Author Topic: Sun Protection  (Read 3887 times)

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sun Protection
« on: August 24, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
Any advice on the best long sleeve rashguard for sun protection ?   Looking for the most protection for arms & shoulders

thanks

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sun Protection
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
I've found that any long-sleeved rashguard works just fine. Some are advertised as 50 SPF, but I'm not sure that just about any comfortable cloth covering wouldn't have the same protection, just w/o having to test for it. I prefer loose fitting like this, but I know others who prefer the more "second skin" type like this...all just personal preference obviously.

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:34:17 AM »
I swear by BloqUV https://www.bloquv.com
I have had 2 melanomas and have to be very, very careful with sun exposure.  I love their tops which are all UPF 50 + and come in many colors and a few different styles.  They are also stylish and quick drying , so you could wear one SUPing, and then look good enough to go out for lunch.

They are a little pricier than other tops, but I think their quality, protection and styling are worth it.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 06:44:06 AM »
I have had good luck with Victory KoreDry.  Long Sleeve 50uv  Victorykoredry.com

Cruisinby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.    Paddle on !! 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 06:02:42 AM »
I thought I would stay out of this one...  We probably made somewhere between 8-10,000 bits of Lyrcra 'in the day'.  Short/Long, socks, tights, caps - multi-weights of Lycra and Polarflece... a bunch. Nothing we made then, compares to what you can buy today on Amazon. In fact, I just ordered medium in a super-comfortable, SS workout shirt, I bought in Lg for PT, to use in the water. They were like, 2-for $10. (5-10, 175lbs)

SPF reminds me of the supplement for the brain on TV that is 'Made from Jelly Fish' - Prevagen.  (Jellies, of course, known as among the smartest creatures on the planet..)  There are a whole range of bullshit claims that the Gvmt. has never required 'to be proven', SPF among them. 

OZ, by contrast, gives-a-C'hit about their populace, and mandates label statements be true. (I only buy OZ-made sun creams for that reason.)  So, yes, support your local surf company if that makes you feel better.  But, if you want a true, block-out shirt - order a black, LONG SLEEVE, workout shirt.  Even on these hot/muddy days, it feels cool when wet. (..like $15 on Amazon - flat seams, stretch, the whole deal.)

Jim

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/skeptical-cardiologist/80321

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 06:14:12 AM »
I was just thinking about ..."'Made from Jelly Fish".  I am not smart enough to know any science but I intuit that, like similar claims from Our Dear Leader, if you make a statement that seems patently crazy—with authority—many people will simply bow to the fact "He/they would not get on television and say that ...if it was not true." 

Jim

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 06:39:19 AM »
Doesn't "itching powder" come from dried jellyfish?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 11:45:51 AM »
Or, Sea Lice, Bean...   ' get them in your baggies! 

Jim

sailwave

• HMB - OB surf patrol
  • Waikiki Status
  • HMB - OB surf patrol
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 01:29:25 PM »
Damn that is a good price for a SPF50 water shirt, $17. Just ordered one with so little to lose from the "loose fit" link above. Thanks!
185 lb, 5' 10"
Starboard 9' Pro  (windsup option)
Mistral Pacifico Wave 11' (windsup option)
Starboard 8'5" Pocket Rocket (windsup option)
Naish Hover Crossover 7'4" (windfoil, wingfoil, SUP foil, SUP)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
Here's that 2-for-$10. Amazon shirt.  As someone who's made clothing, I look at this and marvel that someone/anyone can make a few dollars with the three stages of marketing this went through to get to me; everybody got a piece. Before them, the machine, fabric, thread, power company, in-house labor, and the landlord got theirs.  C'hit.

This was not flat-seamed like we did, but it is also not designed to be skin-tight for under a wetsuit, etc.  One pretty trick detail is the back of the collar.  The collar is commonly serged on - which is normal.  But!

A. They kept the stupid label away from your neck. 

B. Laid in a strip of fabric so five rows of thread are covered eliminating any likely chafing.

....all for $5. delivered (I pay Amazon a fee to pretend it is 'free' shipping.)

Jim 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 07:37:43 PM »
Here's that 2-for-$10. Amazon shirt.  As someone who's made clothing, I look at this and marvel that someone/anyone can make a few dollars with the three stages of marketing this went through to get to me; everybody got a piece. Before them, the machine, fabric, thread, power company, in-house labor, and the landlord got theirs.  C'hit.
Jim

That's not the usual three layers of people who get their cut. The three layers are manufacturer, distributor, retailer and that would take a ten buck shirt and turn it into a 30 buck shirt (or more). Amazon gets about 15% (a little more if it's prime), which everyone who sells through Amazon bitches about. Give me a fucking break. I used to deal with national and international fulfillment companies. If I'd said, "I'll give you 15% of retail to warehouse, pick, box, and ship my product" they wouldn't have even laughed at me. They would just hang up the phone.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 08:43:47 AM »
Accepted, Bill.  I still find it totally mind-boggling these shirts can go from EBF, China onto my back for $5.  In the day, when there was still US-made Lycra, the cloth would have been ~$3 in NYC. 

Jim

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal