Author Topic: New Blackfish dugout  (Read 8555 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: New Blackfish dugout
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »
As far as the Blackfish feeling more stable is because it has more rocker than the SIC. Rocker adds stability, but slows the board down. 

Interesting ... I get the part about more rocker being slower, but it's not intuitive to me that more rocker would also be a contributor to side-side stability.

Rocker helps with secondary stability. If the board isn't so corky that the nose and tail are out of the water the rocker acts just like a hammock--the board has to lift your weight somewhat to rock side to side. I think most paddlers know a little rocker adds stability but don't think about it too much. My ancient starboard 12'2" has almost no rocker and it's like standing on a floating log. It's perfectly happy to turn upside down.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:07:41 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
If the nose and tail are essentially 'out of the water' with a rocker'd board. Now imagine the stability you feel as you paddle the board flat and in an upright neutral stance. When the board rolls, the nose and tail come into contact with the water. That increases the amount of buoyancy or buoyant force. This is generally referred to as Secondary Stability. So with a rocker'd board you feel the increased buoyant force which allows you to regain your balance. With a flat (non-rocker'd) board, the nose and tail are already 'in the water'. So when the board rolls the buoyant force doesn't increase as much, and you won't feel the Secondary Stability. The more volume that gets submerged the more the buoyant force increases. Boxy tall rails add to the the buoyant force as well. Digging out the standing area puts the Center of Gravity closer to or below the Center of Buoyancy which again adds to stability.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 01:51:24 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

scrooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »
All of this helps explain why my Lahui Kai Manta has a crazy amount of secondary stability.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:17 PM »
Torn intercostal muscle. It's one of the most common SUP injuries. Recessed foot wells (dug out race boards) are the worst for this type of injury. It's happen to me a number of times. It will heal, but you got to give it two or three weeks. Hurts like hell to paddle. As far as the Blackfish feeling more stable is because it has more rocker than the SIC. Rocker adds stability, but slows the board down. The Whiplash is would be closer to the SIC RS rocker wise than the Blackfish.

Yup hurts like HELL.......bummed I'm missing paddling class for at least a weak!
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

whitecap

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 08:57:41 AM »
"What is the point of the Infinity brushed carbon look? It still doesn't keep the board cool enough to do away with worrying about the sun, and it looks absolutely awful. I'd rather have a proper paint job and accept a little weight gain. Or even better, a resin tint."

well, it's different and I didn't care for it at first, but even after babying my SIC I have still managed to ding the gelcoat/paint. My experience with all my sailboards, is/was you will never match that. Now if you should ding that Infinity, who's even gonna spot it? ;)

"Torn intercostal muscle. It's one of the most common SUP injuries."

Did that on my 2nd SUP ride, on the rail. Briefly considered going to inflatables even. Thought I'd cracked a rib, and the 2 to 3 week recovery time is spot on. DO NOT sneeze! IF you have to grab your rib cage like a straight jacket ASAP.
2018 INFINITY Blackfish 14x28
SIC SCC V2 Bullet 2015+/-
Naish Glide 14 V2 2014+/-
Black Project Maliko [& a host of other fins]
Black Project Lava adj. & Quickblade Trifecta

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal