Author Topic: The gorge / hood river area  (Read 3174 times)

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
The gorge / hood river area
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »
Hi all I am a competent prone foiler from Maui that just bought a sup and wing dings. I want to go up to the gorge with the family in 2 weeks and take off work and learn to downwind and wing ding. I have a few questions as I am a newb to the area and downwind.

We are currently traveling in our adventure trailer I built.

1. Where is a good quiet campsite that I can park my little trailer? its self sustained and no hookups are needed it will fit anywhere a truck will we want a quiet place close to the water.

2. is there a guide on where to launch and get out ect?

3. Does anyone want to meet up and take a newb out? I am a competent waterman just new to downinding only done it in a outrigger

4. any suggestions for the area? places to wing routes to run, food ect

5. I need a pfd I assume any recommendations?

6.Really excited to get to learn these two branches of foiling . Thanks for any input

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The gorge / hood river area
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »

Hi all I am a competent prone foiler from Maui that just bought a sup and wing dings. I want to go up to the gorge with the family in 2 weeks and take off work and learn to downwind and wing ding. I have a few questions as I am a newb to the area and downwind.

We are currently traveling in our adventure trailer I built.

1. Where is a good quiet campsite that I can park my little trailer? its self sustained and no hookups are needed it will fit anywhere a truck will we want a quiet place close to the water.

Probably the best place is the campsite at Viento State Park if you can get a reservation. Viento is the starting point for the traditional Gorge downwinder, usually ending at the event center.

2. is there a guide on where to launch and get out ect?
See above.

3. Does anyone want to meet up and take a newb out? I am a competent waterman just new to downinding only done it in a outrigger

I've been avoiding shuttling. My wife has diabetes which makes any potential for a COVID infection life-threatening. I do downwinders every day, but they start out with upwinders from the Event Center, which are easy to do with a wing. There are some guys getting together for Viento runs but there is no formal shuttle running as there usually would be this time of year.

4. any suggestions for the area? places to wing routes to run, food ect
Hood River has all kinds of great restaurants, it's a town of 7500 with infrastructure for 50,000. But the fruit, fish, wine, beer, cheese, etc. in this area is off the charts great. It's peach season, and you can't get Hood River peaches anywhere but in Hood River--we don't grow bulk commercial quantities so the growers pick them almost ripe for best flavor, which means they can't be transported. Don't miss that. And Salmon and steelhead of course. Great to barbeque at your campsite.

As far as sites go, the Gorge is 100 miles long. 200 counting both sides. The potential is endless but there are lots of classic locations. Hood River event center, Mosier, Rowena, Rufus, Arlington, Blaylock on the Oregon side. Stevenson, home valley, wonder bar, Dougs, Lyle, Maryhill, the wall on the Washington side. All good.

5. I need a pfd I assume any recommendations?
An impact vest will be more practical and the river cops assume it's a legal PFD.

6.Really excited to get to learn these two branches of foiling . Thanks for any input

The website for Viento reservations is here: https://www.reserveamerica.com/explore/viento-state-park/OR/409502/overview

Grab what you can for a reservation, the state parks fill up fast.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:05:48 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
Thanks bill hope I see you out there. I will freeze to death since I get cold on maui lol

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Thanks bill hope I see you out there. I will freeze to death since I get cold on maui lol

Just curios, how come you’re not getting your feet wet downwinding in Maui?
I’ll choose the Gorge every time but still, Maui has it in abundance. Just ask Bill
in progress...

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
For launches, you can look online for the CGW2 windsurfing guide.  It is pretty comprehensive including fees, etc. 

Unfortunately shuttling is difficult this year due to the virus issues but a common DW run is Viento to Event Site (about 8 miles).

For winging, until you can stay upwind most start at the Hook or Luhr Jensen and end up at the Event Site.   You can walk back to Jensen and repeat.  The Hook is a bit far to walk with all the equipment. (G maps has all these places marked).  There is also a wind shadow from Wells Island when you first start out from the Hook but it is not uncommon to see 4-5 beginner wingers there mid morning when the wind starts coming up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 06:17:35 PM »

Today was an amazing day, ridiculous wind and swell. I'd still be in the water but I was freezing my ass off. I need to either wear more rubber or wear some kind of windproof shell. Even if it's 85 degrees air temp and the water is about 70 with the wind blasting at 40+ the evaporation off a wetsuit turns thin springsuits into refrigerators. Something to remember--you're going to get cold. I still haven't warmed up completely.

Admin and I had a blast in the crazy wind and huge swells. Tiny wings (3.5) and tiny foils (860 for me, 760 for Admin) We both came in babbling and freezing. SO much fun. SO hard to stop.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:49:58 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
I need to either wear more rubber or wear some kind of windproof shell.

ProMotion ExoSkin top works pretty well for me.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
O’neil Slasher works well for me. Also that extra insulation is really nice.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 12:49:04 AM »
Hi GRVN,

STOKED that you are making a Gorge trip.  You are coming at one of the best times of year.  Light crowds, great weather, great wind. 

Our favorite campground in the area is Tucker Park.  It has beautiful campsites right on the banks of the Hood River (not the Columbia).  https://www.co.hood-river.or.us/?SEC=23A363AA-6590-4D1E-97A9-1EABD8672BBE.  It is a short drive to town and the activity beaches but there are no trains (like all of the Columbia campgrounds on both sides).  I sleep like a baby with those amazing river sounds.  Not sure of the Covid specifics there. 

If you are a new winger you might want to start at the Event site.  It is a very mellow launch with no immediate current.  There is a long sandbar downwind which protects the launch from the current and makes what amounts to windy lake conditions for about a half mile out.  Outside of that you have full current and Gorge swell.  You also have access to Swell City and the Hatchery which are some of the bigger swell launches about 3 miles upwind.  There are many great swell locations in between and you can easily do up and downwinders from the Event Site.  We do that all the time and will be happy to do one of those with you.

You can also do a pure short 3 mile downwinder from Swell City to the Event Site if you want to skip the upwind.  That has a few outs (Hatchery, Hook) if you need them while you are getting warmed up. 

Yesterday was an incredible day here.  Pure gorge Brilliance.  Super strong wind, overhead swell, and a bunch of screaming wingers tethered to tiny wings.  It was awesome being out there with Bill, Chan and a bunch of other lunatics.  I think I aged my 3.5 two years in two hours. 

Looking forward to seeing you here!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:51:57 AM by Admin »

GRVN

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 12:25:50 PM »
Thanks we got here in coos a few weeks ago I was headed to the gorge then the fires hit Im bummed really wanted to get to try it. We are here till the end of the month.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal