Author Topic: Basic guidelines/measurements for deck inserts - foil board  (Read 2309 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
My local guy is slow-walking the board but, the end is in sight'ish.  He wants to first hang the foil to determine the balance point for the underside handle. (none for the top)

I do not think I need rear inserts as this is a wingboard, but I want to mount an array upfront for 'options'.  I thought I could look at photos of how most of you stand and pick good general positions for the inserts, but why guess if there is already a mostly accepted standard?  The problem is: I cannot seem to find references to one... and, I do not have access to any production boards from the 'name brands'.  So, I'm asking.  Can I assume a good 'rear mark' is the center of the foil mount?   Thanks.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Basic guidelines/measurements for deck inserts - foil board
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
A while back I believe Beasho found that a stance of approx 25.5" was a good starting point for strap placement, and for myself (about 6'1") I prefer a little wider "stance" (front of the mast to middle of strap) of 26.5" that I use when setting up my boards.

I too don't use a rear strap, but do have the inserts centered over the front of the mast, just in case I ever decide to try one again (maybe with a wingfoil?).
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 05:26:20 AM »
Thanks, Sano.  I think you and Beasho are about right. At 5-10, if I do a simple 'side-stride', I hit 24-25".  It seems to give me stability without feeling over extended.  Cheers.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:13:00 AM »
Kite foil standard is 26. It goes down from there for comfort.

A strapless rider uses a lot less width for comfort, because he can adjust when conditions require it.

Strapped, you have to stay wide to handle all situations thrown at you.

If you’re short, you have to back off the width, otherwise you get in a situation where you loose your ability to slide hips forward and back to adjust trim.

Wingers tend to use less width than kiters. The edging/loading is less than kiting.

Use wider than windsurfing strap spread. Use 7 inches, not the 6 or 6.5 used on wave boards.

Back foot will be forward of mast center with big lift foils. Jacky is several inches forward for example. Slippery low drag foils, you’ll be on center or behind.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:18:37 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:09:52 AM »
Hi Wet,

I gave you the measurements for my Fanatic Sky SUP below.  As a production wing specific board this was their attempt to capture something that would work for all wingers.   I spread the whole cluster with my straps.  I can move my feet forward or back in the straps but I ride at the 23 inch minimum a lot (I am 6'2) which has my foot just back of center on the mast.  I don't have a back strap on my board right now but this is where my back foot lines up.  If I were doing a custom I would have them add one more insert on the inside of each cluster to allow us to wiggle to narrower stances. 

17 inches innermost screw to innermost screw.
8.5 inch total cluster width
6.5 inch spread per position (although you aren't limited to a position and can spread the whole cluster if you want).
25 inches center of cluster to center of cluster.
23 inch minimum stance width (using both straps).
Front insert of back strap is .5 inch behind front of mast track.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal