Author Topic: Rules of the road with windsurfers  (Read 1115 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rules of the road with windsurfers
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:59:12 AM »
When I am winging across the river and I hear a windsurfer approaching me from behind (traveling faster and in a nonparallel direction), I hold my course and speed until they are past me.  Yesterday, two of them looked back with very unfriendly stares as they went by and I had one buzz me in an aggressive manner.  Anything to do differently or is this just part of sharing common space?

I am all for doing the right thing but am not going to be intimidated into changing my behavior if I am not doing anything wrong.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:01:42 AM by Phils »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Rules of the road with windsurfers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »
If they are not foiling windsurfers, then you can easily pinch them off course and make it really hard for them to pass you. They cannot match your upwind angle. Then you piss them off.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rules of the road with windsurfers
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 09:33:46 AM »
When the Gorge is crowded everyone gets a little grumpy. You don't need to do anything special when someone is overtaking. Just don't throw a sudden jibe at them. The one thing to remember is that people on a starboard tack (which in the Gorge with the typical west wind means they are coming from Washington towards Oregon) have the right of way, all other things being equal. Unfortunately, not a lot of people know the rules of the road.

And if a kiter is coming at you out of control with eyes like saucers, then don't bother yelling Starboard!

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal