Author Topic: shape3D guru (help please!)  (Read 14825 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: shape3D guru (help please!)
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
I couldn't find anyone who would accept anything other than boardcad or shape3d, so I redid everything into that format.   Looking at the cut I'm also wondering what's the point?  I'm going to finish off the board, but I'll be looking for someone else who will take a little more care with the cutting for next time.  You live and learn

Good luck with the build. Next time look into APS3000 for cuts, very impressive results. Looking forward seeing the finished product.
in progress...

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2020, 06:25:15 AM »
Are people willing to share their recommendations for 'cutters' who are better at different CAD formats and/or non-standard surfboard shapes?

The picture of the cut also shows what good side lighting can reveal in a shape or blank.

All the best for the build!
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2020, 10:26:49 AM »
Are people willing to share their recommendations for 'cutters' who are better at different CAD formats and/or non-standard surfboard shapes?

The picture of the cut also shows what good side lighting can reveal in a shape or blank.

All the best for the build!

Following.

I am planning to try Marko Foam (Huntington Beach, CA) for cutting a wing foil board shape soon. They almost certainly cut only using their own foam blocks and blanks (but that works for me). I know Marko cuts Shape3dX files (...what I am using). Shape3D maintains a list of compatible cutters on their website. I suspect Marko also cuts from AkuShaper (and other CAD programs?). They offer both standard and also precision cuts that don't require much scrubbing....may be almost ready to glass. It seems they cuts lots of boards.  I think they even cut for real professional shapers. I look forward to other peoples' recommendations for other foam cutters to consider.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2020, 03:19:20 PM »
yeah, I think next time I might try Marko foam.  This time around I literally never even though to ask for a fine cut, although now its fairly obvious.

Nice shape liv2surf!  can't wait to see it come to life.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
Marko does a good job and has good prices. Brian at ProCam, Inc in Huntington Beach has been doing it the longest of anyone I know. He cut a race board for me years ago / via Hobie. He knows all the file types and can tell right away if something doesn't look right in the file. He converted my Shape3D into a DXF and cut my 18' board in half. Ran the front half then the back. I just glued them together. Basham's in San Clemente does a nice job as well. They have a relatively new machine. I spoke with their operator and he didn't know how to chop an 18' board into two files. He may have figured it out by now?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »
I don't know if Dave Daum (King Surfboards) does just blanks for folks, but he can make his machines bark like a dog. I was super impressed at his ability with the tech.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 10:47:22 AM »

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:49:19 AM by jondrums »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2020, 10:50:53 AM »
Rides fantastic.  Came in at 16# with pad, straps, handle, rail tape.  Perfectly balanced center of gravity over with wing.  Still need to play with the placement of the foil, but it works absolutely awesome.  Really really stable platform in the water.  I'm stoked!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »
Looks amazing! Great to read it work just as well. Congrats 8)
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal