Author Topic: Soft SUP Rack ?  (Read 4396 times)

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soft SUP Rack ?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 11:40:38 AM »
love this:  without roof rails you run the straps through the windows and attach together.  No worries at 70+mph

https://www.curvesurf.com/products/sup-soft-racks-sup-car-rack-paddle-board-surf-racks-usa-by-curve
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:42:17 AM by MLB »

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soft SUP Rack ?
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »
There’s no need to drill to use Yakima or Thule racks.

I don’t have factory  tracks in the cap, so you either have to install the stand alone bases or the tracks on top. Both require drilling.

What's your reservation about drilling.  You might have good reason, but pretty easy to do it with a fiberglass cap.  I'd be leery of drilling through the metal roof into the passenger compartment, but I've put yakima tracks on my last two trucks with caps (Snugtop and Leer).  Yakima is well designed and easy to do if you take your time.  Never had any problem with leaks, etc.  My 14' pretty much lives on the top of my truck.

Thanks for sharing your experience man ! My only reservation is that the cap cost about as much as my SUP and I would hate to mess it up! But I've got some friends at work who've done it and you've done it twice with no issues, so maybe I'll just go for it. I can get a pretty good deal on a rack system.

Hold my beer and hand me that drill!   ;)

I get that.  Always a little nerve-wracking to drill into something designed to protect you from rain.  I measured things multiple times from every possible angle and even laid down tape first to make sure things were lined up and parallel.  I seem to recall that Yakima comes with a little silicone you put around the hole and then really good washers for both sides.  Be really hard for anything to get in.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal