Author Topic: Board Bags ??  (Read 2264 times)

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
Board Bags ??
« on: August 07, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
Shinny side up  or shinny side down ?

I have an older board, and a board bag.. board has been out of the bag for a few years in the garage, recently had to move the board outside for a little while, so I put it in the bag out back on my racks where I keep a canoe and a kayak covered wit your typical gray canvas covers.

Decided to set it shinny, gray reflective (bottom), side up facing the sun and the sun seems to really be taking its toll on the shinny reflective gray stuff, which has the consistency of a blue hurricane tarp, and is becomming weathered quickly.

I also find the bag is not water-proof and fills with water in a hard rain.

Whats your opinions.facts.. comments about the right way ?
Old fugger who just likes to fish

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board Bags ??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:54:56 PM »
Man, they are made for transport, not really outdoor storage. I’d put some shade cloth or a cheap tarp over it.

I keep my boards outside on a rack that’s covered with black shade cloth in an area that only gets sun part of the day. Not perfect but keeps them in pretty good shape. I’ll bet that would help you.

The other side (Cordura nylon I’ll bet) will degrade in the sun fast too.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
Someone on Sway's did a test of board bag materials and white cloth/paint was better at reflecting than silver cloth, which acted more like a medium grey instead of a mirror or space blanket.

Probably best to keep all first order magnitude sun, rain, wind, snow off of the bag and the board inside.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »
Don't store a board in a bag outside. When it gets wet inside it can play havoc with the paintwork and finish. Store the board out of the bag under a waterproof tarp, and the bag somewhere out of the sun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal