Author Topic: I got GONG'd  (Read 4741 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
I got GONG'd
« on: August 13, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
I had an interest...  I think Patrice makes some great stuff.  I'd have that little, foil tugboat inflato - ' just because I think he did such a good job.  I did find something ..it was only ~U$140. Then the other gong rang out like they hit it with a steel mallet - when shipping became U$267. 

Not much in the last few years, but I have shipped pretty much everywhere 'cept to Antarctica. My last was a carton to OZ of about 11lbs (5kg) in July was just under U$100.   I cannot imagine what I wanted to order (an inflato surfboard) would have been more than that in weight or cube.

I can understand the 'no dealers' business model - you are stuck with factors or horrible receivables, aged inventory, and the need to become generic like many 'big names'.  But I do not see the logic of not setting up 'export' transport from the point of production - particularly if done in Asia.  He has a great business, puts a ton more effort in his product than many but this is a large weak spot in the opinion of this consumer. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I got GONG'd
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
You are 100% right. They have to sort out shipping/logistics.

But, I will say, I'll betting French companies have restrictions that we can't fully understand in the USA. If not, they are making a bad choice as a company (I say this as a business owner who does international business as well.) If so, they probably need to tell us, lol. It's hurting their rep.

I'm wondering if Le Poste is not an option, but a requirement for some reason. Where's Colas when you need him? I love their stuff but I just bought a used Swing wing for more money because I couldn't deal with a 2 month lead time. I'd like to add more foil parts but just can't bear the hassle. This should not be an issue in 2020. Correction, it's not an issue in 2020.

Great company, flawed logistics. Takoon seems to have sorted this somehow, but may not be funded enough to get enough container loads to sell. (speculating but their lead times are getting longer by the week.)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 06:27:13 PM »
There are all kinds of sophisticated fulfillment companies that could fix that easily. Anyone shipping straight from China gets to take advantage of a long-term contract for shipping via postal service to the USA. I've been surprised that didn't go away.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »

So true.

It looks like Switchkites  do a good job taking advantage of the Hong Kong shipping for there New Zealand company. Takoon used Chornopost from France,  which worked out good and a reasonable cost compared to what Gong was quoting. I did see where they looking to hire people for this area of their business so maybe some change will come.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 05:24:56 AM »
Fish'm... You brought up SWITCH. I did not want to poke Patrice in the eye with that one.  'Three days to the (rural) east coast of the USA - Free shipping'.  Probably like many small business people I have ordered from China. I find them friendly and efficient and economical.  China Post must provide a subsidy - it's a helluva lot cheaper coming than going.

Jim

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
Fish'm... You brought up SWITCH. I did not want to poke Patrice in the eye with that one.  'Three days to the (rural) east coast of the USA - Free shipping'.  Probably like many small business people I have ordered from China. I find them friendly and efficient and economical.  China Post must provide a subsidy - it's a helluva lot cheaper coming than going.

Jim
Wow 3 days is incredible.
 I've read and heard from a few sources that the US actually subsidizes a lot of Hong Kong to US shipping cost.
Which make zero sense to me, and I would have thought Trump would be all over that if he could so i'm not sure how that works. It's a big part of the reason that even US vendors have trouble competing with China.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:53:04 AM »
Perhaps the juice ain't worth the squeeze to Gong... shock of all shocks... the U.S. market isn't a priority. Maybe he is wise enough to see that bigger is not always better. Could be Patrice has found a perfect- an enviable work life balance with his current slice of the market. Has the time to tinker/design/play in the water and make a good living... a good life.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
Perhaps the juice ain't worth the squeeze to Gong... shock of all shocks... the U.S. market isn't a priority. Maybe he is wise enough to see that bigger is not always better. Could be Patrice has found a perfect- an enviable work life balance with his current slice of the market. Has the time to tinker/design/play in the water and make a good living... a good life.
I get that 100%. There are so many ways to expand my business, yet I like the throttle right where it is. I do have to turn down a ton of work, but that's part of managing my happiness. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
That's is certainly a possibility, AW, ' fer sure.  If you look at 'availability', it appears that his pre-orders pretty much absorb the next production run on some items. 

Given some of the White House based mockery and 25% tariffs slapped on FR wine he's probably justified having a 'who needs you' attitude. Outsiders should know we do not all wear orange makeup.

Jim

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 12:20:02 PM »
Adding this:

I recently sold a used wing, and a harness.  Both relatively light weight and smallish box, one expensive one cheap.  Shipping quote from CA to East coast with all 3 big carriers was $50.  I don't remember ever seeing shipping in the continental US be that much, seems shipping cost is out of whack right now.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
Ya, Clay... it's nuts.  My poor wife had a friend that 'really likes her UPS driver' so she goes to Staples and gets suckered into a menu of options that play on the fear of the infrequent shipper.  ("Marjie..it was a pillow!?")

Even generally, you're right.  I have rolls of fabric on eBay and—damn if most of the interest is from CA or WA!  6x6x60" is obscene.  The only half-bargains are fixed-rate boxes for the USPS.  Stomp the c'hit out of it ...' cram it in a large FR carton. 'If it fits (it's gonna!) it ships.' It's the only workaround in shipping I know of.

Jim

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
I get that 100%. There are so many ways to expand my business, yet I like the throttle right where it is. I do have to turn down a ton of work, but that's part of managing my happiness.

Good onya TD- there is a great return from simply knowing how and when to say no.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
Yep 100% can’t see any reason to go through the hassle these days with Gong shipping from a France to the U.S too many good options stateside to deal with that la poste crap or what ever it is then customs on our side,did it once never again for me but back then weren’t a lot of options here, yeah it ain’t perfect here nowadays either, but what is?certainly Gong has some great stuff Patrice is a innovator respect no doubt but until they figure a decent consistent way to ship to the states without all the headache that I and many others endured count me out,no thanks,however if they sorted it out in a non hassle no BS way to consistently get product here yeah I’d be definitely interested,guess I’m dreaming eh
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:45:00 PM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 10:39:55 PM »
FedEx and UPS have a nice little monopoly scam going on, and it's about to get a lot worse. In any other administration, the postmaster general would be on his way to the slammer. The nicest thing you can say about the guy is that he's a thieving, lying, sleaze-bag motherfucker. And that's before he does his level best to steal the next election. With the US pulling out of the UPU any international rates will be self-governed. In other words, we're going to get even more hosed.

If you really want to get screwed, ship something to Hawaii, where the Jones act makes shipping three times more expensive. The Jones Act requires that any supplies shipped between two U.S. ports has to be on a U.S.-built ship owned by an American company and staffed by U.S. residents. We're from the government, and we're here to help you.

Bend over.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »
FedEx and UPS have a nice little monopoly scam going on, and it's about to get a lot worse. In any other administration, the postmaster general would be on his way to the slammer. The nicest thing you can say about the guy is that he's a thieving, lying, sleaze-bag motherfucker. And that's before he does his level best to steal the next election. With the US pulling out of the UPU any international rates will be self-governed. In other words, we're going to get even more hosed.

If you really want to get screwed, ship something to Hawaii, where the Jones act makes shipping three times more expensive. The Jones Act requires that any supplies shipped between two U.S. ports has to be on a U.S.-built ship owned by an American company and staffed by U.S. residents. We're from the government, and we're here to help you.

Bend over.
After reading this, I did a bit of Googling and came across this article, which claims that the US Postmaster General is colluding with Trump in order to interfere with the forthcoming election.

Is this a widely held belief in the US? Do you believe it to be true?

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/dejoy-usps-postmaster-general/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal