Author Topic: Soft SUP Rack ?  (Read 4394 times)

Kip

Soft SUP Rack ?
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a soft SUP rack or way to transport on the cab/canopy of a truck.

I’ve got a quad cab Pickup with a 6.5 foot bed and snug top canopy, but I’m trying to avoid drilling to install a roof rack and cross bars.
My 14’ is fairly secure in the bed with straps, but it sticks out a ways which makes me nervous. And if I wanna put my wife’s board and my touring board back there + the kids in the can, then the dog can’t come. So I’m wondering if there’s a safe system anyone uses to strap to the top of their rigs.

Cheers,

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Soft SUP Rack ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 11:15:57 PM »
There’s no need to drill to use Yakima or Thule racks.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:42:34 AM »
Hey Kip. I purchased the below pads off Amazon for $40. They're fine for my 2-mile trip; however, I wouldn't trust them for a long highway trip because the strap mechanism is fairly weak.

https://www.amazon.com/Neolife-Wrap-Rax-Surfboard-Paddleboard-Snowboard/dp/B0888CZ89M
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 05:42:05 AM »
I’ve got a quad cab Pickup with a 6.5 foot bed and snug top canopy

Quad cab not crew cab?
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

krash

• Rincon Status
  • Old fugger who loves to fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 06:27:30 AM »
I used Soft racks for years and they work well, althought I use them on a 2dr Civic... they last a few years before the foam has given up its useful life. The first set was Dakine double surfboard racks, (long before there were SUP's). meant to carry up to 4 surf boards, currently have hard Thule aero racks, but carry a set of soft SUP racks  made by FCS.

The FCS soft SUP racks are more pricey than many others, but they have, mpo, the best and easy to use tie down FCS D-ring system. The ones I have now came with a soft bag and stow easily in the trunk for emergency use, you never know when someone might steal the hard racks off the roof of your car.

One note, if you drive in any rain, every soft system I;ve had, the web straps that go thru your vehicle will wick water and drip at the lowest poingtwhich is usually right in someones lap or you're seats...

I would suggest that you also use a bow and stern line for additional security when travelling, I take many 1-2 hour drives to get to a fishing hole, at hi-way + speeds.

Old fugger who just likes to fish

Kip

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »

I don’t have factory  tracks in the cap, so you either have to install the stand alone bases or the tracks on top. Both require drilling.

Kip

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »

Quad cab not crew cab?

Yea I yell about that a lot as I’m trying to wrestle the 6 month old’ scar seat out of there 😂

Kip

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
Thanks Krash!
I’ll look into those.

Windwarrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 07:00:53 AM »

Quad cab not crew cab?

Yea I yell about that a lot as I’m trying to wrestle the 6 month old’ scar seat out of there 😂

I'm eyeballing the crewmax and know 5.5' is as long as they go. At least on the Tundra.
Hala Carbon Hoss
#2? TBD!!

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:49 AM »
I’ve had them and honestly you’re better off with some quality straps and a couple of foam blocks and run the straps through the vehicle much more secure blue planet has a video on this if you go to the YouTube channel other than that Thule have been good for me on multiple cars and trucks. I also favor a safety strap through the vehicle regardless of rack at highway speed
Starboard Allstar 2019 14x28
Infinity Wide Aquatic 10 8
Yolo Original 10 6

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 07:22:28 AM »
This set up versatile
Yolo Original 10 6

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 03:44:43 PM »

I don’t have factory  tracks in the cap, so you either have to install the stand alone bases or the tracks on top. Both require drilling.

What's your reservation about drilling.  You might have good reason, but pretty easy to do it with a fiberglass cap.  I'd be leery of drilling through the metal roof into the passenger compartment, but I've put yakima tracks on my last two trucks with caps (Snugtop and Leer).  Yakima is well designed and easy to do if you take your time.  Never had any problem with leaks, etc.  My 14' pretty much lives on the top of my truck.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Kip

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 03:57:59 PM »

What's your reservation about drilling.  You might have good reason, but pretty easy to do it with a fiberglass cap.  I'd be leery of drilling through the metal roof into the passenger compartment, but I've put yakima tracks on my last two trucks with caps (Snugtop and Leer).  Yakima is well designed and easy to do if you take your time.  Never had any problem with leaks, etc.  My 14' pretty much lives on the top of my truck.

Thanks for sharing your experience man ! My only reservation is that the cap cost about as much as my SUP and I would hate to mess it up! But I've got some friends at work who've done it and you've done it twice with no issues, so maybe I'll just go for it. I can get a pretty good deal on a rack system.

Kip

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 04:06:18 PM »
This set up versatile

Nice! You ever do a 14' on the cab crossbars?

gcs

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 03:48:38 AM »
Frequently. Two on bars. One through cab.  Very secure.  Dakine Baha best cam buckle straps i have had.  Thule make a thicker one too. Most are pretty good though.  Avoid dangerous bungies  rail crunching ratchet straps. If a lot of sun and salt exposure let them go at any sign of wear. Cheap insurance for your boards and especially those around you. Board on top is a 14
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:50:49 AM by gcs »
Yolo Original 10 6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal