Author Topic: First attempts at behind-the-back wing pass tack  (Read 1735 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
First attempts at behind-the-back wing pass tack
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:24:00 AM »
Or whatever it’s called. Of course the first of anything I complete standing up ain’t so pretty, but as always, it’s a start. Talk about a lot of releasing and regrabbing required in short order😮. It makes regular tacks feel like a cake walk in comparison (....and the pro’s make it look so easy). Anyway here’s a short clip in some gusty 4m conditions. Kinda proud of myself for staying on the new Veloce and not just going back to my trusty pro XL for trying new tricks. Pretty much no clue on proper technique or wing leash-to-waist-belt-setup.  I was trying to do the final regrab so quickly that on one attempt I seriously jammed/twisted my right middle two fingers on the boom,....and like a typical idiot, kept riding for another hour. A bit swollen this morning so I don’t  think I’ll be riding for the next few days, but I could use a break (and a bit stormy for the next day or so anyway). Too lazy to find it in all the footage but I‘m slowly getting the hang of the pump cadence of this mega glide wing and getting some longer luff-and -pump rides

https://youtu.be/z22qMYWGrKM

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First attempts at behind-the-back wing pass tack
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 05:17:42 AM »
Very impressive and way beyond my pay grade. Definitely needs a more pithy name.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: First attempts at behind-the-back wing pass tack
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:38:01 AM »
Very impressive and way beyond my pay grade. Definitely needs a more pithy name.
Video editing always removes the hilarious first try’s. Despite the extended wing leash length, if I didn’t have the leash set up to “unwind” (around my back) for the 180 deg turn it would wrap up even tighter on the transition to where it was impossible for me to regrab the wing and fly it properly. I’d go smacking into the water all tangled up.  I accidentally had the 360 cam set in “time lapse” mode (can’t see crap without my readers) at the start of the session, so those memorable moments were forever lost!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal