Author Topic: Takoon Wing review  (Read 7815 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Takoon Wing review
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:13:55 PM »
There already plenty of reviews about the performance of the Takoon Wing by those more qualified than me, so my input is more about customer service, shipping and just some thoughts.

As far as performance there over 30 reviews on their site. The wing ranked at the top in a 10 wing performance comparison test performed by a few at a French magazine WindMag.  Here's Link to part of the French magazine's review. https://takoon.com/blogs/news/windsurf-magazine
 Also Gunnar will be reviewing them soon, so look for his Youtube review.

So before my purchase i had a bunch of questions (way more than normal for me, I was a high maintenance customer AKA PIA on this purchase but they were super nice in all their replies and gave me many helpful details) The chat icon on their site provided quick reply's almost every time within 24hours, even on weekends. A lot of replies were within an hour or so, with no language problems at all.

Once i placed my ordered for 3 wings and 2 leashes, they removed the VAT (Value Added Tax) with was about 16.7% savings. They quoted me 180 Euros shipping, then later contacted me to inform me that they were able to get a better shipping cost of 135Euros with another company :). They were able to take a Paypal payment which was easy & hassle free.
 (Interesting thing is the week before Gong quoted me 200euros to ship 1 WindWing from France, maybe it had something to do with being understaffed due to Covid...)

The shipment went out when they said it would, 6-25-20 with real nice tracking ability. There was a hangup for about 7 days at the last stop in France, so i contacted Takoon on day 7 of that delay and the package was moving again within a few hours ??? I got the package 3 days later on 7-13-20 which was about what i expected.

While my wings were in transit, Takoon discovered a problem with one size wing, in one specific color that i had coming to me. They phoned me (and emailed me) to tell me about the issue and what to look for and test. They assured me they would replace it ASAP or give me a refund. This is how good customer service becomes hands down great customer service. ;)

The Takoon wing is F-one like in that  they are both close to exact the same weight and both feel good in your hands, but maybe some details are not as refined. Example the pad behind the leading edge handle on the F-one is soft thick material. The Takoon's is a rougher material that might bother someones backhand if they held that handle for a extended time like de-powered down winding.  The Takoon is also very different than the F-one in that the wingtips are swept inward so the widest part is the the leading edge. So the 5m f-one has about the same wing span as the 6m Takoon. But the tip are also angle differently so wing span may not compare directly. The Takoon has more handles and subjectively maybe more comfortable also. It's a nice looking wing with a big diameter leading edge and very rigid.       

The one thing i did not like is the Takoon leashes. They look nice and have a nice clip-on, but they have only about 5" of stretch to them which makes them more of a rope than a leash. 

All in all very nice Windwing, the price was great and the customer service is the best. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:16:20 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Takoon Wing review
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Sounds good. the F-one leashes are also basically just a piece of spectra line with bungee inside. Seems goofy at first, but actually they're the best wing leashes I've tried. They have a boogie board style cuff which makes it easy to put on your wrist securely but still leaves it loose enough to rotate. Is the Takoon leash like that? If so, you'll probably come to like it a lot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
Sounds good. the F-one leashes are also basically just a piece of spectra line with bungee inside. Seems goofy at first, but actually they're the best wing leashes I've tried. They have a boogie board style cuff which makes it easy to put on your wrist securely but still leaves it loose enough to rotate. Is the Takoon leash like that? If so, you'll probably come to like it a lot.
Yeah the Takoon leash is good enough. And it looks similar to the F-one just a little longer, but the F-one leash stretches like 20" compare to takoons 5". The extra stretch would be nice when trying to flip a 7m wing. A 2' extension line solve the problem, but extra stretch would have been perfect.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:29:04 PM »
Some of these photo the wings were just had 1-2 psi
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 08:39:35 PM by Fishman »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:08:38 AM »
Thanks, Fishman...  Don't undersell yourself, I would prefer your 'customer' review over any rent-a-rider or someone selling advertising. 

HOWEVER...  "Next Delivery between September 15 and 30. Opening of pre-orders very soon."  If 15% better in an expert's hands, Joe Schmoe would be crazy to pass up any number of good brands and get started next week. 

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 05:37:28 AM »
No mention in the WS review of: handles; handles vs. boom; or how the wings perform during transitions. 

I wonder how it compares to the new Sling Shot V2?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:45:46 AM by deja vu »

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »
No mention in the WS review of: handles; handles vs. boom; or how the wings perform during transitions. 

I wonder how it compares to the new Sling Shot V2?
the handles are very nice and firm a little on the big side. All the feedback i see from folks i receipt are very good over all. I like it better than my F-one. The SMIK is it's twin brother, and it also has a lot of positive feed back on the Seabreeze forum.  Big down side now is like Wetstuf said, Takoon's current back log is long. Now October it's the soonest for some sizes.

Boom or handle is a personal thing. Looks like the New V3 Takuma has what may be a good compromise with 2 or 3 long strut handles.     

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal