Author Topic: Armstrong wing  (Read 2622 times)

jlv

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Armstrong wing
« on: August 22, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
Any review, any opinion about?

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:37:11 AM by deja vu »

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong wing
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:05:53 PM »

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:24:50 AM »
Tried the 3.5. Impressed with the low end, stiff air frame,  stability, quiet leech, comfy handles, speed. Downsides are: slightly heavy feeling (not bad though), pulls like a tractor most of the time so quite physical to ride. Great product overall but would love to see it shed a bit of weight. I may end up buying one.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

wingsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 11:58:25 PM »
I have an Armstrong 5.5. I bought it last year on impulse because I could not find any retailer at the time with a Naish S25 5.3.  I had decided I needed a 5.3 because I had a couple of sessions where I felt overpowered with my S25 6.0 but underpowered with my S25 4.6.

When I started using the Armstrong 5.5, I immediately felt that it provided more power than my 6.0. I sold the S25 6.0 because for my skill level, they were too similar, and the 6.0 was slightly older. I honestly felt the Armstrong wing was arbitrary/mislabeled. However, people advise getting the same brand for your wing quiver so one can switch sizes and still feel comfortable with the sail's characteristics.  I only Stand Paddle Boarded before March 2020, no sailing, wind-surfing, kiting experience.

The more I used the Armstrong 5.5; I love the Y handles. When I feel overpowered on the strut, switching to the lower Y handle causes significantly less stress on my front arm/elbow. When I am underpowered and just slogging with the wing, the Y handles allow more hand/arm positions. You don't need the Y handles for winging, but I believe they expand the wing's usable wind range. 

For me on when up on the foil, the Armstrong 5.5 windows are useless. I really can only see out the windows when slogging.  My closest water access point is the Port of RWC, where I  always have to slog to get out to the wind and slog back in. When slogging back-in, I sometimes have the wing held directly in front of me and the wind on my back, which is one reason why I rule out buying non-window wings,  as one would need to raise/lower the wing continually. When up on the foil windows provide some safety and simple viewing pleasure, it's a negative that the Armstrong 5.5 windows are so poorly placed. Supposedly they are correctly positioned on the 4.5 and 3.5 and useable when up on the foil.

The valve of the Armstrong wing sucks compared to the Naish valve. Deflation is excellent, but inflation can be frustrating. The handles are great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal