Author Topic: shape3D guru (help please!)  (Read 14831 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: shape3D guru (help please!)
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2020, 08:44:16 PM »
creating this tail in Shape3D is a disaster.  I ended up making a bunch of slices to replicate the ghost board.  Its a bit ugly on screen, but will be really easy to fair out with a sanding board - no creative shaping necessary, just cleaning it up.

Good enough. Can't wait to see it comes to life.
in progress...

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
Have you noticed Kalama doesn’t shape his rail at all. Flat dam square, top and bottom edge sharp. That adds HUGE stability. You gave away all stability rounding your rails.

Thanks for the tip.  Makes total sense that volume out at the edges has the biggest impact.  But "give away all stability" by having round edges?  Hard to believe that - why?

When I first prototyped square rails a few years ago, it doubled the stability of the board. It blew my mind how much it improved.

Dwight, I am trying to understand why you chime the rails on your wing foil boards, since you said square rails are so stable and since with wings I believe we are not leaning over so far as kite foil racers to need a deep chime to have board rail not hit the water.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2020, 01:38:47 PM »
Read 'Unlocking the Sky'   https://www.amazon.com/Unlocking-Sky-Hammond-Curtiss-Airplane-ebook/dp/B0014H32FS  Glen Curtiss invented the chines so his sea plane could break the surface tension in water and take flight. Plus it's just a great frick'n read. Glen Curtiss is the true father of modern aviation. Wright brothers were stiffs. The only reason they got any credit is because they were the first one's to lawyer up. They just copied other peoples work and took credit.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:44:34 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2020, 06:25:17 PM »
I helped launch a Curtis seaplane near Watkins Glen once. Mostly I was tall enough to catch the wing when it blew towards the dock. Amazing piece of equipment. I'll have to get that book. I think I would have liked to meet Mr. Curtis.

https://www.ponostyle.com/aa-punted-at-watkins-glen/

My race car, Peyote, got more or less destroyed by a dickhead in a Corvette at this race at Watkins Glen. The most significant thing about this race for me was not that my car got smushed (I fixed that) but that my brother David was there, and he had a great time watching me race. We had time together, and a little while later he died--had a heart attack and drowned trying to help a guy that had grounded a rented sailboat. It was so good that he was there, and that we connected so well and so effortlessly at this race. It wasn't always this way between us, but I got the chance to enjoy my brother, and it was good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
That was a good read Bill. Nice memory of your brother. Good to reflect from time to time.
It's not overhead to me!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »
finally got the blank cut, shaping next - a little more of a rough cut than I thought it would be

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 05:39:13 PM »
That looks like it was cut on one of those old CNC wheel cutter machines. The new small router head type machines cut it so tight you barely have to finish sand them.
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 06:03:08 PM »
That's the roughest I've seen. APS3000 rules. Looking forward to see the build.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »
It kind of defeats the purpose of fine tuning your Shape3D file....
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 09:40:46 PM »
With that logic why even use Shape3D at all...
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2020, 10:51:48 PM »
With that logic why even use Shape3D at all...
Seriously, I could get that close with my hand saw.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:55:01 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2020, 04:46:46 AM »

What's your point TD. The op already knows he got a bad cut, why rain on his parade now.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 09:01:46 AM »

What's your point TD. The op already knows he got a bad cut, why rain on his parade now.
My point is, some times we get caught up in the tech and ultimately the result isn't what we expected. I'm not trying to throw salt in the wound. Before I had my first board CNC'd I asked a lot of questions about the machine. After about a couple of phone calls and I was about to pay for it, the operator notices that my board exceeds their width limit by 3/4". The person I was talking to was just a salesman. I found a different place who even offered me extra pass options for a finer cut. Which created more questions for me about their machine and cutting head. I was learning. The board still came out with some small flat spots that was a Shape3D programing mistake on my part.
It's not overhead to me!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »

My point is, some times we get caught up in the tech and ultimately the result isn't what we expected.

I for one wouldn't want to dumb-down my shape on the account of a crappy operator. There's a lot of time and thinking going into a nice shape. I'll take the same time to find a good
operator/builder who's taking pride in his work, otherwise why bother? Get one off the shelf and be done with it. My foil board turned out exactly as the file. The operator told me he'd rather
get a Rhino file than a shape3D to guaranty exact match so I rebuilt the board in Rhino and it was worth it. As expected with such attention to detail, the build quality is on a class of it's own
for anything available on the market at that price point.

If I just want to test a concept I'm working on and get a prototype, I'll give it to my local shaper. I know for a fact that whatever I put into the shape will NOT fully translate to the finished board.
Same goes for the craftsmanship. Learned that the hard way. Point is, there are still good shapers/builders out there. If you want something special, give it to someone special and make sure
you pay them well rather than nickel and dime them.
in progress...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
I couldn't find anyone who would accept anything other than boardcad or shape3d, so I redid everything into that format.   Looking at the cut I'm also wondering what's the point?  I'm going to finish off the board, but I'll be looking for someone else who will take a little more care with the cutting for next time.  You live and learn

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal