Author Topic: Mainers beware - you too Creek.  (Read 3522 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mainers beware - you too Creek.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
Julie Dimperio, the victim was my one of my bosses for 11 years .  One of the brands we sell in the Caribbean is Kipling, and she was the President.  Nice woman, tragic ending.  When I heard there was a shark attack in Bailey Island, I thought of her , never imaged she would be the victim. still can't believe it.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:37:38 AM »
 :-X

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:39:56 PM »
Sorry to hear Caribsurf. Always tragic, but hits closer to home when the victim turns out to be someone you know. My condolences to her family, yourself, and anyone else who knew her as a friend. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:22:09 PM »
It's very sad. It's weird how yesterday I was doing an 8 mile ocean paddle and had one of those moments. You know... the one where you think about you being the prey. 2 miles out and all alone, and the thought crosses your mind. It's rare, but it does occasionally creep into my head and briefly mess with me. I usually forget about it within minutes. I've paddled easily over a thousand miles now in the ocean since I started distance paddling and never have I seen a shark. I've seen them while I'm surfing at SanO, but not out in the deep water.

The NPR article incorrectly used the word 'paddled' in place of 'swam' which seems an almost intended misuse of words. Maybe to capture a larger interest, or just poor writing?

I'm always worried when I see little groms splashing around in black wetsuits at SanO. The parents are maybe just a little naive?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
Julie Dimperio, the victim was my one of my bosses for 11 years .  One of the brands we sell in the Caribbean is Kipling, and she was the President.  Nice woman, tragic ending.  When I heard there was a shark attack in Bailey Island, I thought of her , never imaged she would be the victim. still can't believe it.

Wow Don, my deepest condolences, I am so sad to hear that she was a close friend, what a horrible loss for you, her family, friends and all the ocean lovers in Maine.

The territorial creep is happening. What used to be concentrated on Cape Cod is evolving.
The GW spotter pilot says he has seen far fewer massive gatherings of seals in our area this summer.
Could be over crowding is depleting the fish stocks that the seals feed on... could be the Great White explosion is moving them along.
Whatever it is, the GW's also seem to be spreading around New England more these days.... maybe following some sort of seal dispersal around the region.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »
Thanks Creek.  She was an interesting woman, a triathlete and sports enthusiast.
Bailey Island, Maine was her escape from rat race in Manhattan, and she loved it there. 

In Florida I always have my eye on the water as sharks are pretty common place.  In Maine, I’m more frightened of stepping on a lobster, but that might be changing.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
Tragic...sorry to hear Carib.

Our beaches were closed for awhile today, supposed sighting of a GW near the beach. Lots of bait and seals in the water.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 10:41:27 AM »
Sorry to hear Carib,

I thought of you right away when the media released her name and her past successes and wondered if that was the brand you and your wife represented. What an tragic, horrible way to be rewarded for leading such an intentional life. Unlike some forms of climbing or base jumping or whatever she was not actively engaged in risky activity that can be a numbers game. So horribly unlucky. Life is cruel that way sometimes.

Last Sunday two of my dear friends with a boat invited me to out to Grosport Harbor at the Island of shoals to escape the 95 degree heat in Portsmouth, NH. It was crowded with their friends and many boats we passed asked if we had "driven through the seals yet, there are thousands of them?". Apparently on Duck Island( one of the ledgy, small uninhabited Islands there is a seal coloney getting started. I said to my friend bummer that means more Great Whites headed our way. He sent me this text on Tuesday "Wow the woman in Maine killed by a great white! U where foreshadowing"

New England Is My Playground

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 12:16:25 PM »
Ya Marta, hard to believe isn't it?   I keep thinking if she had entered the water 5 mins later, maybe the shark would have left the area.  You just never know when your number is up and why you have to live each day to the fullest.   

wow, I never knew there was a seal population that big and that close.  Now I can stop teasing those guys on the Cape.  At the same time I think, why would sharks come to our shores if there is such a food source on Duck Island.

I've surfed with sharks for years in Florida and the Caribbean and it comes with the territory, but not great whites.  Probably a good time to be a SUPer and not a proner.  I've been thinking of retiring anyway and just wing foil and take up sailing.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
Don, So sorry to hear that you had such a close and personal friendship with Julie.

Condolences and sympathies to you and her family.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
Thanks Mr. Big