Author Topic: BluePlanet balance surfer...  (Read 1736 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
BluePlanet balance surfer...
« on: July 23, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
I have had mine for a while and should use it more...  I bring it up because I get PT 2X weekly and one of the exercises is a Bosu ball, which I pretty much nail.  However, my drill sergeant has added a couple of twists that make it harder and potentially more productive than just quieting the jiggles I get when first paddling out.

The first is the coach selecting dipping angles ..starting with easy R-L and F-B ...then randomizing: 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock - 7 and 5.  I think we do that naturally on a SUP, but it is much different when being directed to the position.

BUT—apparently, the really tricky one is standing centered quietly and moving your head R-L ..then, the 'make you look bad' move is holding stationary and moving your eyes R-L.   He was surprised the later was easier for me...  (maybe because I am left-handed)

Anyway,  I pay to get that knowledge, I figured I would pass it on. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: BluePlanet balance surfer...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »
Hi Jim,
Interesting. I thought from the title that you are doing these exercises on the Balance Surfer but from the text it sounds like you are using a Bosu Ball at PT.  By dipping angle you mean tilting the board, not rotating it, right?
From paddling I know that it can be challenging to keep your balance while turning around to look at someone behind you (or a wave coming from behind).
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BluePlanet balance surfer...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:24 AM »
It helps me to know what works, rather than just letting my body intuit what to do.

Curious to know what others have learned from using the BP Bal Surfer.  It is more difficult than the actual SUP when centered, since the SUP only gets unstable after considerable movement or in rough conditions.

Subtle rotation of the upper body left and right, either at head, shoulder or hip offers the best control with slight knee and hip bend; rather than pumping the legs to return to neutral.  The legs alone are too imprecise.  My past focus on the legs has held me back.  Now I can move the BPB Surfer under control through its full range of rotation.

Rocking back and forth between heels and forefeet helps, and this may be something to try on the SUP.

Now, just balancing on one leg in a yoga pose, I can use this same upper body rotation to make a big improvement.  A soft cushy floor covering or shoe makes it more difficult.  The forefoot is a sensor that cues corrections, as well as the eyes focused on a reference object, and inner ear.

Over time, say, after 6 minutes, it gets more difficult and erratic.  Presumably because of fatigue.  Over time then one should get stronger.

Is it better to have shorter more difficult sessions, or to back off and not use the most difficult adaptor?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal