Author Topic: New Blackfish dugout  (Read 8557 times)

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Blackfish dugout
« on: August 06, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
Get to demo this on sunday, 14x24.5 blackfish dugout, should be interesting since I've only been paddling about a year and im on a 14x27 blackfish now. I feel my balance and skill has improved enough to go narrower, but still gonna keep my 27 inch for open ocean......We shalll see!
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

scrooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Blackfish dugout
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 01:37:45 PM »
That looks so rad.  What did you think of it?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »
Get to demo this on sunday, 14x24.5 blackfish dugout, should be interesting since I've only been paddling about a year and im on a 14x27 blackfish now. I feel my balance and skill has improved enough to go narrower, but still gonna keep my 27 inch for open ocean......We shalll see!
And that is the Catch 22. If you want a narrower / faster board, you should look at the Whiplash. My open ocean boards are a little wider. A board that is narrower than you are comfortable with in the open ocean, will just slow you down. You'll be constantly bracing and feathering your paddle all the time. Plus you're cadence is gone. Use your slightly wider Blackfish for open ocean, and a narrower Whiplash for harbor and lake paddling.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 05:07:17 AM »
So, how did it go on the 24.5?????????
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

scrooner

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »
How not to do a review.    :P

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 02:46:06 AM »
What is the point of the Infinity brushed carbon look? It still doesn't keep the board cool enough to do away with worrying about the sun, and it looks absolutely awful. I'd rather have a proper paint job and accept a little weight gain. Or even better, a resin tint.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 05:34:08 AM »
What is the point of the Infinity brushed carbon look? It still doesn't keep the board cool enough to do away with worrying about the sun, and it looks absolutely awful. I'd rather have a proper paint job and accept a little weight gain. Or even better, a resin tint.
To each his own. I love that look.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 06:36:23 AM »
Some of the advantages of a brushed carbon finish that I have observed are, the board remains cooler.  Also, the process leaves a minimum amount of paint, so it's marginally lighter and the thin coat does not easily chip.   But, my favorite is that it's super easy to match a repair.

Having said that, I've had my current Blackfish and New Deal for over two years now without any repairs.  My work has been mostly on a couple of early SB AllStars (that were in abusive relationships).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 07:48:36 AM »
The brushed look is to show what you paid for. Otherwise manufacturers can add one carbon patch and call it carbon construction.

But then that idea went to crap when the Cobra factory put black pigment in their epoxy to make a fake carbon look.   >:(

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 07:31:02 AM »

Yes exactly what I am thinking about TallDude the only problem is the BF is such a good all around board to where the Whip is only geared to flat, going to demo a whip as well.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 07:51:41 AM »
So I finally got to demo the 14x24.5 blackfish, not the dug out but a flat deck. I was able to demo a 14x24 SIC RS, a 14x24.5 SIC RS and the BF. Both of the SIC felt very tippy side to side, I am sure there is a learning curve when going from a 27 to a narrower board but when I jumped on the Black Fish it felt pretty darn stable from the get go. I really like the traction pad Infinity uses compared to the FCS one the SIC. I paddle in the harbor under slightly windy conditions with boat traffic and many other paddlers and I felt very comfortable on the BF. I did like the how the flat deck on the SIC is a little more deeper. Both boards seem to paddle almost the same as far as glide, but all in all I personally liked the Infinity BF better. When I was on the 24 SIC not sure what happened but I fell and hit my ribs really hard, now it hurts like hell when I paddle, I was just standing there and BAM!! Maybe it was a momentum thing or maybe it was the girl in the thong paddling by me ;) The best thing is that Infinity has all the boards to demo and they don't charge me because Im part of a paddling group that is at our local beach. Would like to try the whiplash and the bf dugout soon.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:23 AM »
How not to do a review.    :P

lol just posted ;)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Torn intercostal muscle. It's one of the most common SUP injuries. Recessed foot wells (dug out race boards) are the worst for this type of injury. It's happen to me a number of times. It will heal, but you got to give it two or three weeks. Hurts like hell to paddle. As far as the Blackfish feeling more stable is because it has more rocker than the SIC. Rocker adds stability, but slows the board down. The Whiplash is would be closer to the SIC RS rocker wise than the Blackfish. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
As far as the Blackfish feeling more stable is because it has more rocker than the SIC. Rocker adds stability, but slows the board down. 

Interesting ... I get the part about more rocker being slower, but it's not intuitive to me that more rocker would also be a contributor to side-side stability.
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
From all the experience I have rocker is not a huge contributor to stability. Generally it is a tall strait up and down rails that keep resist rolling, parallel rails to keep the board as wide as possible for as long as possible,  hard rail edges, not tucked in, to keep the bottom as wide as possible and resist rolling,  as flat a bottom as possible and a nice nice channel/ concave down the middle for as much of the board as possible. If you add the dug put to this is also reduces rolling as your center of gravity and rolling center is lower. Also a nice wide and flat tail helps as well.

The blackfish Dugout has all of these and that SIC only a few.

Some of the most stable boards I have been on so far are the 2020 Starboard Sprint And the Infinity Blackfish dugout and infinity Whiplash
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal