Author Topic: Looking for SUPs for a couple of lightweights  (Read 2423 times)

kleinbiker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for SUPs for a couple of lightweights
« on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:25 AM »
Hi, we are looking for a couple of SUPs to use in SoCal. We are beginners 5'11" 125 lbs and 5'5" 105 lbs. Planning to use it mostly for casual paddling and slowly get into paddle surfing. Looking for something light, need to lug it a few blocks to the beach. So far we've only tried bigger boards - 32" wide, 200+ liters, nothing smaller.

I ran some online SUP calculators but the numbers are all over the place. Any recommendations on length, width and volume that may be suitable? Am thinking of getting something from Craigslist to start with. Is something like 8'5 x 29 x 3.8 too aggressive for either of us?

Thanks.
-Klein
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:35:11 AM by kleinbiker »

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for SUPs for a couple of lightweights
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
Hi,
I like to focus on guild factor.  I've heard that it is useful to factor height, and to add a kg to your weight for every inch that you are over 5'9".
You are 57 kg, with a height adjustment that is 59 kg.
The 8'5" x 29" x 3.8"  is  118 L, which gives the 59 kg rider a factor of 2.
In the guild factor, I've heard the skill level rating is:
Beginner = 2        (118 L @ 59kg; 96 L @ 48kg)     
Intermediate = 1.7      (100 L @ 59 kg; 82L @ 48 kg)
Advance = 1.5            (88.5 L @ 59 kg; 72 L @ 48 kg)
Pro = 1.3                    (77 L @ 59 kg; 62L @ 48 kg)
I would think a 100 L and 80 L board would be a good pair for the two of you for surf conditions.
Width is a preference thing.  If you ride in glassy conditions, you can get away with narrower.  If you ride in choppy conditions, you will appreciate a wider board.  I would think a 30" width board would be comfortable, a 31" would be super comfortable, but I would think a 29" board would be fine.  I believe the learning curve is faster with a shorter wide board compared to a longer narrow board.
For SoCal, I would check out Infinity and Joe Blair (custom) if you don't have any luck with craigslist.  Hobie (custom) and Starboard make very light boards.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 10:16:34 AM »
Welcome to the Zone. There is an awesome board on CL SoCal right now. I'm tempted to buy it myself. It's a great cruiser for a lighter person, and pure magic for anyone in the surf. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/costa-mesa-114-sup-naish/7179665734.html  It's an Iggy shape. My brother has one and one of mu good friends have one. I have the 11'6 version with a lot more volume. These boards are bullet proof. In 12 years I've never had to repair mine and it still looks exactly the same as when I bought it. Just a few paint chips.
For a little more surf oriented board but stable https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/huntington-beach-sup-kings-super-simmons/7166558371.html These are will built boards. Not like the Naish, but still good quality made here in SoCal.
Again more surf related boards , but both top quality and about the right size for both of you. I imagine these to be pretty light as well. https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/redondo-beach-sup-surf-boards/7161817560.html

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 10:38:56 AM »
Hi Klein,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm also a lightweight (5'8", 135-140 lbs).  I'm currently sidelined with injuries, but when I'm surfing stand up, my comfortable board is 7'6 x 28", 95 L.  My higher performance board is 7'4 x 26, 81 L.  I'm an intermediate stand up surfer.  The volume makes a big difference for light riders.  Too much volume can be really corky out on the water and feel wobbly.  Big boards for lightweight riders can also be difficult to control.

A while back, me and some friends (beginner-intermediates, 135-255 lbs) did some pretty geeky analysis on volume based on  4-5 guys trying 15+ boards.  Here's what we came up with (aimed at intermediate riders).

135 lbs: 79-95 L
145 lbs: 85-101 L
155 lbs: 91-109 L
165 lbs: 97-116 L
175 lbs: 103-123 L
185 lbs: 109-130 L
195 lbs: 115-137 L
205 lbs: 121-144 L
215 lbs: 127-151 L
225 lbs: 133-158 L
235 lbs: 139-165 L

I'm sure some on here might disagree with those numbers, but those ranges have really worked well for my crew.  For beginners at 105-125 lbs, you may want to try something in the 80-105 L range (for surf).

You'll be surprised how fast you'll progress and how much better a board feels after a 3rd session on it (vs the first).  If you feel really comfortable on a board the first time you stand on it, it's probably too big and you'll out-grow it quickly.

Width is key for stability and rideability.  32" wide for your size is probably a bit to wide for surf (in my opinion).  I'd suggest trying something between 28-30" wide (again, thinking about surf), though at 5'5 & 105 lbs, you might be fine on something 26-28" wide.

Length won't effect stability overall as much as width & volume, but will really effect how the board surfs and glides.  My suggestion would be something 7'5 to 8'8 to start (but that is a rough suggestion).  Of course, the shape of the board (rail lines, rocker, etc) will really effect how it feels out there.  I'm also a fan of lightweight boards for light riders.  For me, light boards make all the difference (to carry, to get out past the break, and to surf on).  I've never regretted spending a little extra money for a lighter board.

One board shape that me and a few of my friends have really had good luck on that works well in a lot of conditions is the Infinity RNB.  It's a stable shape (parallel rails, good volume in the nose) and fun to surf on.  In SoCal, you might find some good used options out there. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 11:04:41 AM »
Beasho's DIY carry strap is worth it's weight in gold (highly recommend):
https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34762.msg398654.html#msg398654
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

kleinbiker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the detailed suggestions, it's really appreciated. I will look for a board 29"/30" wide and around 100 liters and see how we both take to it. Will post back once I've got something.

-Klein

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:22:18 PM »
The recommendations here seem to ve based on the assumption thst you want surf SUPs. But your OP said that you want them mainly for distance paddling. If you are thinking mainly about covering some mikes then it would be better to consider linger boards than mentioned here. Maybe in the 10ft range. 28.5-30" wide is a good starting place for reasonably  athletic lightweight beginners, for a board that llength. How about a Jimmy Lewis Cruise Control 10’6″x28.75″x4.3″ (150L)? You'd happily rack.upma lot of distance miles on that but it is surfable too, when yiu start out, and it is light, durable and very well-made. Thousands of people have started their SUP journey on one of those, including me, about 13 years ago.

kleinbiker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
I guess I should have clarified intended usage. We are planning to use it mostly for casual paddling and for getting into surf supping, not looking at doing long distance paddling as much. Thanks.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 02:51:39 PM »
I guess I should have clarified intended usage. We are planning to use it mostly for casual paddling and for getting into surf supping, not looking at doing long distance paddling as much. Thanks.
Ok so what is "casual paddling"  if it isn't paddling distance and not surf? Can you describe what you envisage doing, exactly?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 06:41:28 AM »
A10, I don't know where klein is located, but "casual" vs "distance" paddling on our area is pretty different in activity, and board choice.

We have Dana Point Harbor that sits right next to once famous (until the harbor f'd it up) Doheny surf beach if you turn left out of it, and the open ocean if you turn to the right when leaving the harbor.

So "casual paddling and for getting into surf supping" is launching at the north end of the harbor and paddling about 1/2-3/4 of a mile to Doho, surfing for however long, and then paddling back. This is typically done on whatever surf sup craft you like - I've done it on a 7'8"x30 sup, on a 14x26 sup, and everything in between - as the short "casual" paddle to and from the surf site is in protected waters with very little chop or cross currents to deal with.

On the other side, "long distance paddling" is launching at the same north end of the harbor, paddling that same 1/2-3/4 of a mile to the harbor entrance, turning right, and heading out to more open waters where chop, swells, cross currents, and sometimes large boat wakes can be challenging on the smaller surf sup craft, and when a more traditional race or distance paddling board of the 12-14' length and much narrower is better suited for the journey.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 06:43:03 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 05:57:50 AM »
Hi kleinbiker, welcome to the Zone and the joys of paddling!
"Planning to use it mostly for casual paddling and slowly get into paddle surfing"

A perfect way to start your journey. Casual paddling, is how I roll.... it's in my name:
I SUP the creeks, slowly... soaking up the nature that surrounds me.
For years my paddling flat-water was done exclusively on surf SUPs, meandering up every estuary I could find.
My goal was never speed or distance.... just getting on the water and enjoying all that it gives to me.

You have gotten good advice here, on board size etc.

Honing your skills on flat-water before entering the surf zone is important.
After you master the basic paddle skills, try to paddle in areas where you encounter waves and backwash so you can adjust to the conditions you will find in the surf zone.

When you decide to hit the surf, wait for a small, glassy day.
Give yourself the best conditions for success!
Pick an empty stretch of beach (early mornings are good for that)
Prepare to be humbled and enjoy the process.
It doesn't take long to adjust to riding a wave on SP, but the first encounter is challenging to everyone.
That goes away quickly and you are on your way!

Here's my idea of casual paddling and relaxing along with my daughter.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal