Author Topic: Looking for advice for next board to progress my SUP Surfing skills  (Read 4013 times)

Seaview

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi! I started paddleboarding several years ago in South Jersey (Wildwood Crest) when we bought a beach house.  I love being out on the ocean on my board whether I'm trying to surf or just paddling around with the dolphins.  I'm 6'0", 175 pounds, 54 years old.  Previous to paddleboarding, I didn't have any surfing background.  My balance is good from spending a lot of time in the ocean and I can turn and catch waves.  But I'm just riding them in and not really going down the line or doing much turning after I catch the wave.  (I hope this description of my skills helps.  I'm not a beginner, but to say I'm intermediate would be an overstatement.)  The board I use for surfing is an Adventure Paddleboarding Sixty Forty 9'4" x 31.5", 163 liters. 

https://www.surfindustries.com/stand-up-paddle/adventure-paddleboarding-sixty-forty-mx.php

So, I'm looking for my next board to progress my surfing skills.  I don't really know what to look for.  I know it would have less volume, probably shorter, maybe narrower.  I'm not sure what the usual progression would be.  A 10% drop in volume would 147 liters and a 20% drop would be 130 liters.  As you can see, its just guesswork for me at this point.  There are a lot of surfers at my beach, but I only know a couple of paddleboarders.

Up until now I have mostly been down at the beach house on summer weekends only, so I have to take whatever the conditions are.  That means a lot of days I am just paddling and not surfing.  My youngest daughter is off to college this fall (pandemic permitting, but that's another story).  So my wife and I can spend more time at the beach house and I can hopefully find good conditions more consistently. 

I'm looking for any suggestions for a next board.  Ideally, I would be able to also enjoy cruising around on the board in addition to surfing.  I've done some 6 mile races in the bay in Atlantic City on my 14' board (even this year) and I would like to be able to continue training on the new board before or after a surf session.

I hope this all makes sense.  Thanks in advance.
Quatro Glide 8'8" x33" 145lt
Starboard All Star 14'0" x 28" inflatable

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for advice for next board to progress my SUP Surfing skills
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
Here is a wave sequence of me on my old 10' Coreban Icon. Read the photo descriptions.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 11:10:37 PM »
As far as the board goes, something a little shorter with a more pulled in tail is probably the direction you want to go. Don't go too narrow or too low of volume. Stay around 31 inches wide, and around 120 to 130 liters range.

https://sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/sup-surfing/placid

https://jimmylewis.com/shop/super-frank/

https://sup.star-board.com/products/wide-point/

http://www.l41surfcraft.com/models-sup  - Popdart

https://www.naishsurfing.com/product/hokua-gtw/

https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/88-x-31-all-good-2019.html
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 04:20:08 AM »
If you aren't surfing down the line, you are still very much a beginner.

As TallDude said, your volume should be between 120 and 130 liters. Too much or too little volume can negatively affect stability. You present board has way too much volume.

Stability is mostly defined by width. Go with the narrowest board that you feel comfortable on, but don't get too comfortable or you will lose performance. Around 31" should be perfect.

Length also affects stability. Shorter boards are more maneuverable, but longer boards are more stable and have more glide. Between 8'5 and 9'5 is a good range to shoot for.

Decide whether you prefer the longboard or shortboard style of riding. This has nothing to do with the length of the board. It's all about the outline shape. Shortboard shapes have curved rails that make the board turn easily. Longboard shapes have somewhat parralel rails but are a little more difficult to learn.

If you like shortboard shapes, the Sunova Placid 8'7 is a beginner-friendly board that you could easily grow into.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:39:28 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 06:14:51 AM »
Ideally, I would be able to also enjoy cruising around on the board in addition to surfing.  I've done some 6 mile races in the bay in Atlantic City on my 14' board (even this year) and I would like to be able to continue training on the new board before or after a surf session.

I hope this all makes sense.  Thanks in advance.

I just noticed this part.

I guess it depends on what you mean by training. I have no problem paddling my 8'10 and even my 7'6 the mile-long length of my beach and back when looking for waves. If all you want to do is get some paddle time in, you can easily do that on a performance surf SUP. This kind of training can be really good for your surfing skills. It helps fine tune your balance, paddle technique and stance. It also increases endurance.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 06:34:22 AM »
I was in a similar situation as you at the beginning of last year. I wanted a board to progress on but didn’t know how much volume to go with or what length would be best. I also wanted a board I could use in mostly any condition and was easy to paddle. I ended up getting a 9’6 Sunova Steeze @145L and this board really helped my surfing especially going down the line. You can ride it as a single fin and practice your longboard style (stalling, trimming, walking the board) or when it gets bigger run it as a 2+1 and practice your bottom and top turns. It’s a really fun, versatile shape that goes well in a lot of conditions. You could also probably go down to the 8’10 Steeze and have no problems with stability. I think it would meet your flat water paddle needs also.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 07:27:16 AM »
Hi,
I like to focus on guild factor.  I've heard that it is useful to factor height, and to add a kg to your weight for every inch that you are over 5'9".
You are 80 kg, with a height adjustment that is 83 kg.
Your 9'4" x 31.5" is 163L, which gives you a guild factor of 2 (1.96 adjusted for height).
In the guild factor, I've heard the skill level rating is:
Beginner = 2               [166L with height correction]
Intermediate = 1.7      [141L with height correction] 
Advance = 1.5            [124L with height correction]   
Pro = 1.3                    [108L with height correction]   

I think a drop to a guild factor of 1.6 -1.7 (132L-141L) would be a realistic drop [15% drop in volume].  The next drop would be a guild factor of 1.5 (120L - 125L) [12% drop in volume].  The next drop would be a guild factor of 1.4 (112L-116L) [6% drop in volume].  That should help narrow down your search.  Then you can decide on what attributes of the board are important to you when deciding a model.  Food for thought: Coming from a board that is 9'4" x 31.5" (x 5.1"?), I think you'll see a performance jump with a thinner board that sits lower in the water, which will let you sink the rails for turns.  A board with the same dimensions with a thickness of 4.4" would give you a volume around 140L, and similarly with a thickness of 3.9" would give you a volume around 124L.
This is the path I followed, gf = 2 (11' x 31.5" x 5"), gf = 1.6 (11' x 29.125" x 4.38"), gf = 1.45 (9'4" x 33" x 4"), gf = 1.33 (8'11" x 30" x 4.5").  Once I got to a board with a guild factor of 1.45, things started to click for me in terms of progression.  Hoping to some day get down to a gf=1.23 (7'4" x 29" x 4.5"), but boards with a gf of 1.4-1.5 are super fun.
Width is a preference thing.  If you ride in glassy conditions, you can get away with narrower.  If you ride in choppy conditions, you will appreciate a wider board.  As you go shorter in length, you may want to keep your width, to keep similar stability. 
To get your current board to turn, make sure you are getting your back foot all the way back on the tail, over the fins.  You could experiment with fins: a) very big side fins, no center fin, b) very big side fins, nubster, c) thruster setup instead of 2 +1 (moving center fin to front of box).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:01:13 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 08:03:56 AM »
The Guild factor seams to equate higher volumes as being more stable or easier for beginners. I don't agree with that.

Like most people, I started on high volume boards. 10'6 X 32" 170 liters, 9'4 X 31" 155 liters.

I think both those boards would have been just as easy for me to learn on if they had been 130 liters. Maybe even easier. They definitely would have surfed better.

People less than 180lbs have always been short-changed by the SUP industry. If you weigh less than 180lbs and want a 9' board, it's almost impossible to find one with a low enough volume and all the boards that do have low enough volumes are often way too short and narrow.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:31:17 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

JBMaine

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »
I ended up getting a 9’6 Sunova Steeze @145L and this board really helped my surfing especially going down the line. You can ride it as a single fin and practice your longboard style
I have had my Steeze for a year and a half. It has been a great board to learn on for the sloping waves that are usually hitting my beach. After a bit I took Rick W’s advice and replaced the center fin with a smaller one. This has greatly aided its ease of turning. The longboardish shape forces you to (allows you to?) learn to run around on it.  The wide nose on a steep wave will force you to learn to be on the tail to do the bottom turn. Now as soon as I win the lottery I can get a shorter more curvy board. Until then I am “steezing”.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:21:55 AM by JBMaine »

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »
I've heard that learning to surf on a smaller (sub 10') board is easier.  In hindsight, I could have learned to surf on a 9'4" gf = ~1.45 board.  Supthecreek is loving his 9'6" gf =1.54 board and recommends it to beginners.  The good news is Seaview is already on a sub 10' board.
Badger I agree with what you are saying.  High volume boards are dangerous in the surf, especially for beginners. (I cracked a rib on my 11' gf = 1.6 board).
Badger 6'1" 170#, 77 kg (81 kg corrected for height)
10'6" x 32" x 4.6" 170L [gf=2]
9'4" x 31" x 4.85" 155L [gf=1.9]
If your boards would have been thinner:
10'6" x 32" x 4" 148L [gf=1.83]
10'6" x 32" x 3.8" 140L [gf=1.73]
9'4" x 31" x 4.25" 135L [gf=1.66]
9'4" x 31" x 4" 127L [gf=1.57]
9'4" x 31" x 3.8" 121L [gf=1.49]
I agree that a guild factor smaller than 1.7 would have been easier to learn to surf on.
In the last decade, boards in the 9' realm have gotten wider, which often means you have to go custom to get the volume dialed in.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:08:14 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Seaview

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
Thanks All!  Definitely a lot of great advice.  It gives me a lot to think about and research.
Quatro Glide 8'8" x33" 145lt
Starboard All Star 14'0" x 28" inflatable

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »
Anything Infinity :)
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout