GoFoil NL220 is capable of?
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:44:00 PM »
yes the resolution sux...yes its from the surfline cam...across the street waaaay far away...but the siloshot can't keep me in focus....anyway....im a fatass 240lbs on the NL220....im tellin you the winglets are no joke....

https://youtu.be/-qRRHnrBE_E

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: guys wanna see what the GoFoil NL220 is capable of?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
W.T.F.!  The hell with what the NL220 is capable of...I'm more impressed with what the big guy on top of the board is capable of!...

...gravity defying. :o :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
DiiiiiG! :D :D :D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:37 AM »
When people talk about a wing "not turning" I have always been skeptical.

I have NEVER felt like I pushed my foil so hard that it would NOT respond.  More that the foil always had MORE turn in it.

What Steamroller is demonstrating is that when put on a "rail" the foil does not breach and fail.

Fantastic.  You can even see the tip come out!!!!   On the Surfline Camera no less.  I am starting to believe that the original Anhedral foils had the benefit of turning because they were curved to NOT breach.  These little winglets allow (maybe) for us to use high aspect FLAT foils which are WAY WAY more efficient and the winglet may prevent the cavitation along the top of the foil.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
That 360 turn move should be called a "steamroller".
-red

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
When people talk about a wing "not turning" I have always been skeptical.

When I whine about a wing not turning, I don’t mean literally. I mean it doesn’t roll in and out of a turn so easy and smooth I’m one with the wing. I think it, it flows with me. Like a windsurf wave fin versus a slalom fin. Wave fins I love. Slalom is less fun.

Watch closely the videos. You can tell the type of front wing just by the way a surfer flows rail to rail and to some extent, the way their arms flail

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
Steamroller - You're rippin!  Awesome.

I agree with Denton and Dwight.  And I am adding that a stabilizer that is matched to the front wing can help a ton with turning or not turning.

First I saw of upturned wingtips were in the video of Robert Teriitehau he breached a tip quite a bit, if that's the secret sauce to riding tips out I want me some.

Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:41 PM »
just rewatched that Teriitehau sup foil video - I hadn't noticed the wing tips before!  I also hadn't noticed that he performs a "steamroller" in that video as well.  I guess he did it first if that counts for the naming convention :D

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 02:01:03 PM »
Beasho, it is really hard to get a SUP foilboard on rail that hard without breaching the tips.  Just the shear width of the board means we need a really long mast to keep a GL210 or 180 wingtip in the water without burying a rail of the board.  So yeah, I feel limited in how hard I can push a turn, especially on a wave where the rail of the board is against the wave face in a bottom turn.  Same problem trying to ride high on a steep wave. 

~20" wide prone board has so much more margin to make turns with the foil deeper in the water.  I've set up for hard turns by making sure I'm deep enough in the water

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
Beasho, it is really hard to get a SUP foilboard on rail that hard without breaching the tips.  Just the shear width of the board means we need a really long mast to keep a GL210 or 180 wingtip in the water without burying a rail of the board.  So yeah, I feel limited in how hard I can push a turn  . .
I had a similar thought so will ask:

Steamroller - How long was your mast in that video?  And - Width of Board?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »
the wingtips are piercing the surface...every time...but the winglets spinn off amd awaythe tip vorticies keeping the wings efficient and the cutouts let you re-engage the foil and stop the ventilation from progressing all the way across the span once you submerge it again..

airplane winglets dont have cutouts but tbey fly in air...when they were testing Alex found that the trailing edge corner of the winglets in WATERand air had a lot of interference drag and they kept ventilating...and wouldn'tet it go...with the cutouts...thw water comes back together and the ventilating stops...

your guys feedback is GREAT...but i keep getting more and more stuff that needs to be discussed...feels like im never going to gwt this thing finished...haha

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:39:25 PM »
figure out how to get me an NL wing and the questions will stop  ;D

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 07:02:51 PM »
sorry guys i feel badfor you ...i do the same thing with the waiting waiting for the new stuff and the lack of info...

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:58 PM »
you guys wanna see what i have so far!...still gotta add wilglets and cutouts parts...

if I sound  like a total dumass feel free to let me know...

input is appreciated ...i jst do this for FUN!

https://youtu.be/st9CrONGKfQ

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 11:06:52 PM »
I love this video. I hope you just keep adding to it and posting it so I can keep watching it over and over.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal