Author Topic: Advanced Beginner Advice  (Read 8894 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Beginner Advice
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2020, 07:07:30 AM »
Not quite SupTheCreek quality solo shot but this was TimeLapse Fishers Island Sound.

1st Half Session #3 on the wing.  Blowing 15 to 25 mph.  Slingshot V2 6.4 and GoFoil GL210 with Easy Foiler 6' 6" board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ann1eLk6H1o
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:09:16 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
I was flying high then CRUSHED!

3rd reach.  3/4 mile out and I catch the edge of sail.  Fly into and land on wing.  All was good.  Looked around nothing wrong.  So I roll off the wing and my board is upside down.  Wind catches wing it flies into air and hits board / rig upside down Kaboom.  💣

Always be sure to have the exit plan.  Fortunately the tide was ebbing INTO the wind.  I might have washed up a couple miles away but was able to swim back to the starting point. 

Rookie Move!!!!!

When the board flips over --> GET THE FOIL UNDERWATER FAST!!!!!

Who fixes these?  I suspect 1) New Bladder 2) Send to Big Winds for repair (???)

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 02:15:26 PM »
Yup! Almost same thing happened to me yesterday. Fell, came to surface, saw my board upside down next to wing, and before I could do anything watched it tip over onto wing. Stab through the wing, then a wind gust lifted the wing so the other side of stab could make another hole....

Currently looking for someone on Oahu who does repairs. It's a little more than my caveman handiwork can fix.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »
https://fixmykite.com/

Jeff Howard in Corpus.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2020, 08:34:27 PM »
I've had wings repaired by Airtime in Hood River and Northshore Kite Repair in Maui. Both places do first-rate work.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 01:39:22 PM »
https://fixmykite.com/
Jeff Howard in Corpus.

Just spoke with Richard and sent out my Wing. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »
Wind picked up.  I was on the backup wing.  5.0 Duotone.

Planned out the session.  This means doing calculations on wind, current and WTF can go wrong.

Things almost went very wrong.   I had to self rescue when the current was dragging me East and then the wind shifted from Westerly to Northwest and started blowing me towards Rhode Island. 

1 - Sailed to the South
2- Pointed North, wind shifted North West
3- Very Quick puff meant I could point up and hit the Morgan Point Lighthouse.  Thanks to Jesus
4- I paddeld laying on the board for 3/4 of a mile upwind for 45 minutes to Esker point
5- I ran home in bare-feet for 1.3 miles

Arse kicked licking wounds

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:56:12 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:21 PM »
If I hadn't hit the Morgan Point Lighthouse I would have gone across the Mystic River to Enders Island.  Doesn't look far but it would have been a 9 mile loop (in Purple) to get back home.  My iWatch was NOT yet activated.  Lesson learned.

More on that next.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
After the self rescue I needed a little bit of recovery.  So I packed up my gear, on my bicycle, and peddled to the other side of the point.  To hide from the current.

Successful Dry hair Session.  With the boom and the Duotone managed to jibe without falling in (ever, not once). 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:04 PM »
Then this.  One week later.  Windy day 15 to 22 (maybe 25)

16.9 miles on the foil. I am feeling comfortable on Regular Foot sailing port tack.  6.4 Slingshot v2 WITH A HARNESS (Than you DW).  GoFoil Maliko 200.  Big Slow Wing.   

Wing blowing Southeast.  Switching feet.  The only time I go "Toeside" is when jibing and not switching my feet.  Toe-Side is ridiculous.  Utterly insane.  I could see 'maybe' going toeside with the sail fully luffed when riding a wave.  Otherwise in flat water TOTALLY INEFFICIENT.  Learn how to switch your feet.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 08:28:41 PM by Beasho »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 09:09:22 PM »
A few miles on foil is pretty crazy man. These are the numbers I’m looking for.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »

I am feeling comfortable on Regular Foot sailing port tack.     

Switching feet.  The only time I go "Toeside" is when jibing and not switching my feet.  Toe-Side is ridiculous.  Utterly insane.  I could see 'maybe' going toeside with the sail fully luffed when riding a wave.  Otherwise in flat water TOTALLY INEFFICIENT.  Learn how to switch your feet.

Wow great progress, that's a lot of miles early on, super!

Did you hear what we witnessed out at the point last week?  They were all riding toeside.

Does anyone foil waves and switch feet?

Yes, switching feet is great, I wish I was better at it.

AND we bought wings to ride waves.  Unless it's a long backhand no cutback point break need to ride toeside to foil waves,  Much easier to learn toeside in flat water...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
[quote author=Beasho link=topic=36274.msg421003#msg421003 da
Did you hear what we witnessed out at the point last week?  They were all riding toeside.

Does anyone foil waves and switch feet?

Yes!   Your customer Westendorf reported wings flying in harmony on the point for the first time Evah!

Really cool. 

And Yes I will be switching feet. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:47:11 PM by Beasho »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »

16.9 miles on the foil. I am feeling comfortable on Regular Foot sailing port tack.  6.4 Slingshot v2 WITH A HARNESS (Than you DW).  GoFoil Maliko 200.  Big Slow Wing.   

Wing blowing Southeast.  Switching feet.  The only time I go "Toeside" is when jibing and not switching my feet.  Toe-Side is ridiculous.  Utterly insane.  I could see 'maybe' going toeside with the sail fully luffed when riding a wave.  Otherwise in flat water TOTALLY INEFFICIENT.  Learn how to switch your feet.

Great progress!

I have this practice thing where I’ll switch feet every 10 sec on a given tack (around 5 times in quick succession), in choppy water on an 75cm mast,....maintaining a pretty high point of sail (pinched upwind) the whole time, or slightly more broad reach with more speed. You actually can do ok with toeside efficiency when needed.  When you start tacking, especially heel-to-toeside, you’ll definitely appreciate having that toeside riding efficiency already mastered!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:08:50 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 02:21:30 AM »
Toe-Side is ridiculous.  Utterly insane.  I could see 'maybe' going toeside with the sail fully luffed when riding a wave.  Otherwise in flat water TOTALLY INEFFICIENT.

You will end up finding toeside super efficient, even in very light wind.  These foils are ridiculous in what points of sail they will allow compared to windsurfing for instance.  Even if you were riding toeside on both reaches you could stay much higher than you needed to for any wave spot.  For sub foiling conditions, up and down or touring you definitely want to know how to ride heelside as well. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal