Author Topic: Building a Gong foil wing quiver - Help me out here  (Read 10555 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Gong foil wing quiver - Help me out here
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:55 PM »
Oh man, I never thought of that but it tracks with my original order time-wise. The irony of China still being able to ship cheap is insane.

Anyway, yeah, I’m impressed with this. The Rise looks cheap. This thing is as nice as any other wing made.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
Yes, this is a good looking wing shape! Gary Efferding (Hi-Per Tech) once told me "Don't confuse the water"

So I just tried to ship a box of lebkuchen (from Germany) to my sister in PA. Went on the Deutsche post website and it worked out to 15.60 Euro. Was a little over 2KG so we had to eat some before boxing it up ;D
Went to the post to send it and the guy says that'll be 55.60 Euro. But... but... but I says... but nothing he says, your president caused this. Nothing but priority shipping allowed to the US. So apparently something Trump did has caused standard shipping to disappear to the US and that's likely why Gong shipping charges have suddenly increased as well.

I wouldn't trust your Info about the cause of shipping price thing. I notice that now UPS even has hefty temporary surcharge on state side shipping for this Christmas period. 

I have yet to understand the Gong shipping. A little while back I got a quote of 200 Euros to ship 1 tail from Gong. Crazy right?  At the same time I got a shipment from Takoon of 3 wingdings for 130 euros (Huge box).  Fast forward, last weak I got a shipment of 3 Curve T wings and 2 tails from Gong for 110 Euros :-\ . I guess I should just be glad for the random reasonable shipping. I didn't get any tracking info this time but it got here fast enough.

The XL-T, XL and the L-T seems like it covers my needs with the Wingding. The XL-T is going to be my go to for normal light wind days we get here really like it.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »
Thatspec look into these guys in Amsterdam for peanut butter. Came across it when on holiday with my family. Best peanut butter I've ever had! Some of the flavors are crazy!
https://depindakaaswinkel.nl/
 Looking at buying a Gong foil to learn to wing. Should I go straight to the new XL-T. I am 80 kgs.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 01:01:47 AM »
Hey thanks Tarquin,
Looks like it's even possible to mail order. The Netherlands seems to have a real peanut butter culture. Germany's is very limited if you don't want palm oil and sugar added. Only tiny jars available at eye watering prices (actually everything here comes tiny sized like everywhere in Europe, at least compared to my US Costco view of things).

Yes, at 80Kg I'd go with the XL-T or maybe XL Curve for learning to wing. If I recall you have foiling experience(?) so even the XL Veloce would probably be fine (but the Veloces shouldn't necessarily be an end goal unless they suit your style and conditions). See if you can get a mass order together to save on shipping, I doubt anything's going to change regarding shipping options for at least six months  ::)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2020, 01:22:40 AM »
No foiling experience. I live in France so the shipping won't be a problem.
 At least you can get good beer in Germany. In big sizes! French beer is pretty average.
 Need to get my act together and finish the board I started.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
Tarquin the XL Curve is pretty universal for wing foil. People love it.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 06:28:44 AM »
Wonder if Patrice is busy designing a super high aspect blade wing up in the 7.5+AR like the new Unifoils, Go Foil P180 or Axis 980? Interestingly, the large Veloce already has about 30% lower volume (940cm3 vs 1257cm3) than the new Axis 980 for the same surface area. Axis doesn't state the max thickness but it's hard to imagine the 980 as the thinner wing. The AR is quite a bit lower in the Veloce range so theoretically more surface area would be required for a given weight.

It's hard to imagine using a wing in the 1250ish cm2 range regardless of AR and I doubt it suits my style / conditions but I'd try it for the 300 bucks Gong would charge;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:31:39 AM by Thatspec »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 06:07:09 PM »
Thatspec, you have the same idea I do. Gong is making one of everything and I'm goofing off with them all using one mast and fuse.

I'm good for a bit but yeah I can see HA for winging for sure. Based on my last two sessions I can see how in SoCal I'll be riding between the gusts. So long glide will be important for low wind days when you're getting up on a gust and then cruising.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 01:29:43 AM »
Yeah, could be they feel there's just not a big enough market for it, like the 85cm carbon mast a dozen+ people on their forum are whining for (this I'd buy, even with stateside shipping).  It's highly unlikely any of the aforementioned super high aspect wings will even give me 3mph over my current gear (that I don't need). Think I'm all set for a while as well below the water. Above the water I'm still plotting and scheming  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:32:53 AM by Thatspec »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 06:23:44 PM »
Ok, so reviving this as it's time to add/swap a wing.

I've been winging my Rise XL (2100cm sq) for 6+ months now and I'm hitting the speed limit and can feel it.

I have the Curve LT and think that will work for good wind (15kt+) but I really get a lot of low wind days here and actually like them. So I'm thinking of adding a Curve XL (and the new stiffer mast.)

Question to OBX and Solent and Thatspec who own Gong. Do I go straight to the Veloce XL for low wind? Or will the high aspect at 1600cm not give me that low low flight speed. I think I'd be happy with the Curve XL, so I'm not pressing for the Veloce, but I wanted to ask now that you guys have owned those for a while.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 12:37:56 AM »
Ok, so reviving this as it's time to add/swap a wing.

I've been winging my Rise XL (2100cm sq) for 6+ months now and I'm hitting the speed limit and can feel it.

I have the Curve LT and think that will work for good wind (15kt+) but I really get a lot of low wind days here and actually like them. So I'm thinking of adding a Curve XL (and the new stiffer mast.)

Question to OBX and Solent and Thatspec who own Gong. Do I go straight to the Veloce XL for low wind? Or will the high aspect at 1600cm not give me that low low flight speed. I think I'd be happy with the Curve XL, so I'm not pressing for the Veloce, but I wanted to ask now that you guys have owned those for a while.

Having three of the Veloce line, I use them as:
XXL - session saver when really light, (for me that's <12 knots)
XL - all rounder, which I used for everything when I first got it. Descent bottom end (I needed some sort of white caps on the water to be OK with it, so 12+ plus knots and 6m) and was ok until the water started getting quite choppy, and it started to bounce me around a bit and got uncomfortable.
L - I try and use this one as much as possible now so in 14+ knots and 5m (the 6m has been retired now) Really really like it, but I am curious to try smaller on my sinker, maybe the Curve/Pro M or MT.

You can see that the XL has been squeezed out a bit in terms of range overlap, but the  XL is still a very useful size to have when I want that protection against the wind dropping (evening sessions), or it's a marginal call on the L. I wouldn't choose to use the XXL as I find it more awkward to use, so only having the XXL and L would feel like a big jump.

I think the low end on the XL Veloce and Curve LT would be too close. The LT sits right in that all rounder spot, like the Veloce XL does. If you think the Curve XL will be big enough for light winds then go for that, otherwise I'd suggest the Veloce XXL. Hope that helps!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 07:28:29 AM »
Thank you. Since I have the LT then I’ll probably just add the Curve XL unless you think the HA glide is that more dramatic. The Veloce XL is only 1600 and the LT is 1450. I know I can’t go by the numbers alone but that’s pretty close.

Love to hear from others as well. Trying to bridge a surf/sup/wing quiver here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal