Author Topic: Breaks to learn to SUP foil near Venice?  (Read 3380 times)

Transplant

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Breaks to learn to SUP foil near Venice?
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »
Hi all.
I'm spending time in LA a bunch visiting my girlfriend. What are good breaks to learn to SUP foil around here?
Mushy, sandy bottom, not steep...
And not crowded. :-)
In an old thread I saw El Porto mentioned - but that always seem to to have too many surfers out for me to be comfortable learning.

Any tips?
Thanks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Breaks to learn to SUP foil near Venice?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 06:17:48 PM »
Man, i think that depends on how new you are. Like sessions 1-5 or are you further down the road? I live in the Valley and I’ve been driving an hour north to a spot up near Ventura.

Sunset is the only named spot that I could call out where it’s doable but I’ve yet to foil it due to rocks and the fact that it kind of needs to be bigger to catch a wave. (Seriously mushy.) I’d only hit Sunset above a 2’6” tide (ok, honestly 3’+ is really all I’d do.) The rocks are no joke but they are predictable lol. It won’t break above a 3’ tide without serious swell which then makes it bigger so it’s a lame cycle for a beginner foiler like me.

Everything north of there is probably a no go for foilers though I’m always scouting and keeping an eye out.

Hdip has hit El Porto. You can find a peak without people during the week I’ll bet. Rides aren’t long but they are possible.

I’ve been wanting to go look for sandbars anywhere near SaMo or Venice so I’ll PM you if I find one if you’ll do the same lol. I’m wondering if near the mouth of the Marina might work. It’s shallow though so very tide dependent. But that’s the first spot I’d scout.

I’m seriously just trying to progress to where I’m comfortable in waist high waves and then things should open up a bit I feel like.

surfsupla

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 06:54:50 PM »
It really depends on tides. Sunset is very rocky. There are a lot of beginner surfers there though. If you do not have complete control and the ability to avoid people I would steer clear of sunset. A few foilers do hit it when its working, but I dont think its worth the risk. Theres plenty of of empty waves along will rogers, but not really conducive to what you are looking for. If you have time to drive down to San O would be best. That being said sm around tower 26 gets pretty crowded. But if you go north towards the pier, or south bw venice and bay st there are usually way less people.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
Mushy, sandy bottom, not steep...
And not crowded. :-)

Any tips?
Thanks!

You answered your own question there. 😀 any names spot is not good for learning. That’s part of the problem of learning to foil. Find a stretch of beach break that is barely breaking reasonably far out and reforming with no one around. This flat spell is a good time to learn.

Or drive to San o. The drive is longer but you’ll learn faster.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 08:36:20 PM »
Hdip, when I saw you I as supposed to be cruising south to check the beach breaks at mid tide but got a text from my buddy and chose surfing over research. I’m going to try to scope a bit on my next trip West.

But yes, if you’re a rank beginner choose less sessions on a better break. My drive time saves me struggle time.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
i was going to suggest mondos up in ventura but i have never seen it not crowded since this pandemic started....where the hell did all these surf schools come from???!!!...mondos used to be THE SPOT for foiling and foil learning...not its bumper to bumper wavestorms  >:(

Transplant

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 10:18:45 AM »
ANd maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with the spot - but while everyone says San O is the place to learn, I look at the cameras on surfline and its super crowded - which does not seem like the place to learn to me. :-)

Is there an off camera place at San O that is more conducive to falling off a foil?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
Yeah you go further and further south to foil. It's empty down there. I'm pretty sure they don't actually allow foils right there were the camera is. I've never foiled it myself. Lots of guys on here do though.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
What about the cove in PV?  I surfed there years ago and now think back that it could be a perfect foil wave.  not sure about seaweed or what tides work with the reef depth

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »
I've never been there. Wrong side of LA for me. So I won't confirm or deny any foiling done there or what tides would work there.

It is a named spot though so maybe not the best to try and LEARN to foil.

Transplant

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
Yeah, I think avoiding named beaches is a good call until I can control the foil more. (It's probably my 4 th time out today.  So I can take off, lift off onto the foil, fly for 6 feet, then usually end up turning toeside off the wave (not intentionally), or just falling over...)

Went out at a non-break at Dockweiler state beach, under LAX. SHort shore break, but no one around and good enough for me to get some short rides.

I'll try San O I'm down for the drive. THanks all!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
If you've got controlled flight you're doing good. Sounds like your'e on your way. It's smart to go with the turn of the board (unintentional pulling out of the wave) Never correct to the high side. That's a great way for the board to hook up and you fall right onto the foil. Smooth small adjustments.

I have to keep telling my brother to get out to the flats of the wave. The foil is under your back foot so when you think you're in the flats, you're really still stuck in the curve of the wave. He's still looking at it like a surfboard and sitting in the pocket without letting the foil run.

Transplant

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
Ah... I never would have thought of that - the foil being so far back relative to the rest of the board. Makes sense! Thanks!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »
I've never been there. Wrong side of LA for me. So I won't confirm or deny any foiling done there or what tides would work there.

It is a named spot though so maybe not the best to try and LEARN to foil.

Haha I just heard foiler's are getting the air let out of their tires there. :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
Yeah, no need to even try PV lol.

Transplant I’m totally where you are and I do the same as far as “drifting” lol. Success for me looks like slowly coming off foil in a straight line.

Hdip I also just sit my butt on the wave. I’ve been trying to pump out in front a bit but I suspect that turning down the line will also get me off the hump once I’m ready.

San O is a giant spot. Miles of break to foil as you head South. Enjoy and we have to get an LA foil meetup going soon as well as an OC/LA hang.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal