Author Topic: Gybe help  (Read 1997 times)

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Gybe help
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
On about session 17, having windsurfer and kitesurfed for years, although no foiling.

I can ride very comfortably both directions in wind from 6, 4.5, 3.5 weather no problem, but last 4/5 sessions I’ve been trying to gybe. I get half 2/3 rds round and end up with a roll issue either to windward or leeward. I’ve had a few impacts with my foil as a result including a face impact on the wingtip that I thought broke my jaw, but luckily just a badly bruised face for a week. As a result my confidence is knocked. Any tips to help me turn a full 180?
Mike

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Gybe help
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »
You have to get comfortable controlling the foil straight up, riding vertical, no support from the wind. That IS the single hardest thing to do on a foil when learning.

You can take baby steps first. Learn to ride farther downwind (downwind angles). Keep working on going farther off the wind. This puts you closer each time to that “no wind” to learn against, just you, and the foil, trying to control it, no help. As you get totally comfortable foiling with nothing to lean against, straight up foiling, you will feel a lot more comfortable with each phase of the jibe. So in control, you’ll just cruise right through it and not need any from the wing surfer.

Also, don’t try to jibe 180 degrees. Jibe 145 degrees. Much easier. Do 180 when better.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
Thanks Dwight, that’s helpful. That bit with no wing to balance against is the bit, as that’s when I feel I’m balancing on a tightrope. Ok will try, on Friday, think I’ve got 3.5 weather👍Mike

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »
I suck at jibing, my windsurf-trained brain insists that I switch feet. but I'm getting better at going straight downwind and a little better at switching feet while flying. Putting those bits together should get me there. I can't believe it's taken this long, if I could force myself to go heel and toe vs, switching I'd get there quickly. But I'm getting close. I did a bunch of tacks recently that were successful because I did them as soon as I got out on the water and I did them one after the other. I haven't done a successful one since then, but I know what I did. We'll all get there. It just might take more time than we'd like.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 08:08:48 PM »
You guys are convincing me to just shuttle cars and only blow downwind. This turning around thing seems to be the challenge.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 08:27:13 PM »
Turning around is easy, doing it without touching down is the trick. If I was happy with a non-foiling jibe then I got there a long time ago, if I'm not doing everything I can to stay up on the foil I can mow the lawn all day and not get wet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 03:07:25 AM »
I suck at jibing, my windsurf-trained brain insists that I switch feet. but I'm getting better at going straight downwind and a little better at switching feet while flying. Putting those bits together should get me there. I can't believe it's taken this long, if I could force myself to go heel and toe vs, switching I'd get there quickly. But I'm getting close. I did a bunch of tacks recently that were successful because I did them as soon as I got out on the water and I did them one after the other. I haven't done a successful one since then, but I know what I did. We'll all get there. It just might take more time than we'd like.

Tell me about it! Sure I've said before that I'm feel exactly the same as you about switching feet and gybing. Yes, I've been frustrated at how long it's taking me to get the gybe I wanted (fully powered going in, hard carve, max speed on exit) but step by step I'm getting there. Along the way has been a complete education - there are many ways to 'straight' gybe, and those are useful to know when different circumstances appear so not wasted effort.
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 03:14:30 AM »
Hi Mike,

It sounds like you are doing great and going for it.  Right on! 

2/3 of the way through a 180 puts you right at where riding toeside goes bad when you are learning it.  I am assuming here that riding toeside is a new skill for you on the foil.  Jibing to toeside is really two skills.  Jibing on the foil and riding toeside on the foil.  As a windsurfer jibing on the foil will be more familiar to you.  Toeside on the foil is more unusual.  When you are falling on the foil at that 2/3 point it is because you have your body and air wing committed to the inside of the turn but the board and foil is not committed and falls to the outside.  Hello foil!  The best way to correct that is to give yourself a moment when you are just past downwind where you catch the wing.  When you get the wing in your hands give it a little pump or two.  That is a pretty comfortable position as you aren't twisted up yet and you are pretty well squared up downwind.  Those pumps will bring you higher up on the foil and give you all kinds of time.  From there you can slowly lead by pressuring your back toes.  That will allow the board and foil to ease into the turn before your body and wing gets ahead of it.  This is going to be a loooong jibe.  That is fine.  Once you get the feeling for it you can smooth it out and tighten it up.

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:22:57 AM »
Admin,

Great info, thank you that helps along with Dwight’s tips.

Friday is my next session so will try it all.

On another note you were interested in my Ensis V2 wings. I used my new 4.5 V2 yesterday. I had been on my old Naish 4.6 S25 the previous session and felt a big difference. The 4.5 V2 is super stiff and powerful and feels better without the windows of my 6.0m V1, very direct compared to the Naish, literally 2 pumps and I’m up, also luffs and depowers really well. Very pleased, hopefully I will be on my Orange V2 3.5m Friday, try one if you can, I’d be amazed if you don’t like them.👍mike

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal