Author Topic: SS V2 VS F-ONE Swing  (Read 6126 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: SS V2 VS F-ONE Swing
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 03:05:48 AM »
I’ve been thinking recently about how different wings feel pumping...not from a wing tip catching point of view, aspect ratio, or anything else, but from how they feel when you “hammer on them” ....full body pumps.

On many wings, the canopy collapses on the push out stroke, then inflates on the pull in. So when you are underpowered for a given size, the wing gives a flappy (in the middle) unsatisfying lack of power feeling.

The only wings I can think of that actually felt rock solid and satisfying in this particular area is the WASP and the Echo. All the rest, have had some level of flappy ness.

So with that said, the Unit having the canopy attached rigid to the strut for 2/3 of its length, makes me go hum...will it match the feeling I remember in the WASP, and what I have currently in the Echo? The old Duotone was flappy BTW.

Yes!  We were at the Hook two days ago and Chan was teaching her sister to wing.  I was watching from shore.  There were a dozen or so beginners on a variety of wings.  One thing I noticed is that they were mostly pulling and pushing symmetrically, so, exerting a lot of energy but doing almost as much to stall forward motion on the recovery (push) as they were creating it on the pull.  I think we all improve at making the wing more transparent on the recovery and more present on the pull through cadence and motion but even so the wing can help (or hurt) a lot.  I have gotten used to what the Swing does but I am sure that it could be improved.  You lose a lot to floppy handles alone.  There is a lot of room to improve there.  This is also where too soft a wing (through underinflation, design, or both) will kill you.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:08:33 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SS V2 VS F-ONE Swing
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
Dwight, would be interested in your thoughts about the BRM wing if you get a chance to try one.  I played with one on the beach and it seemed incredibly stiff but then I was riding close to one on the water and when he pumped it, the whole thing moved a lot. Hard to describe but kinda like a butterfly flapping its wings.  It was pretty dramatic how it was folding up and down.

I noticed the same thing with the BRM wings, it doesn't look like a benefit as far as pumping goes, but it might just be one person's technique.

I think I do a pretty sloppy job of wing pumping, but since it takes a LOT of pumps to get me off the surface with smaller foils, my technique, though highly variable, has (struggling for a word here) "improved??" so that once I start to break free of the surface I can flap like crazy to get the rest of the way up. I've tried a lot of different methods, and the one that seems to work best for me is a fairly even pull with both arms that yanks my body forward, and I don't shove the wing out to recover so much as move my chest back away from the wing. In other words the wing stays more steady in the air than my body does.

Of course i don't know what it looks like from the beach, but the last ten or so pumps look to me like a chicken trying to fly
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal