Author Topic: Wow, it's an ADHD anniversary!  (Read 2054 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wow, it's an ADHD anniversary!
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:00:29 PM »
I was looking at the bottle of Concerta I have in my desk drawer with an eye towards maybe taking one tomorrow. I've been having trouble making progress on my Moho project--a lot of wiring to do to get the dashboard back in--and every time I start I find myself off doing something unrelated. A standard ADD avoidance problem. So I dug out the bottle, it's got 29 tablets of the original 30 prescribed, and I filled it on August 25, 2009. It's been eleven years since I've medicated for ADD. I'm keeping the bottle in my desk even though it theoretically expired ten years ago. Just a reminder that I don't really need it. The Moho can wait for me to get my shit together some other way. I don't want my reality to narrow down to one little pathetic frequency of color. I'll stick with the full spectrum.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Wow, it's an ADHD anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:13:17 AM »
Bill,  Does it work?  I cannot walk thru a door without totally forgetting why I had been the room I just left? The eyes see 'the next project'.  I have to force myself to concentrate to pass three projects to reach a 4th. I got a MMJ card using my spine as an excuse. My wife finds it makes a nice sleep aid, but I am not attracted. Maybe it would keep all those little balls from bouncing so much?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:33:17 AM »
It works a little TOO well--if you actually have ADD. I'm told it doesn't do anything noticeable for folks that have their own capability to regulate their attention. For me, all the interesting thoughts and stimulation coming from the periphery disappear, and it seems like I just have one line of thought going on. I don't like it, but it's effective. It's hard to express why I dislike it, I generally describe it in terms of color or music. One skimpy melody on a piccolo instead of a whole rock band.

The first time I took it I was panicked--I thought I'd permanently changed my brain, like the first time I took Mescaline. But it's not a huge deal, and I'm back to abnormal in a day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:48:03 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
I can see that...  ADD is simply misdiagnosed creativity!

To mis-quote a song:
"if it wasn't for second thoughts, I'd have no thoughts at all!"   :D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:23:46 AM »
creativity linked to the attention span of a squirrel.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
I've totally convenced myself that I have ADD. But I'm having a hard time believing it. All my closest friends have it. Our spinning electrons are constantly changing the direction and every once in a while we'll stick together. My wife included. The creative mind is a complicated place.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 05:48:20 PM »
See a doc about it. It's not that hard to diagnose. Being forgetful isn't ADD. Lots of people think they have it, but when they talk about it even I can say "nope". They talk about being forgetful and impulsive, but then I see them sit still without fidgeting or needing a distraction. I climb the walls when I have to sit still and just chat. I carry a kindle everywhere, and before kindles I always carried a book. I read constantly--because I have to in order to sit still. When I ran my company I never attended a meeting without a notebook and pencil. People thought my constant scribbling was because I was taking careful notes--I wasn't. My employees understood that I might get up and leave in the middle of a meeting. It wasn't that I didn't care about the topic--just that I was going nuts.

Or people talk about not being able to focus, but it becomes obvious they can't focus on things that bore them. What a surprise. People with ADD sometimes can't focus on things that enthrall them. I love music. Ten minutes into a concert that I'm really enjoying I have to get up and do something else. I mask it by going for refreshments or the bathroom, but isn't why I get up--I have to.  I rode my motorcycle to a Stevie Wonder concert and got up to get something to drink ten minutes in. When I headed back to my seat I couldn't remember where it was and my ticket was in my jacket, on the seat, with my helmet. I didn't find it until the amphitheater was empty.

If your friends actually have it, then perhaps you do too. It's easy for neurologically different people to relate to those who are similarly fucked up. I get along great with anyone in the spectrum, all the way to nearly uncommunicative autistics.

When I'm done doing something with friends i pack my shit up and leave. Hanging out to talk or getting beer together is a BIG challenge, and I'm horribly clumsy at it. I make myself do it some times, and there are a few folks I can actually hang out with, but they are few and far between, and I almost never want to. Going to the Rider's Club with you to get a burger was a big deal. I enjoyed it greatly, but you probably noticed how fidgety I was, and when it was over, boom, I'm gone.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:07:04 PM by PonoBill »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 06:17:17 PM »
I've made this far, not sure a doc would help...maybe. I always do just about everything by myself. I design and build everything myself. I used to ride road bikes, mountain bikes, windsurf, ski, etc. by myself. Some people are faster and some are slower, but I move through life at my pace. I never hang out at the beach for more than 10 minutes after I'm done surfing. I skied 4 days last season by myself. I have some old ski instructor friends who I will ski with, but we usually go down different runs and meet at the lift. Probably because they are like me. I build my own house, with very little help. It took me 5 years, but I was building tons of other homes for people at the same time. Friends would offer to help, but I always said I'm good, got it handled. Lots of indicators? And I should be working on plan corrections right now, but I'm dicking around here on the Zone....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
Okay, yup. You're one of us. Sorry about that. I should have known there's a reason we get along.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal