Author Topic: F-one Swing Boom ideas anyone?  (Read 8006 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: F-one Swing Boom ideas anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 09:54:46 AM »
At the risk of making a fool of myself again.
 There is a sail batten for roller furling headsails called C-battens. They are carbon and roll up. They are quite wide and thin. If these were inserted in the strut they would add a lot of rigidity. As mentioned the pressure would help to hold them in place. I am sure you could then figure out a way to attatch handles to them.
 They could also be used on the leading edge to have a smaller and stiffer leading edge. You might even be able to have 2 small lines running from the middle of the leading edge to each tip of the wing that would work like a leech line.
 Or if you found the batten in the leading edge pulled the leech tight have the opposite a line from the central strut to the tip to pull in and release leech tension.
 Again I have never winged so please feel free to tell me I'm crazy.
 I have emailed a few companies with this idea and none think it's a good idea. They dont say why though.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:36 AM »
Let's start with the last line--they don't think it's a good idea because they are not currently doing that. I recently watched a video with Sandy Munro, who is probably the most knowledgeable guy around on automobile manufacturing methods, talking about Tesla's new Gigapress and how it's revolutionizing vehicle manufacturing--nearly the entire rear structure of the Model Y is being made as a single molded piece, reducing the part count from hundreds of bits that need to be assembled, to one part. He's offered his analysis of the value of the technique to all his usual automotive clients worldwide. No takers. It's not what they're doing, so they don't want to know.

I assume you're talking about C-Tech flexfurl battens, which are really cool. I stole their design (poorly) for my first handle-stiffening attempt. I made carbon battens that slipped inside nylon tubular webbing. The plan was to conform to the inside of the existing handles. I made the battens too thick for that to work well. Handles made out of real flexfurl would probably be awesome, but might cost more than the wing. The stuff ain't cheap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 10:33:42 AM »
Not cheap no. What part of foiling is! Just have a high end product.
 Years ago I contacted companies to put them in the sides of inflatable SUPs. Again no takers. Red Paddle has a patent for battens in the sides of inflatable SUPs and no one would risk it.
 Work with them and patent a product for all inflatable sports. Didn't have the time or money. Leading edges of kites,wings etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »
I am pretty sure the giga press idea comes from F1.
 Getting off subject but I met a guy last year from the Mecedes team. He said making the whole underside of the car in one go was a big leap. And the fact it constantly hits the ground at 200 Kph (that's kilometres per hour for Americans) and dosnt fall apart is impressive.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
The beginnings of madness or a workable idea?  I'm not entirely sure at this point.  The wet out carbon cloth (2 layers 3K twill) is wrapped in an envelope of Saran wrap.  There is Saran Wrap over the boom and handles.  Yeah, I know! This ain't for the faint of heart.  Duct tape used to tension the whole mess as well as protect the boom from epoxy leakage.  Some of this carbon will eventually be cut away as I get an idea of just how much strength is required.  I will then make two rigid carbon pedestals that the boom will strap to.  The handles will be pulled to one side and the other and tied down so they are not in the way.  The boom will be an adjustable paddle shaft and I will have the blade in a small backpack when I am doing long downwinders far from shore.  I can already feel the adrenaline pumping wondering if I missed something and some resin is now attaching itself to my wing.  I'm guessing some of you mainlanders will probably hear my screaming and swearing if things go bad. 

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 02:21:26 PM »
another pic

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
1 more

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:52 PM »
Man, I don’t know what you do for a living but why it is not “make water sports stuff” I do not know.

You win the “go for it” prize. I still want one of your foil wings.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
That kind of crazy shit is how I fucked up my 5'4" Sky Board. Looks good though. You can't expect much stiffness from two layers of carbon though, it will be pretty floppy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 04:18:15 AM »
All is good, the piece came off perfectly with no epoxy on strut.  Phew!    It is as stiff as I expected, and desired, since its true support comes from the inflated strut itself once it is strapped in 3 places to the strut.  I will be adding carbon tow bands for support where the pedestals which hold the paddle are placed.  Other areas where less strength is needed will be cut away.  The handles bend off to the side quite nicely and will be tied down to carbon fiber plate.  This should lock the structure down to the strut and will get the handles out of my way.  So far the build weighs next to nothing and I hope to keep it that way.  I will then complete this project and resort to exactly what PonoBill did with his quick and easy boom mod.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:27:22 AM by SUPeter »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
Good Job Peter hope it works better with all that extra work on the handle mod!but with that said don’t think we should be having to modify our 1k 6m swings why not get it right in the first place! Realize it’s there V1 and many or majority of riders really like em but there is definitely a few of us that are having issues with the handles and location,once F1 sorts this out and hope they do on V2 it will set the bar,we shall see.
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 01:16:16 PM »
I agree Paddlur!  I wish I didn't need to do this and I probably do not need to.  If it weren't for my wanting a paddle with me when far from shore, I wouldn't go through the trouble.  I also think a boom is easier in transitions than handles.  I swear, if I dont get this done soon, I will lose all motivation and just go back to working on my ultra high aspect wingfoiling foil.  This is what happens when wingfoiling has become the only pastime that matters and there is no wind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 03:56:34 PM »
This is what happens when wingfoiling has become the only pastime that matters and there is no wind.

I understand that completely. I had carpal tunnel surgery two years ago, got bored and bought a 1978 GMC motorhome and started an incredibly stupid and time-consuming project. Things go to shit when you can't play.

DownSouth

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »
It seems easier to cut out the strut and attache a bar to the wing. I did some conversions in December. In my opinion, it improved the wing in total  I think I did 12 conversions.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2020, 07:55:04 AM »
It seems easier to cut out the strut and attache a bar to the wing. I did some conversions in December. In my opinion, it improved the wing in total  I think I did 12 conversions.

Wow nice job. I’ll bet that makes the butt cheeks tighten for the boom haters.  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal