Author Topic: shape3D guru (help please!)  (Read 14954 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
shape3D guru (help please!)
« on: August 19, 2020, 10:08:40 AM »
I have a board design I want to execute and I can't get Shape3D to do what I want.  I have it modelled in CAD software and can export in STL/IGES/etc - but none of the board CNC guys can program their cutters from anything other than Aku or Shape3D file.   So I'm trying to redo it in Shape3D.  I've got the design I want in there as a ghost, so that's a start.  Need some specific advise from someone with experience.  Private message is fine - thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: shape3D guru (help please!)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
Talldude is your guy, or my brother Bob (stoneaxe). PM them. I tried importing the file you sent me into Shape3D and couldn't get it to work. I sort of got it into Fusion3d, but it required a lot of goofy steps and I haven't figured out how to make changes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 10:59:44 AM »
Have you e.mailed them. They have always been super helpful for me. The hollow board functions have got better and better over the years.
 If enough people ask for the same thing they will add it in the next update. So any ideas you have let them know.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 11:06:39 AM »
yeah, they've been pretty responsive over email.  They pretty much confirmed that it can't be done without redesigning it in Shape3D.  So I paid for a month's license (I am very thankful that they price it that way) and I'm on my way.  Fiddled and faddled for a while to get it to import as a ghost board, which helps immensely.  Its really just that the shape I want doesn't loft into orthogonal cross sections nicely. 

PonoBill - I WILL get this into shape3D, I'm determined.  I can always re-share once I do

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 11:36:34 AM »
I'll help if I can. Did some heavy lifting with Shape3D including my new foil board, which was the easiest job by far but had to export it to STL so I could finish in Rhino3D to adapt it for the builder machine.
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »
I paid for a month's license (I am very thankful that they price it that way) and I'm on my way.  Fiddled and faddled for a while to get it to import as a ghost board, which helps immensely.  Its really just that the shape I want doesn't loft into orthogonal cross sections nicely. 

I just learn about this 'one month license' purchase for the level you need, from a fellow Zoner (Paul) who I was surfing with a few days ago. That was a good move on Shape3D's part. Usually the person operating the CNC machine can clean up your file if you sit with them for a few minutes. Some CNC machines have limitations and the result is weird flat spots or worse. The actual operators know their machines. They are not at all the same from machine to machine.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 11:54:58 AM »
If anyone is curious about the issue, STL file can be downloaded here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dpqfcih7pw898q/5_8_117L_binflipped.stl?dl=0

This imports into Shape3D as a ghost file or can be viewed in the 3D viewer.  Or there are plenty of other ways to view a STL file like this online viewer
https://www.viewstl.com/

The issue is all around the tail area. 
1) The whole tail profile was created with a linear sweep around the bottom contour.  When viewed as a slice, it isn't a straight line from the bottom to the rail.  So the bottom shape of the tail just isn't looking good when generated from a bunch of slices in Shape3D.
2) I can't get the deck to rail radius to blend around the corner smoothly.  This could be dealt with by hand sanding after the CNC cut, so not super worried about this,  but kind of a bummer not to be able to get it to do what I want.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
The 1 month license is a winner. Not that easy to find though.Thats what I did ages ago. When the free version was awsome I designed a load of boards. Then took the 1 month license and saved them all. Then I took the 1 year. Luckily that has run out. Not sure I am ready to play dot to dot again.
 Aku and Shape 3D dont seem to like to share files either. Not surprising as they are the only 2 programs you can use!
 As said there seems to be problems in the tail.
 The company that cut the blanks for me just said dont worry hand sand it. Again as said here.
 Sometimes it looks worse on the computer than it is.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 12:48:41 PM »
The issue is all around the tail area. 
1) The whole tail profile was created with a linear sweep around the bottom contour.  When viewed as a slice, it isn't a straight line from the bottom to the rail.  So the bottom shape of the tail just isn't looking good when generated from a bunch of slices in Shape3D.
2) I can't get the deck to rail radius to blend around the corner smoothly.  This could be dealt with by hand sanding after the CNC cut, so not super worried about this,  but kind of a bummer not to be able to get it to do what I want.

I can see how this could be an issue. If you can post the shape3D file for download I could see how it looks like on your end and maybe suggest an approach.
in progress...

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »
What I have now is looking pretty ugly, but the solution might be a whole bunch more slices.  Still learning how to edit curves, which I think could help also.

in-work Shape3d file here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ka6zzxvnwbte0b/5_8_117.s3dx?dl=0

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
ps. you can load the STL file above as a ghost - I don't think the shape file includes the ghost shape

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 01:30:01 PM »
What I have now is looking pretty ugly, but the solution might be a whole bunch more slices.  Still learning how to edit curves, which I think could help also.

in-work Shape3d file here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ka6zzxvnwbte0b/5_8_117.s3dx?dl=0

The key in shape3D is simplicity. The least amount of control points and slices will usually generate the smoothest shape without kinks. You would sometime compromise on some minor
aesthetics but if you identify and choose the right placement for key slices, Shape3D will calculate the transitions nicely, the trick is to play with the tangents controls between consecutive slices thus manipulating Shape3d to generate the preferred transition.

My method is usually starting with a lot more controls and slices to get to reasonable shape and then start eliminating controls and slices to let shape3d do its thing. once there I start with fine tuning.

I'll look further into the file and see if I have more suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 01:32:26 PM by burchas »
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 01:35:09 PM »
I found less slices and make sure the widest point on the rail is an apex. If you let the program do the work it will. I think I ended up with 5 slices for a 14 ft board.
 Say goodbye to hours of your life.
 There is a 1 month and 1 year option.
 The free version used to be awsome. It slowly got worse and you had to pay.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »
There are a lot of tools in the pro version to create custom tails (split tails or noses), create recessed foot wells, etc. The college I teach at has a board cutting CNC setup. They have the pro version of Shape3D setup. I was recently working on an inflatable board design in Shape3D free version, but didn't have the tail tool. I worked with the CNC operator at the college to create the right tail. He used the tail tool and it looked perfect. The next step was top export it to a .IGES file so we could send it to a manufacturer for pricing. Shape3D pro version exports .IGS files, but...... it doesn't recognize some of the custom tools such as the tail tool. It looks like a broken tail in the IGS file. So we had to fix it in Solidworks and re-export a complete .IGES file from solid works.

Here's the result https://tandemboogie.com/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:09:19 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 02:54:13 PM »
This is an attractive shape BTW. See attached rough copy with simplified lines. I think you can finish it from here quickly.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal