Author Topic: Anything out there similar to the Hammer?  (Read 11063 times)

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anything out there similar to the Hammer?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »
Here's some video of my home beaches (2 1/2 hour drive!) on nice days without a lot of wind or chop.  Closes out quick most of the time, period is usually pretty short.  Bad days have short period (6s) plus a secondary swell and up to 2 ft. chop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpt99wOjes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWnnhJ9s6aY
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:03:10 PM by miker »

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »
I've had a tab open with the Destroyer on it for about a month now.  Shipping to Vancouver Island is likely a bit of an issue.

Miker I sent you PM
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:23 PM »
just read this whole thread and would steer you towards the l41 ST.  I have one and have rode the destroyer and the shroom.

The shroom is an 'only' mushy wave board in my opinion.   Its a somehwat worse version of L41's simmons design nad tough to ride in the pocket.  I loved it when i demoed it...but i like the l41 st more.

the destroyer and the ST are opposite ends of the wave catching specurum in my opinion.  The destroyer gets you in a little earlier with its length and volume up front(assuming popular dims on both) but its not nearly as fast on the wave.  I drop in very late on my st and like many have said on the zone....has an immediate gas pedal.

in the end....getting down the wave quick is the goal on a sup and IMO catching and riding waves you cant on a prone board.  the ST gets me down racy waves faster which means more options on a wave and potentially more fun on closeouts and mushburgers.,

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
just read this whole thread and would steer you towards the l41 ST.  I have one and have rode the destroyer and the shroom.

The shroom is an 'only' mushy wave board in my opinion.   Its a somehwat worse version of L41's simmons design nad tough to ride in the pocket.  I loved it when i demoed it...but i like the l41 st more.

the destroyer and the ST are opposite ends of the wave catching specurum in my opinion.  The destroyer gets you in a little earlier with its length and volume up front(assuming popular dims on both) but its not nearly as fast on the wave.  I drop in very late on my st and like many have said on the zone....has an immediate gas pedal.

in the end....getting down the wave quick is the goal on a sup and IMO catching and riding waves you cant on a prone board.  the ST gets me down racy waves faster which means more options on a wave and potentially more fun on closeouts and mushburgers.,

Thanks for taking the time and giving me your feedback.  More fun on closeouts is a big one for me since most Tofino beaches close out all at once and fairly early.  You are certainly not the first in this thread to make this suggestion and L41  ST and S5 are moving up my list.  How do you think it compares to something like the Sunova Flow (or now Flow/Casey) or the Genration Kanga?  Or alternately, any idea on how L41 manages shipping to Canada?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:46:28 AM by miker »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
I'd reach out directly to Kirk on the shipping. In a pre-covid 'open border' world i shipped a board to SurfAfrica who rides Tofino to a friend he had in Washington and he drove to to get it rather than trying to ship cross border (His idea to make it easier)

on the boards below. Ive ridden the Flow and the Flash. Havent ridden the Kanga but I own a Genration wedge (And have discussed the Genrations a ton with Supthecreek and their reps when i ordered) I'd def ask his feedback on all things Genration

I think the Flow is a dated design at this point.  its just a blown up surfboard, an all terrain tire- works in everything- excels in none.  I sold a 'flow' type shape to move the the L41 ST.

I think Genraton is onto something with their designs- in good waves my Wedge is unbeatable.  But its very tippy and fickle when not actually doing anything but ripping on a wave.

If I was to add another board to my two board quiver it would be a SP25.  It would fit between the 'good wave' ripper- the Wedge- and my Mushy and or choppy wave L41 ST.

If I only had to have one SUP, and I only supped (I prone surf about 50% of the time),  it probably would be something like the Kanga or SP 25 to work on the largest variety of  waves.

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 10:57:57 AM »
I'd reach out directly to Kirk on the shipping. In a pre-covid 'open border' world i shipped a board to SurfAfrica who rides Tofino to a friend he had in Washington and he drove to to get it rather than trying to ship cross border (His idea to make it easier)

on the boards below. Ive ridden the Flow and the Flash. Havent ridden the Kanga but I own a Genration wedge (And have discussed the Genrations a ton with Supthecreek and their reps when i ordered) I'd def ask his feedback on all things Genration

I think the Flow is a dated design at this point.  its just a blown up surfboard, an all terrain tire- works in everything- excels in none.  I sold a 'flow' type shape to move the the L41 ST.

I think Genraton is onto something with their designs- in good waves my Wedge is unbeatable.  But its very tippy and fickle when not actually doing anything but ripping on a wave.

If I was to add another board to my two board quiver it would be a SP25.  It would fit between the 'good wave' ripper- the Wedge- and my Mushy and or choppy wave L41 ST.

If I only had to have one SUP, and I only supped (I prone surf about 50% of the time),  it probably would be something like the Kanga or SP 25 to work on the largest variety of  waves.

I emailed Kirk and he said in the neighbourhood of $300 to ship.  Thanks for all of your feedback, it really helps me understand what I'm doing here.  Kirk also suggested an ST from his line up and is familiar with Tofino surfing.  He recommended an 8'8" x 32 @ 155L size, which is in the zone I think I should be going to.  Fortunately, I'm not in a great rush and can take time to make up my mind on this.  Time also means maybe the border will open, in which case, I could take a road trip down to Santa Cruz to pick up a board - and enjoy a lot of surf breaks along the way.  Maybe even head down to Ensenada/San Quintin area or as far as San Juanico if it's pumping at all (went there in early March, but only knee high at best then).

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2021, 10:43:12 AM »

It's been a while since I posted on the topic, but I'm really getting close to pulling the trigger on a Kanga.  This paragraph was pretty instrumental and I've been talking to supthecreek about it.  His review on youtube is very good.  Of course, his 'old guy' skills make any board look good.  I'm very jealous of his local point break.

bigmak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »

It's been a while since I posted on the topic, but I'm really getting close to pulling the trigger on a Kanga.  This paragraph was pretty instrumental and I've been talking to supthecreek about it.  His review on youtube is very good.  Of course, his 'old guy' skills make any board look good.  I'm very jealous of his local point break.

Get it.  It's a great board.  I bought three of the Genration boards and the Kanga is the one I would buy again. 
Custom Kronos 10'x33
Custom Foote 10'4 x 34
Fanatic Allwave 9'10 x 33
Starboard Avanti 11'2 x 36
Joe Blair 11'3 x 38
Naish Glide GTW 14'x30

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 10:26:31 PM »

Get it.  It's a great board.  I bought three of the Genration boards and the Kanga is the one I would buy again.

Yeah, think I'll put the order in tomorrow night.  Birthday present for myself.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
As an owner of 3 hammers (one is now up near you in Bellingham, WA with a niece), and a someone with significant dimensions  :), Get the Kanga!  It looks awesome in the video Creek reviewed it.  It's the closest thing to my Stoke x-wide, and I'd probably get one if I was in the market.  Best of luck with it.

miker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2021, 07:43:52 AM »
As an owner of 3 hammers (one is now up near you in Bellingham, WA with a niece), and a someone with significant dimensions  :), Get the Kanga!  It looks awesome in the video Creek reviewed it.  It's the closest thing to my Stoke x-wide, and I'd probably get one if I was in the market.  Best of luck with it.

Thanks for the feedback.  I put the order in and I guess they'll start building it. I understand it's going to be a bit before it arrives, but I've been looking for a new board off and on for a couple of years so a little longer won't hurt.  I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces when it gets here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal