Author Topic: Heading to San O this weekend. Anything I should know?  (Read 3086 times)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Heading to San O this weekend. Anything I should know?
« on: August 12, 2020, 11:54:01 AM »
I haven't been there since right before they closed the beaches back in March/April.  Is it business as usual down there or is there something I need to know about parking, social distancing, etc?

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Heading to San O this weekend. Anything I should know?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 12:05:33 PM »
Get there early as it is more crowded so lot fills up sooner.  water is cooler than normal and wear a mask :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:42:25 PM »
Evan, good to hear from you man!

I need to take a damn day off and get to SanO and hang with the Slatch crew. Jealous!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »
weekdays...be in  line before 500AM...or youre probably not getting in anytime soon in the morning...line starts growing at 430am...the afternoon is doable because the dawn patrollers quit at noon...but thats weekdays...
still bring a bike just in case you may need to park at the upper lot and walk for...ev...errrrrr...

weekends...ive gotten there at 400am and the line was already snaking all over the place...pass...i think guys must camp overnight or something...sheesh

if youre not there super early check the sano surfline tollbooth cams  before you go ....you can watch the line as it moves ...sort of

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:52:39 PM »
Ok who wants to invest in an ebike rental van at San O with me?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:00:22 PM »
Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle...lots of rays, and a couple WHACKS! amongst friends already. :o :'(

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
weekends...ive gotten there at 400am and the line was already snaking all over the place...pass...i think guys must camp overnight or something...sheesh
Was talking with an old bud in the lineup today (midweek) knowing he doesn't have a bike, as was in the water with me about 1030, so asked him how long he waited in line. He said, "You mean what time did I get in line?" He was in line a 0330, and said that he was already down by the railroad tracks. Crazy... :o

Coconut wireless is buzzing that tmrw is the first day of school for the local districts even though they're online, supposedly going to be taking roll every hour, so kids have to be in front of their computer...and not in the sand the beach. Yay! But who knows what the continuing summer weekends will bring.

I need to take a damn day off and get to SanO and hang with the Slatch crew. Jealous!

Ok who wants to invest in an ebike rental van at San O with me?
Cookie, just take your time off in a couple months, and we won't be need the bikes...vans back on he beach.  ;D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 06:25:18 PM »
Love it man. I tell people from out of state who come here in June on vacation to come back for our secret summer, Aug-Oct. it’s the best.

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 08:48:40 PM »
What’s the deal with parking?  Have they decreased the amount of spaces available?  I’m used to dealing with the summer crowd, but 3am is crazy.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
No, jammed in as much as ever, and once you manage to get out of the two-hour queue at the top, don't expect to find a parking spot down near the Patch for another 20-30 minutes (if you're lucky), because that's where all of the "day trippers" set up their tents, EZ-UPs, tables, chairs, huge wheeled coolers, kids play pens, hammocks, and the stacks of brand new Wavestorms they just picked up a Costco the day before.

The reason it's more crowded than the usual summer madhouse, is because all of the movie theaters, amusement parks, malls, water parks, and every other usual summer fun themed places in the valleys are closed due of the 'Rona, and all that's left for them to get out of the heat...is to head to the beach. Where even sitting in your car for a couple hours in 80o coastal weather beats the hell out of the 100o plus weather they drove away from.

When you planning on coming down? The surf camp ends tmrw, as school is supposedly starting next week, so hopefully it'll be easing sooner than later. At least I'm hoping so anyway. 

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
That makes so much sense. Well I guess I’ll be getting up early this weekend. I’ll be there Sat,Sun,Mon. Trying out a new wing.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:21 PM »
Monday should be much lighter. The local kids are starting school online and they are required to show their face on camera in each period throughout the day for attendance. So moms or dads will probably be home as well. Awwwww....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 01:36:55 PM »
Can you bypass the line and the entrance booth if you're on a bike or walking?
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 08:22:56 AM »
Can you bypass the line and the entrance booth if you're on a bike or walking?
Yes...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal