Author Topic: Is it normal for paddle handles to snap off?  (Read 9236 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for paddle handles to snap off?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 03:02:53 PM »
The Ke Nalu paddles have a special extended handle that assembles with hot glue, so
 You can change the length easily. Sounds like one of them would be a good solution for you. Its basically an adjustable fixed length paddle - very cool.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »
The Ke Nalu paddles have a special extended handle that assembles with hot glue, so
 You can change the length easily. Sounds like one of them would be a good solution for you. Its basically an adjustable fixed length paddle - very cool.
What Area 10 meant to add was...you can just heat the hot glue up with a heat gun or similar heat source and move it to wear you want it. I have the same setup (KeNalu Xtuf Maliko 95 w/ the extended ergo T ) and have moved it a few times. Great paddle. Best thing is the extra flex in the Xtuf shaft. I never have any pain in my shoulders after a long paddle with that shaft. I call it the senior flex :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:01:58 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
What Area 10 meant to add was...you can just heat the hot glue up with a heat gun or similar heat source and move it to wear you want it. I have the same setup (KeNalu Xtuf Maliko 95 w/ the extended ergo T ) and have moved it a few times. Great paddle. Best thing is the extra flex in the Xtuf shaft. I never have any pain in my shoulders after a long paddle with that shaft. I call it the senior flex :)

What TallDude meant to add was a picture of how a setup like that might look like.
The specific setup in the picture is a ZRE 3 piece adjustable paddle that assembles just like a one piece with hot glue but the Ke Nalu works just as well.
in progress...

NMPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2020, 08:08:49 PM »
Got it!  A super long handle with glue that you can heat up if you need to adjust the length. That's brilliant, seems like everybody should be doing that.  So it doesn't make sense to spend the $25 to fix my old paddle. I should just move forward to a better paddle.

So does Ke Nalu usually put their gear on sale for Labor Day, Black Friday, etc.
Jimmy Lewis U-Boat 14' x 25"
Red Paddle Sport 11' x 30"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 04:03:49 AM »
Got it!  A super long handle with glue that you can heat up if you need to adjust the length. That's brilliant, seems like everybody should be doing that.  So it doesn't make sense to spend the $25 to fix my old paddle. I should just move forward to a better paddle.

So does Ke Nalu usually put their gear on sale for Labor Day, Black Friday, etc.

I think they still offer a “zoner” discount so it’s like holiday everyday. the Mana 82 blade with the xtuf(s) shaft. Extended ergo T with the adjustable part is a great package.

The Extended ergo T with the adjustable part https://kenalu.com/collections/paddle-components/products/extended-ergo-t-adjustable-part is a smart product. You can hot glue it to your shaft and use your paddle as regular adjustable paddle in the early days until you are set on length.
in progress...

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
So it doesn't make sense to spend the $25 to fix my old paddle.

For $25 you'd have a paddle you can use or lend to others. Adjustables make great loaners and back-ups.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
yup i have about 6 of um that have snapped off over the years nowadays i just drill and grind out the old shaft and replace the broken handle with PVC pipe t connector from home depot

NMPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
I looked over the KeNalu products this tonight and the Maliko 95 blade with the Extended Ergo T + Adjustable Part + xTuf shaft looks like a pretty good package for me. It lets me mess around with the length now and then lock it down later once I figure out stuff. It’s rocky shores tolerant, and the shaft has plenty of flex to protect my old shoulders.  At a glance, I didn’t see a similar set-up (adjustment wise) with the other brands, so this looks like the best choice so far.

Blackeye: That’s a good point. But I already have a cheap adjustable backup paddle - so probably won’t get the Accent fixed. Unless I break my backup paddle.

Steamroller: Does that really work?  I hope you’re not going to tell me all six were KeNalu paddles.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
Steamroller has been known to drive his truck over all kinds of stuff to see if it breaks. He also throws things into the rocks.... just to see if they break.  ::)
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2020, 05:07:26 AM »
..the Maliko 95 blade with the Extended Ergo T + Adjustable Part + xTuf shaft looks like a pretty good package for me...

I hope you haven't reached this conclusion based on price alone. Going with a blade size 95sqi for a a man your size could prove expensive going forward.
As for rocky shores, you can use a simple tape to protect the blade edge. I use Helicopter tape, but double layer of electric tape is cheap and easy to apply.
in progress...

NMPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »
Price was definitely a consideration but not the only one. Still open to suggestions but this was my thinking:

Blade Size: I've used two paddles so far,  a 85” sq in and my backup might be as large as 111 sq in. Not sure. But definitely a lot bigger than the 85 and too large for regular use. Looking at several SUP sites for size recommendations came up with “Medium”, or 87’ - 97”, or the QuickBlade site which recommended their 90” blade. The KeNalu site didn’t have help picking a blade size but in the xTuf series they have 74”, 84”, 95” and 105”. So either the 84 or 95 seemed in the right ballpark. They said  the 95 is their most popular size. It’s also mid-way between the two paddles I’ve tried. So I tossed a coin. Are you thinking 84" would be better?

Blades and Shaft models: xTuf is their low end series but seem to have positive reviews, are a little more durable and weight a little more. Also the shaft is more flexible. I understand that’s more forgiving for your shoulders so that’s sounds like a plus. This paddle would be significantly lighter than the paddles I’ve been using and obviously an upgrade in overall quality.  The other series are a little nicer, are a little more fragile and cost more.  The Mana is aimed at the serious racer. The Ho'oloas says it adds a little more drive. And the Elite is a little lighter than the xTuf.  I didn’t see a compelling reason to spend the extra money to upgrade.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2020, 10:05:01 AM »
Price was definitely a consideration but not the only one. Still open to suggestions but this was my thinking:

Blade Size: I've used two paddles so far,  a 85” sq in and my backup might be as large as 111 sq in. Not sure. But definitely a lot bigger than the 85 and too large for regular use. Looking at several SUP sites for size recommendations came up with “Medium”, or 87’ - 97”, or the QuickBlade site which recommended their 90” blade. The KeNalu site didn’t have help picking a blade size but in the xTuf series they have 74”, 84”, 95” and 105”. So either the 84 or 95 seemed in the right ballpark. They said  the 95 is their most popular size. It’s also mid-way between the two paddles I’ve tried. So I tossed a coin. Are you thinking 84" would be better?

Blades and Shaft models: xTuf is their low end series but seem to have positive reviews, are a little more durable and weight a little more. Also the shaft is more flexible. I understand that’s more forgiving for your shoulders so that’s sounds like a plus. This paddle would be significantly lighter than the paddles I’ve been using and obviously an upgrade in overall quality.  The other series are a little nicer, are a little more fragile and cost more.  The Mana is aimed at the serious racer. The Ho'oloas says it adds a little more drive. And the Elite is a little lighter than the xTuf.  I didn’t see a compelling reason to spend the extra money to upgrade.

I believe the package I suggested would serve you best. It's also one of the more popular but especially good for your situation imo. Will help develop a better stroke as the Mana 82 is a very forgiving blade both on shoulders and on poorly executed stroke. If you hang around here long enough you'll catch some of the horror stories related to bigger blade sizes and stiff shafts.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »
..the Maliko 95 blade with the Extended Ergo T + Adjustable Part + xTuf shaft looks like a pretty good package for me...

I hope you haven't reached this conclusion based on price alone. Going with a blade size 95sqi for a a man your size could prove expensive going forward.
As for rocky shores, you can use a simple tape to protect the blade edge. I use Helicopter tape, but double layer of electric tape is cheap and easy to apply.
The 95 is probably too big for you. Perfect for me at 225 lbs. Was good when I weighed 250. The 100 and 110 (and 120) were sizes that probably evolved originally from outrigger paddles. I still have a 110 that I never use. The 85 range would be a better fit for you. I've surf with an 85 and it worked fine for me. With surfing the larger paddle just helps with bracing. Bracing is were you're using your paddle to maintain or regain your balance. Specially when it gets choppy and you're standing still in the lineup. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:13:08 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

NMPaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »
If I haven't said it before, I just want to say thanks for all the advice and support this forum provides. It's really great.

Okay, I’m sold on the a mid-80 sized blade. I do high rpms when I go cycling to prevent injuries. I assume paddling is similar.

Less convinced about the Mana 82 - even as much as I respect burchas advice. Of course my hesitation is due largely to sticker shock.  The Wiki 84 retails around $350. The Mana almost $500. Spending $350 for a decent paddle is something I'm just now coming to accept is a smart purchase. The Mana price is still a struggle for my brain.  I’m sure it’s a better paddle but I’m a weekend paddler looking for a quality paddle. Sure, I'm working on technique and could use all the help I can get. But will I really notice and appreciate the difference over something like the Wiki 84?  And is that difference likely to be worth the cost? It's a hard sell but I'll think about it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
I've had tons of boards, but only a handful of paddles. And of those paddles, I've been using the same two for probably 6 or 7 years. I did just pickup an old used Riviera on CL for $40. to beat up surfing. It's lighter and a little shorter than the one I'd been using for surfing. The shaft is really stiff, but that's fine for surfing. I wouldn't want to paddle distance with it.
It's not overhead to me!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal