Author Topic: Got my GONG HIPE 5'3"  (Read 6267 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Got my GONG HIPE 5'3"
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
I received my much frothed over Gong Inflatable HIPE 5'3" 110L. It was delivered to my door 6 days after Gong received shipment to France. $833US delivered. I have had 2 sessions on it thus far. I have my Slingshot I84 with 48" stab and 29" mast in "b"position. Both sessions were on the lighter side. Bottom line- STOKED!!!! It is only 10 L less than my previous main ride the Outwit 6'6" but it is 16" shorter. The weight is roughly the same around 16lbs. Here is the big difference- swing weight. The HIPE carries her main weight in the carbon foil mount area. The rest of the board feels really light. The swing weight is considerably lower. It is really easy to initiate the yah on turns. The touchdowns don't seem to be a problem which is interesting because this board doesn't have any of the fancy shapes of other wing boards; chines, double concave, weird tail chit. It is basically just a short, fat SUP with a touch of rocker. It is easier to get up to foil in light wind than my Outwit. I am still strapless on it but am keen to put on the front strap.

One gripe is that the deck pad seems slippery to bare feet. I wander if they designed it for booty riding.
I left it inflated to the recommended 15-20 psi in the truck in hottish weather for a couple of days and no problem. I was worried about this being the buzzkill of dealing with inflatables.
Oh, and it has crashed into me a couple of times and it just bounced off and I chuckled. I am really stoked to be done with ding repair.
I highly recommend this board to anyone for winging. Haven't had it for a sup foil yet but bet it will crush it.
I am stoked on Gong and their customer service and their products. I know there is a lot of chit talk on the Zone but I have only had good interactions.

Send It!!!!!!

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Got my GONG HIPE 5'3"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
Hi daswusup. Great review. My 5’3 Hipe is due in next month. Really excited now😀

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 06:22:26 AM »
Good for you with putting up with the Atlantic static.  Six days was quick.. who handled it and what did the shipping cost?  I expect you will have a lot of fun with it. ' Looks great.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
$267 shipping with DHL. Seems like alot but, in the end I got a premium board for way less. I'm sure there's another company that could pick it up at the Gong shop and get it here cheaper but I didn't feel like dealing. I am on the list for a Ride Engine Moon Buddy 85L supposedly coming next week. I think this will round out my quiver nicely.
I am pretty sure this is Wyatt boosting on it.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
Thanks for the review.

Hows the rigidity?   
Does the deck flex with foot pressure?
How about lateral movement, any wobble or flex side to side / on the roll axis?

Does it feel balanced like they put the tracks in the right place?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »

PNWingfoil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 05:02:35 AM »
Any updates on the 5’3 HIPE?

Mine is scheduled for release end of October and getting very excited!
Fanatic: Sky Wing 5’4
Naish: Hover Wing/SUP 125 Carbon Ultra
Gong: Hipe 5’3, Rise XL, Curve L-T & XL, Pulse 3/5/7

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
$267 shipping with DHL. Seems like alot but, in the end I got a premium board for way less. I'm sure there's another company that could pick it up at the Gong shop and get it here cheaper but I didn't feel like dealing. I am on the list for a Ride Engine Moon Buddy 85L supposedly coming next week. I think this will round out my quiver nicely.
I am pretty sure this is Wyatt boosting on it.

I believe Wyatt Miller is riding a Sling Shot Wing Craft V1.  It has proper front footstrap inserts (more like windsurf front footstrap positions) and a hole on the bottom (handle) to carry the board.  The Moon Buddy does not (I have a Moon Buddy).  Personally I think you would be better served with the Sling Shot Wing Craft board.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 07:42:27 AM by deja vu »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal