Author Topic: Finally joined the club!  (Read 1785 times)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finally joined the club!
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:37 AM »
Been following this for over a year. Being a windsurfer, kiter, SUP'er and having added foil to all that, I told myself initially I wouldn't do another damn sport. However, the more I read the more I got swayed. Then once I decided I was all in, paralysis by analysis on which wing to get held me up for at least 2-3 months. Finally decided on the S25 and ordered at the beginning of May but then demand and no supply due to Covid held me up until now.

The 5.3 and 3.6 arrived on Wednesday (had already snagged Bill's 2.8 which arrived on Monday) and Thursday's forecast looked perfect for 5.3! Forecast came through at 15 - 20, rigged up and got everything together and headed out. I realized my helmet was in my jet ski so opened the hatch, the wing flopped up and onto the corner of it and unbelievably tore a hole in the leading edge and bladder before even getting to try it! Gutted.... Rigged the 3.6 and went out and puttered around.

Amazingly the next day it absolutely blasted at 35 in the morning. Wind was supposed to back off so took my time not wanting to get creamed. Rigged the 2.8 and had an awesome hour. Was able to get on foil right away (I have lots of towfoil and kitefoil experience) and blasted upwind. Got to the swelly section of our lake and finally realized a dream of turning down a 3-4' swell and just holding the wing overhead lightly feathering the back hand. Ran out of juice turned back across the swell pulled in the back hand and hunted down the next one. Awesome feeling! Even tried the one hander which was amazing until I tried to regrab the wing and had no idea what I was doing and fell in. Made one jibe attempt and had an awesome carve into it, let go of the back hand, still carving, but again no idea what to do to regrab  so fell inside. Definitely stoked me up and took a lot of the sting off of tearing my 5.3.

I want to thank Dwight (great video instruction), Bill, Admin, OBX Dave (awesome video inspiration), and recently Clay (adding to his already impressive video catalog), as well as so many others who have contributed their stoke, enthusiasm, insight, feedback, and advice to the forum. I appreciate greatly helping me get into another damn sport. Ha ha!

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Finally joined the club!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:16:57 AM »

The 5.3 and 3.6 arrived on Wednesday (had already snagged Bill's 2.8 which arrived on Monday)

Hah, that's where MY 2.8 went ;D You probably did me favor, the 5.3 and 3.6 pretty much have me covered.

Sounds like you're well on your way, wing is really just another way to drive a foil. Does take a little time to figure out the hand fumbling though. Enjoy the learning process :)

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »

Hah, that's where MY 2.8 went ;D You probably did me favor, the 5.3 and 3.6 pretty much have me covered.

Yes. I felt a bit bad as it would get way more use out there, but after yesterday I don't feel so bad.  ;D Plus I hope to ride it on Lake Ontario and Quebec City where they get huge swells as soon as they open the damn border!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
Stoked Suplodami,

You sound like you are doing great.  We tore a canopy (stabilizer) on our first day as well!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 10:00:08 AM »
Been following this for over a year. Being a windsurfer, kiter, SUP'er and having added foil to all that, I told myself initially I wouldn't do another damn sport. However, the more I read the more I got swayed. Then ...... I appreciate greatly helping me get into another damn sport. Ha ha!

Great report.  I read your advice to me and did a double take: 1 Session!!!!

This is probably super discouraging to some who are starting with NO Wind experience or Foil experience.  You have to learn a bunch at once.

However this is consistent with my business partners advice who was a 35 year advance windsurfer (waves and racing) and 20 year kiter and 10 year Kite foiler (if that's possible).  He said "You will get this right away!"

PS: I took your recommendation and got out in the boat this morning.  Little 5 HP and I said "I am learning all over again."  Only went regular foot.  Might take a few more boat sessions but made quick progress in ~ 10 minutes of water time. 

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »
Welcome to the addiction :)...Wow, you sure have done everything with a foil. .You’d think with all the other foiling disciplines wing foiling would just be this small so-so niche but it grabs you in and takes control (of your credit card! ::) ). Sounds like a great first session.   I suspect you and Beasho will join FlKiter (Nick) as the wing masters here in short order. Keep us posted on all the progress.

Bummer on the wing mishap, but repairing this stuff is all part of wonderful fun.   Well, not really.  I do recall leaving a tail gate open and depositing a kite onto a busy street once. That was particularly brilliant.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:46:36 PM by obxDave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal