Author Topic: I put a handle o my Unit today  (Read 1864 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I put a handle o my Unit today
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:30:39 PM »
My first day on my 6M Unit today.  While the wind has been strong and gusty during this last week,  I've been fashioning a boom, a la Pono Bill velcro style.  It was an old SUP paddle that I cut so there was still a hand's grip length beyond the handles where they attach.  The boom felt secure and tight for my first run on it but I hadn't figured out the best position for my hands yet so I came in and took it off.  Then went out with the handles only and that was better for my first day. 

Figured out where I needed my hands to be and after a few dropped wing tips that I managed to pull out without falling, I pumped the handles and up I went.  Wind was extremely light.  No whitecaps.  Only one other guy was on foil and he was real good.  He did every trick in the book.  I went straight and fell on my jibe attempts, which I have no idea how to begin them with handles.  But other than that,  I dug the handles.  They were extremely comfy and spongy/springy and really aided with the pump up.  Super fun getting up in light breeze.  The boom will get another try soon.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I put a handle o my Unit today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 11:33:20 PM »
I cemented padding on the ends of the boom so I didn't damage board or me.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 12:05:35 AM »
Why not just buy an Echo??

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
It's good to try stuff, HM..  ' rather than just take what's handed to you.  The only problem - it can often interrupt the prime objective of advancing your skill level enough to be able to objectively judge your idea.   (..from one with a history)

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
Why not just buy an Echo??
Because this wing is much more stable that the Echo.  It floats right where you leave it without any 'waffling.'  The center inflated strut is a great design for the wing shape.  And like I wrote, the handles aren't bad and are especially good for pumping up.   They're just 'foreign' to me at this point. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
It's good to try stuff, HM..  ' rather than just take what's handed to you.  The only problem - it can often interrupt the prime objective of advancing your skill level enough to be able to objectively judge your idea.   (..from one with a history)

Jim
That's why I took it off and went back to the handles, although handles are foreign to me at this point.  I really like the wing.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
I just got my 6m Unit Headmount, thank you for the feedback.  I bought this wing mostly for travel and look forward to using it later in the late Fall.  Glad you like the handles, they feel great to me.   I have been riding the original Duotone as well as the F-One for the last 6 months, and was a little more comfortable with the boom due to years of windsurfing.  Still, I really like the simplicity and weight of the F-One .I bought the Unit because I wanted a simple lightweight wing with windows....I am sure I will enjoy it.

Keep us posted as your progress with the Unit with or without the makeshift boom!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 09:27:43 PM »
A great day today with perfect 6M conditions.  I had the most jibe attempts ever but still failed to complete one.  One was sooo close but I over sheeted and stuck the tip in.  These light wind conditions correlate with a NE wind direction (040 or so) which also bring in man-o-war, called blue bottles (a type of jelly fish) in some areas.  At any rate they pack a heavy sting.  I saw a bunch but managed to weave between them and even my time in the water didn't end up in pain.  My pal saw a small shark. 

We were out in the ocean today at Kanaha Park as today is barge day and I certainly never want to be that guy who falls in the harbor near a barge and shuts the area down for all.  If you come to Maui and want to wing the harbor, please pay attention to any movement along the pier where the tugs and barges unload.  They don't take long to get in or out, so just wait.  Those tug guys like a clear deck to operate in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal