Author Topic: Ok, post up your prone foil gear  (Read 7353 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Ok, post up your prone foil gear
« on: July 19, 2020, 08:14:33 AM »
Hdip, I’m talking to you and the other closeted prone foilers.

Mine is fresh off the racks.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,36197.0.html

I’m stoked to see this. Hope other folks will show up here. The other forums are lightly attended. A lot could come from collecting info here.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ok, post up your prone foil gear
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
ok here you go. 5'6 x 22 45l. 

Not quite a closet prone foiler just a relative new one.  I learned on a SUP a year ago and got the itch to try prone.  I surfed most of my life and got into SUP for the foiling side of it.  I am around 14 or so sessions in on the prone.  Able to ride them in almost to beach, but not always able to nail my feet position.  On the ones where I get my feet right, it feels really good with such a small board. 

I just sold my sup and placed an order for a new one, so i only have this for now.  We shall see what my progress is when my new sup arrives.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »
Take pictures of an over 2 year old yellowed board? Nah. It's a WCFC 4'8" pretty sure everyone knows what those look like.

Sold my lift 200 classic and am on an Axis 900 now. It's working real nice. I desparately want to try the 760 though.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 09:07:11 PM »
Oh I just meant what you’re riding. I still can’t get over peoples dimensions being 4 foot something.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 11:25:17 PM »
4'8 @ 49L foilboard built by Tim Carroll
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWgZLIHAFt/

Takuma 1600 LOL

I'm currently around 215 lbs and the 1600 has tons of lift for me. If I was going to do it again I would have Tim try to set the boxes further back in the board. I have them as far back as they go right now.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 07:05:51 AM »
Exiled, Hdip, am I right that for prone you really want to delay the lift to allow yourself to pop up and get set? I placed my boxes as far back as I could just emulating others but wondering why this is the convention.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:10 AM »
It just has to be balanced. The delay you might see in the clips I've sent you is due to slow waves. The foil allows you to paddle in early like it's a longboard if you've lined everything up correctly. If I'm surfing faster or steeper waves like the beachbreaks up in oxtura there is no delay in the lift. It's still controlled though.

My brother is learning and I went with him for a session and after half the session made him move his mast back. He was getting up, but it was to much lift and he couldn't control it. After that he couldn't get the board unstuck from the water easy enough, so it was to far back. I take a tool with me in my wetsuit now so that I can play with position. Once you find the right position for the gear you have it doesn't really move though.

Move your mast forward or back on your next session. Since you say you're not really getting off the water, that seems to mean you need to move it forward. You know how to keep it down now, so move it a quarter or half inch forward and see what it does.

I had to move my Naish L forward to be able to start getting true flights when I was learning. Then I ended up with a position behind that when I understood it better. Forward more lift, back less lift. You can also do this by adjusting where you stand on the board.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
I'm riding a 5'10"x22" 40L Dwight board very similar to this:

Really nice construction and very lightweight.  I like that it has a tuttle box for the minimum drag while paddling, but I think it could be a little bit further back - next board will definitely get boxes for adjustment.  It is also quite a dog to paddle, but that's more the 40L and my 210# than the shape. 

I'm really liking what I see out of the FCD grasshopper as a next board (the 5'6" specifically).  I'm sure some will scoff at the length and volume, but I'm all about getting into soft waves early - and I'm pumping a big old SUP board right now, so pumping this will still be super easy in comparison.  For me prone board should be all about paddle speed for getting into the wave.
http://www.fcdsurfboards.com/grasshopper-foil-surfboard

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 09:29:02 AM »
Thought that i would share a couple of new recent toys.

Pertinent to this thread.  I upgraded or downsized from the 5'6 NSP board above to a 4'8 Kings below.  I had around 15 or so sessions on the 5'6 then found the Kings at Dave's shop.  Amazingly dropping length was not as bad as I thought.  Volume was about the same (45l), i am realizing that it is way too much liters for me at 165lb.  Oh well, i dont mind the extra float, maybe next year i will get a custom or find a lighter board.  Length wise i think i will stick to this.

Still a kook on both of these.  I can definitely see the potential of riding small boards.  Had some glides/pumps on the prone that felt very effortless plus didnt have to manage the swing weight of a larger board.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 07:11:43 AM »
4'6 x 18.5 x 2.8 - 32L
Signature Albatross 165

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 02:01:20 PM »
Decade long lurker, now finally registered, woo hoo!

I figure I'll start off with a "this is me" post.  Here's all my DIY boards, a couple surf, but all the rest foils.   My wife is stoked to do the art, so it's a family affair.   I always wanted to make a surfboard, but too intimidated.  But for foiling, the cost and rareness of new board pushed me over the edge into trying.  Been a lot of fun.

I am mostly transitioned now from sup foil to prone. My current main ride is 5' x 20" x 2.75" with a GoFoil setup ... Iwa mainly, Kai when bigger, Maliko200 when smaller. 

Also long-term kiter and kite foiler, still do that, but winging ate kite foiling's lunch last summer.  :-)

[PS I am juandesooka on the other forums...I recognize a few names here, maybe it's the same dozen frothing riders on all the forums LOL]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:11:42 PM by canada foiler »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »
Yo, glad to see both of you guys. Great foilers and contributors.

Been hoping some more prone guys would show up before I started lol.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 05:33:48 PM »
Custom 4’2 37L with Armstrong 1550HS and CF300 tail.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:33:42 AM »

I'm really liking what I see out of the FCD grasshopper as a next board (the 5'6" specifically).  I'm sure some will scoff at the length and volume, but I'm all about getting into soft waves early - and I'm pumping a big old SUP board right now, so pumping this will still be super easy in comparison.  For me prone board should be all about paddle speed for getting into the wave.
http://www.fcdsurfboards.com/grasshopper-foil-surfboard

Did you ever get an FCD and if so, how is it?   I am looking for my first prone foil board.  70kg but a very inexperienced prone paddler.  I was looking at the 6 ft FCD (60 L) to make my life a bit easier in the beginning.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
nope, I can't find any further information about it online other than the real-water-sports video review.  But I also haven't been proning at all.  Planning to get one if I can sell some wings.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM