Author Topic: Anyone Paddle the Starboard Waterline?  (Read 6116 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Anyone Paddle the Starboard Waterline?
« on: July 26, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
Online reviews of this board are hard to find. Has anyone paddled this board? I’m curious how it could work for a flatwater racer? Also curious if you all think the 5 pound difference is worth $900 for the Carbon construction? Would the wood/carbon Sprint 24x14 be a better, albeit tippier, value?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Kip

Re: Anyone Paddle the Starboard Waterline?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:55:10 PM »
What’s the price running on that thing ?

I just bought my blackfish and personally couldn’t see the value in the $100/lb for Carbon vs Hybrid at my current skill and income level, but if I had the money to throw around I certainly would have gone full carbon just for S & G ‘s. Crazy what Starboard charges for Carbon vs other companies though

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:00:30 AM »
What’s the price running on that thing ?

$1399 for the "Lite Tech" version and $2299 for the "Carbon Top" version. The carbon version is about 4.6 pounds lighter. So, $900 for a 4.6 lbs. reduction.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:09:41 PM »
I’m very new to SUP (started in June), and already considering a hard board. I’m primarily paddling on flatwater with the occasional chop. I’m currently paddling a SIC RS Air Glide (inflatable), 14x28. I’m comfortable on this board but would like something with less flex, paddles straighter, and does a better job at cutting through minor chop instead of slapping it. I recall from my sculling days enjoying boats that set nicely which allow for maximum power application. I suspect SUP is similar?

Branded as a “fast touring board” the Starboard Waterline in top carbon has perked my interest. It looks like a board that sets nicely but I’m not sure how fast it is compared to the true flatwater racers (Starboard Sprint, Naish Javelin, NSP Ninja or similar). Would I be better served going with one of the true flatwater racers in 14x24 compared to the Waterline?
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:30:35 PM »
For flat water application this "upgrade" may not worth your money. It will probably feel nicer and certainly look nicer imo but in terms of speed, there is a chance you'll be slower ???

Start with the weight of the board, even with the carbon top you're going to end up with a heavier board (according to the specs) Are you willing to pay $2300 for a heavier board?
Looking at the specs, your RS has 350Liter volume which means that a lot of the board is out of the water (unless you're gorilla size) and therefor a lot less less drag.
It could be a good thing and a bad thing depending on the conditions but for standard flat water, no rough elements, that might render better results all things equal.

The waterline will surly have more waterline :o which give it some advantage, especially with it's pulled in nose compared to the water pushing nose of your board but it seems like
the deck will take in a lot of water in chop which may slow you down as well depending on how fast the deck is clearing.

It looks like a nice touring board and I have no doubt it will paddle nicer than your board but if you are considering racing you'd probably be better off with the Sprint model.

See if you can demo it and bring your RS for side by side comparison (with GPS). Do couple of races on your board first see what kind of results you are posting.
As for paddling straighter, there is a good chance a good fin will fix that. Not sure which fin you have but good chances it's the standard plastic fin that comes with many boards.

You'd be surprised how fast some folks can paddle on inflatable. high up on the list of flat water fast boards I've paddled is my 14x25 Red Paddle Elite. A tippy SOB but gave all the New
shiny Starboards a really good run for their money. It was just as fast as my 14x24 Blackfish in flat water at half the price. There is a lot of hype going around, a simple fact check
should clear that fog.

in progress...

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 04:00:38 PM »
Thanks burchas for the sanity check. I do like my RS Air Glide. I just wish I could paddle it straighter. When considering composite boards, the new 2020 SIC RS (my Air Glide's compatriot) seems like it would be a great flatwater racer. The 2020 NSP Ninja and Naish Javelin also look like rocket ships. Its a shame I can't test them all back-to-back. I did find one shop in Annapolis, MD that is not too far away and them have a 2020 RS in stock.  Maybe I'll wait until the 2021 models start trickling in and buy a 2020 at a discount.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 12:58:49 PM »
Bump. Also I'm curious if anyone has cross-shopped this against the SIC Okeanos or even the newer Starboard Generation??
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

cleanfront

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 08:41:52 AM »
Bump. Also I'm curious if anyone has cross-shopped this against the SIC Okeanos or even the newer Starboard Generation??
Where are you doing the majority of your paddling? I'm in south Fairfax County and split most of my time between Mason Neck and a small typically flat lake just past my backyard. If I was mostly paddling my 'backyard' and dead flat days on the Potomac, I would be looking at a Waterline.

However, days like yesterday with wind and lots of boat/jet ski traffic would've made the Waterline unenjoyable to dangerous on the Potomac. I've just been using a 2018 Naish Glide 14 x 29 as my all around board. (I sold my Naish Javelin last year seeing races being cancelled.) It has decent speed and handled both downwind and upwind mixed with some healthy wake from boats. Surprised I didn't fall in once. Just looking at shapes, Okeanos or the Generation would be what I'd look at for most conditions paddling the wider parts of the Potomac south of Wilson Bridge.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 03:02:20 PM »
cleanfront - I'm in Loudoun and paddle most mornings on Beaverdam Reservoir in Ashburn. I also paddle on the Potomac between Sterling and Leesburg, VA. I've also done a 8 mile paddle on the Occoquan. I ended up just purchasing a new (2018-holdover) SIC X-14 which I'm hoping to get sometime next week.

Let me know if you ever want to get together for a paddle!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal