Author Topic: Lessons Learned from my 1st 100K week...  (Read 2085 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Lessons Learned from my 1st 100K week...
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:30:25 AM »
With the pandemic cancelling my planned 3-week trip to Italy, I decided to spend a week paddling Virginia's waterways to include the Potomac, Occoquan, James, Chesapeake Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean in Va. Beach. In total, 105 km of paddling over 7-days...here's what I learned.

(1) The ocean takes what it wants - no exceptions! (i.e., I was 'loosely' holding my fin trying to wash sand off and a wave swept it away, gone forever.)
(2) A sandy beach is not a good place to deflate your iSUP...especially when wet  ;)
(3) When paddling in a 'high fall zone', wear cheap sunglasses. Another casualty from my first ocean paddle...lol.
(4) Know your river/ocean currents and think thru any out and back scenarios where you may be paddling back against the current and against a headwind!  :-[
(5) Overuse injuries in SUP are a real thing. My shoulders feel like I a pitched a triple-header and I never knew I could injury ribcage muscles.  :'(
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lessons Learned from my 1st 100K week...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
Been there..done all that, but you just did it in record time.  ::)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
Good week Lou!
That is a LOT of miles in one week on an inflatable!!!
Yewwwwww!

All classic lessons you will probably remember now  ;D
Pay special attention to the wind/tide/current in trip planning, that little mistake has cost more than a few newbies their lives....that, and not wearing a leash.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:03:31 PM »
I started as a raw ocean newbie. It’s fun, but yes, be careful and patient. It pays off. The ocean takes more than fins and sunglasses.

But a little study yields great rewards for sure. And I agree with tall dude, you packed a summer of mistakes into a week lol. Well done. I can’t imagine paddling that far in a week. Well done.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »
That's some serious miles--like doing 2.5 Cape Cod Bay Challenge paddles in a week. I think I've done that much in a week training for the CCBC, but I'm not sure. If you keep it up you'll be able to do it regularly. But on an inflatable? No thanks.

I've learned and somehow unlearned that sunglasses lesson far too many times. The bottom at Kanaha is paved with my Maui Jims.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 06:19:01 AM »
Bonus Pro Tip: If the water shoes you are wearing (prior to paddleboarding) stinks, your deck pad is also going to stink.  8)

(boy have I spent a bunch of time deodorizing the deck pad...lol)
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal