Author Topic: This is why we're doing this:  (Read 3288 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
This is why we're doing this:
« on: October 25, 2020, 08:08:42 PM »
I know a lot of you have seen this, but get a snifter of brandy, a comfortable chair, pop this up full screen with the volume turned up and relax. 18 minutes of endorphin coma. This is why we're all working so hard to master this sport. This is why we've quit doing anything else, going out in the river when it's f*king freezing.

This.

Right here.

This is what we want to do.

https://oneflyingdutchman.com/?p=1408
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: This is why we're doing this:
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:52:47 PM »
I’ve sent that video to everyone I surf with (surfed) it explains it perfectly.

supfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 03:37:48 PM »
This is the first video Ive seen that really shows the swell size you have to deal with out there. Most vides make it look knee hi.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »
Even this video makes it look a lot smaller than it is. Most of these swells are long period--the "wind swell" that comes from the east starts off 2500 miles away in most cases. With the distance most of the swells travel the short period stuff dies away and the long period stuff gets amplified by the wind. I've seen east swells over 30 feet, but the period is so long it looks more like ten. Some serious camera folks could probably explain why swells that are clearly overhead look knee-high.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »
Great video. I love any non-powered water sport. It had nice peaceful music which was captivating, but I was feeling that prone girls burn with all that hopping:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
I'm reasonably certain the "prone girl" is Andrea Moller, who could easily do that all the way to Molokai, and probably back. I might be wrong, I told Diane it was our friend Andrea and she thinks I'm nuts.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
Amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

The woman pumping is incredible. That seems like it would take ungodly strength, endurance and absolutely unreal skill to be able to ride swell with no other source of power other than your legs. Does she paddle in or is she towed in?

Also how much are those boards?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 09:15:13 PM »
Offshore prone you can chip in close to shore on a breaking wave and then pump out but since there was a boat I’ll bet she towed or stepped off the boat.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 04:11:13 AM »
The guy on the Ensis wing makes it look so nice and surfy. Wonder what foil he is using..... And is he even wearing a wing-leash?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »
Amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

The woman pumping is incredible. That seems like it would take ungodly strength, endurance and absolutely unreal skill to be able to ride swell with no other source of power other than your legs. Does she paddle in or is she towed in?

Also how much are those boards?

I guess you don't know who andrea is. Google her. She's incredible. Big league. Multiple M2M winner, Jaws surfer, etc. etc.. She's my hardass daughter's hero. They're both EMTs--I introduced them at Colleens in Haiku a few years ago and they started doing all this EMT, firefighter, rescue stuff while i sat there wondering what they were talking about. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 10:22:30 AM »
Ya, that is pretty spectacular, Bill. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal