Author Topic: Crack developed around a box track  (Read 3583 times)

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Crack developed around a box track
« on: July 21, 2020, 04:29:31 AM »
One of my surfboards has developed a tiny crack at the end of one of the foil tracks. It looks like the plastic box is ready to start pulling out. I caught it early and it's just the paint that's cracked.

I'm wondering what's the best way to go about fixing it. Could I just cut around the plastic fin box, remove it, glue it back in and add some glass layers over the top? Was also thinking just drilling some holes close to that area and injecting 8LB density urathane foam, then a glass layer over the whole thing?

thnx

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Crack developed around a box track
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:41:36 AM »
Hard to say what is necessary. If you need to remove the box, the way I've done it is to route the box out. It's a lot easier if you already have a jig for installing boxes.

Generally trying to bodge a repair doesn't work for long and you're likely to wind up with a heavy board, one way or the other. Sand off the paint and see what you've got.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:15:54 PM »
Any crack around a track and you are 100% going to have a failure.

Stop immediately.  I have done 7 box replacements (all Tuttle) but one was from a Track board.  They typically will fail fast as in < 10 sessions if you weigh more than 100 lbs.  No joke.  I asked another foiler if he had problems with the same make of track only board (40 sessions in) he said "No my tracks are fine."  What!  Then 1 week later he said his tracks failed as well.  The failures also come from getting rocked in the surf.

Short of DW building your tracks that are confirmed all the way through from deck to deck I do not trust track installations (However I give similar street credit to Kalama and Jimmy Lewis).

Good luck.   

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
If you do repair, you really need to replace the box. Cutting it out isn’t worth the $15 the part costs and it’ll never get cleaned up for reinstall.

Do what Pono says route and put a new one in unless it’s really only paint. But that feels unlikely.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I really don't think it's just a paint crack.

I have a RideEngine foil track box that I never used for anything. The reason it was never used? Because I've followed most of the install/fail threads here for years and you guys just dont make it look easy! ;D Well, some make it looks easy but I know it's not. Routing the boxes out and putting in new ones _seems_ like a solution with the least amount of cutting. I guess if that fails I could then try and put the RideEngine box in.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »
I avoided to box repairs and installations for years.  The scariest repair to do on a surfboard (worse I think that a full 2 part break and repair).

HOWEVER using Gorilla Glue combined with a spritz of water has changed all that making box installations a snap. 

Epoxy runs, doesn't stick well to divinycell, and is HEAVY. 

Gorilla glue will expand, fill voids and sticks to everything.  It's practically fail-safe and stronger than the internal EPS foam.

Here is my strategy for making it lighter and cure faster than the basic solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZ3A3igBbY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 10:09:05 PM »
Actually, if I were in your shoes today, I'd fix it in an incredibly easy way. First, make sure it's not leaking water. Suck on the crack, if you get water (easier to tell if it's salt) you need to fix that, but just sand the crack and glass over it. Then get one of the new carbon stick on plates and stick it on. Done.

I bought one as the core of a simple build I plan to do, and it's a pretty cool part, but to repair something like this it's a natural. I'd never use one of these on an ordinary surf board, that just asking for a delam, but over the top of a foilboard tracks that are hinting at cracking out? perfect. It will be substantially stronger than new.

https://foilmount.com/

I calculated the amount of force required to rip that much surface area of VHB tape off a board. I don't remember the exact number but it was more than 900 pounds. the big trick with VHB is put a bunch of weight on it, and let it set for 24 hours. It more than doubles the bond strength in 24 hours. You might rip the bottom of the board out, but you aren't going to pull that tape off.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:17:32 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
I avoided to box repairs and installations for years.  The scariest repair to do on a surfboard (worse I think that a full 2 part break and repair).

HOWEVER using Gorilla Glue combined with a spritz of water has changed all that making box installations a snap. 

I watched that video a while ago but I was wondering why you didn’t use expanding urethane foam? (Will watch later again) I’m guessing that’s what the Gorilla Glue is? If it is, what density? I’ve used (still have some) the 8LB density and it’s TOUGH, seems close to PVC foam tough. This stuff sticks to everything, higher density expands less. I was thinking of trying some 16lb density. The place where I got the 8lb says the 16lb would need a hammer to dent: http://uscomposites.com/foam.html Would need to devise something to hold the boxes straight in place.

@PonoBill
This is a crossover board. If I use the stick-on pad, I can’t use it as a surfboard. Tried the sucking trick right after the session I noticed it on. Think it’s just paint but track’s definitely coming up. I could just cover the tracks and use it as a surfboard. Have plenty of other boards but feel this one’s worth saving. If anything it’s just experience working on boards but I still haven’t fixed some of the other boards I broke. :D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »

I watched that video a while ago but I was wondering why you didn’t use expanding urethane foam? (Will watch later again) I’m guessing that’s what the Gorilla Glue is? If it is, what density?

Yes - Gorilla Glue with Water Spritz is expanding Eurethane foam.   4 lbs per Cubic Foot.  This is in the Video Thumbnail
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:45:06 PM by Beasho »

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »

I watched that video a while ago but I was wondering why you didn’t use expanding urethane foam? (Will watch later again) I’m guessing that’s what the Gorilla Glue is? If it is, what density?

Yes - Gorilla Glue with Water Spritz is expanding Eurethane foam.   4 lbs per Cubic Foot.  This is in the Video Thumbnail

Duh! Thanks! ;D I’ll watch it again once I’m back at a computer tomorrow.

So, 4lb expands pretty far. 8LB I’ve used and it’s hard but 16lb should be even harder and a lot less expansion. ? So that’s why I had the lazy idea of drilling around the boxes and filling with the harder foam. Biggest reason (other than lazy) is I wouldn’t have to align the boxes. Routing around them and filling could also work. Mostly just busy to start the project. Just learned I now need to repair a roof leak. *SIGH*

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
I doubt the foilmount would really interfere with surfing. Super low profile. There would be some drag, but not a lot more than unfilled track slots or a big Tuttle hole.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal