Author Topic: Lefty Approach  (Read 1785 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Lefty Approach
« on: August 26, 2020, 07:42:00 AM »
Been working on frontside takeoffs with a "Lefty" approach, paddle to the left instead of the right(which is my strong side). Felt a little sketch at first as you are pretty much taking off with only a peripheral view of the wave. I noticed it doesn't hurt to paddle my left side. I also discovered if utilizing a kinda lock arm paddle technique on the right it is less painful but sacrifices a bit of control. There is one wave righty takeoff but it was so perfect and didn't wanna blow it.
Quite fortunate to be able to continue pursuing the active lifestyle. Still some minor pain in my shoulder but able to surf around it. Haven't tried a regular board yet.
Thanx, Zoners!

Good warm waves and perfect offshores
https://app.soloshot.com/video/84a13b57-8d7e-4c74-a15c-641a76a23c90

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lefty Approach
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
That's excellent that you're able to do the cookie, takeoff from both sides like that. Try as I might I just can't seem to takeoff on my weak side (righty approach, being I'm goofy). I really think a lot of this has to do with (for myself at least), not necessarily the "only a peripheral view of the wave" part, but more so that because I takeoff in my surf stance (foiling and SUPing), that reaching over my backside side of the board gets me twisted, counter-rotating my shoulders out of alignment with my hips, and my COG is thrown way out of whack because of it.

I'm also not able to deep bend at the knees and waist to lower my COG and get that one big deep reach-out pull on my initial paddle stroke...which for me, is basically the "do or die" stroke of the takeoff. If I miss it, I'm pretty much guaranteed I'm gonna miss the wave, and trying to takeoff off-handed is just a wave killer for me. :(

But stoked (and jealous) that you're able to that pull off. I know I miss waves just not trying for them because I'm "out of position"...that I'd be able to make had I only been able to take the opposite "approach".

Also good to hear you're back out there charging with no ill (or only minor) effects from your shoulder surgery. As someone once wrote, "Keep ridin' 'til ya can't!" :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:03:36 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »
I consider it really valuable to be able to take off paddling on either side, and the difference between strong and weak sides goes away as you practice more. Both my shoulders are toast, so equalizing the stress is a worthwhile thing. My turns going left suck even though I do a lot of them, so being able to take off paddling on the left side is critical to maintaining some kind of balance of pain.

For me, the big breakthrough was shortening my stance and bending my knees more while paddling on either side for takeoff. As soon as I start the drop I slide my back foot further back and to whatever side I plan to bottom turn on. If you're going to do a cutback right away then taking off paddling on the left lets you do a paddle brace without switching sides.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 07:25:28 AM »
Hey Surfercook,
I have been trying to improve at this technique too.  There was a similar thread here: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35296.msg406416.html#msg406416
I always fall (to my left) when I paddle on my backside (left) with my feet in a regular stance (right foot back).  I found that if I switch my feet to goofy (switch stance for me with left foot back), paddle on left, I can catch waves no problem without falling.  It is basically just the mirror image of my regular stance.  When I catch the wave switch, I do a 180 spin hop (inspired by Jeff Clark), to ride the wave regular foot.

With regards to the shoulder, my recommendation is to keep stretching.  I had an old BMX shoulder injury (couldn't raise my arm over my shoulder from the side for about 6 months), which got re-injured with skateboarding (LDP + wheel bite).  Throwing baseballs felt like it was ripping my shoulder.  I failed the test where you extend your arm straight in front of you, palm down, and resist a force to push your arm down, this would cause pain.  I thought I was going to need the surgery my boss' son had for baseball (pitcher).  The stretch that helped me was to lie prone on the ground with your arms extended over your head (making yourself tall).  I would do two stretches in this position.  (These were inspired while I was practicing Foundation Training.)  A) push your fingers into the ground (20-30 sec) (palms not touching the ground).  B) push your palms into the ground (fingers relaxed) (20-30 sec).
C) The other stretch I did was the Sphynx Pose: with my knees on the ground, butt on my heels, hands on the ground and bow down, sinking the chest to the ground.
https://media.self.com/photos/5a305dc383ab3f54feacf74e/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/2_23self.jpg
D) The other stretch I did was the Lying Pectoral Stretch (10 sec)
Be careful with this stretch.
https://media.self.com/photos/5a305dcb2323e96043af7db9/master/w_1600%2Cc_limit/2_31self.jpg
Links: https://www.self.com/gallery/essential-stretches-slideshow
The other thing that helped my shoulder was to shorten the paddle, a couple inches can make a huge difference.  A smaller blade (narrower) is another thing to consider.
A prepaddle warm up is a good idea:

My shoulder pain is in the past now... just dealing with back and sciatica issues now (SUP is my physical therapy) but that is a different (freebord) story.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:07:44 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 02:18:35 PM »
Hey Cookie,
Stoked your back at it. I'm going to have to try switch foot. I used to windsurf so it shouldn't be a stretch. I'll start with some smaller waves at first. Hate to waste a good wave.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »
Respect.  Very few surfers can do it.  I am a surfer of fifty years and maybe going straight, no way a takeoff.

It is definetly a plus. Backside takeoffs, especially with my old staff neck, on steep waves has a certain blind spot to it.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal