Author Topic: Foil broke away - lost.  (Read 3817 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Foil broke away - lost.
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
A kiter in the area posted the total loss of his foil when the mount pulled away from the Liquid Force board he was riding.  He did not specify his actions or the details prior to the loss, but is there a way to mitigate with some technology?  $1-2k, atop the cost of the board, makes for an expensive outing.

What about a bluetooth tracker like the Tile?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

container

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil broke away - lost.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
could use a mounting system that doesnt rely on thin plastic tracks and only the peel strength of the bottom skin keeping it in there?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
Foil Leash. Just add a leash plug to the bottom ::) Or maybe an FFD (Foil Flotation Device) ....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »
Copy, 'tainer... but that means big names need to raise already high prices or cut margins.  He is going to appeal 'production flaw'.  'Naive. 

Plus - he didn't say anything about his activity before the loss.  Kiters can move pretty fast and the Chesapeake Bay has been known to have hardwood-alligators migrating to the Atlantic at Norfolk. (there was a TS not long ago..)  I'll come back if I hear more than just the result.

Jim

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »
T-D - you got it.  Bit of Spectra -'no resistance- bring it back up to the existing leash plug.  I'll do that myself, thanks.

(typical overthink: I was going to contact Tile about grinding one to a smaller size to slip into the mast...I have them but never used them?!)

Jim

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
I have 2 friends who've had this happen. Both cases boards were made by top named brands, fell riding waves, boxes broke, foils sank. One was over a shallow reef and was able to dive down and get it. The other was towing with a jetski a mile out riding wind swell. Lost his whole foil setup...

Simple solution, foil leash. One end is attached to foil plate, the other has a loop that my leash goes through when I attach my leash to my board. So leash goes through board string and foil string.

Now just trying to figure out how to get to shore while winging, with a foil only attached by a string and no fins/foils/skegs on the board!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:04:15 PM by bigmtn »

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 12:00:01 PM »
When I had a heavy sinker foil and questionable track install I used various ropes tied around the mast connected to the leash plug.  Thick or thin i didn't notice any drag.

That board looks like a forceful impact, fin boxes look ripped to pieces.

Years ago someone mentioned chinook boxes being strong.   I've tested a bunch of different boxes and chinook are by far the strongest I've used.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
I do the same. Tiny string is all you need to prevent this. I do it every time. I’ve even used paracord and didn’t feel it.

I honestly assume the mount will break eventually having built boards and seeing the forces on foils. I’m astonished this isn’t more common.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
the kiter was using screws too long and that likely caused the two piece type fin box to split. Notice deep screw damage. Also notice the bottom of the box is still there. The shitty two piece boxes common in the old days, because tooling cost is lower, have no business being used on foil boards.

The one piece boxes are Futures and Chinook. Don’t use anything but those. Chinook is king.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »
Those LF Galaxy boards are terrible.   

I think a lot of full carbon foils float though I have never tested mine.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 06:36:30 PM »
Does anyone know if a GoFoil rig will float or sink in this situation?

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »
gofoils rigs float

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »
Good catch DW, I was wondering why the bottoms of the boxes were still in place. Yup, as crappy as it is to use a piece o' junk two-piece box, the kiter did this to themselves.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
Hate to say it, but not all Go Foils float. Friend lost a GL180/18W, 29.5 Tuttle w/adapter a little over a month ago, and it's still not washed up anywhere (that we know of).

However, last week another friend forgot to put the Tuttle to adapter mounting bolts, so when his GL140/18N, and standard 24" mast separated from the adapter, it all floated. The leading edge of the 140 was just visible above the waterline, but floating nonetheless.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

judoChop!

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »
However, last week another friend forgot to put the Tuttle to adapter mounting bolts, so when his GL140/18N, and standard 24" mast separated from the adapter, it all floated. The leading edge of the 140 was just visible above the waterline, but floating nonetheless.
that's hilarious.

re: OP's board. yup, screws too long, buuuuut.... it's a liquid force. they've always made crap kite products. They often fail. They are now out of business (kite department at least).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal