Author Topic: F-one Rocket Wing V2  (Read 4408 times)

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
F-one Rocket Wing V2
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:34:54 PM »
Anyone seen or have opinions on the new wider Rocket V2? I searched for reviews as well as comments and can't find anything. I would like to get one in 6' x 30" 105L (13.6 lb) or 5'-10" x 28 120L (15.2 lb) Looks like a nice wide stable shape with great volume for length.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F-one Rocket Wing V2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:31:16 AM »
As far as I know, it is the same board as the V1, but with different sizes.  More of the volume is in the width with the V2 which I think is an improvement.  I have a V1 which I have been happy with.  Note lack of strap inserts.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
As far as I know, it is the same board as the V1, but with different sizes.  More of the volume is in the width with the V2 which I think is an improvement.  I have a V1 which I have been happy with.  Note lack of strap inserts.

The width and volume is what attracted me. No straps is ok. Makes it lighter and don't plan to use them. Mellower beveled rails look good compromise for more stability. Same as V1?

Axis foil which I need before a board is backordered so going to hold off buying now. Hope to get some more feedback about Rocket. Also wonder if there is going to be a lot of new wing board options coming out.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »
I have a V1 which I have been happy with.

Phils that is pretty much the only positive review I have been able to find on the Rocket. I would have thought when the original Rocket came out there would have been more comments/reviews as one of the 1st production wing boards released. Not to mention how ahead of the curve F-one was with their wing design. Was this design written off for not having footstraps or are F-one just not quality boards?

There is a V2 5'-10 which is available that I could have in a week, so it is still on my short list. What I like about this board:
I find the outline of this board very attractive compared to other boxy shapes (kinda superficial but the nice lines don't compromise volume)
Great volume, size and weight, 5'-10" x 28 105L, 13.64 LB
Flat bottom with mellow bevel rails and mellow kick in tail. Looks like a nice compromise between stability and release. I'm just judging based on pictures so I could be mistaken.
Availability.

Concerns:
Bamboo construction quality and accuracy of listed weight
High price. For same price Axis Froth is PVC wrap carbon construction.
Side profile looks like volume is more in middle of board which creates some rocker in tail area which would effect angle of foil.
Lack of positive reviews.

I'm inclined to past on the Rocket based on above concerned. Thoughts, comments please!!

The other 2 boards I'm considering Naish Wing carbon ultra and Axis Froth are both currently unavailable until later in August. Have a fairly short summer season in Tahoe so a fairly big factor.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
There are so few wing boards available now that I'm not even looking at brand or construction--just trying to get something that's the right size. Yes, that's stupid, but it's summer, the wind is blowing, and my board is too big--though I do love the thing.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:08:43 AM »
I'm actually suprised how long those boards are for their respective volumes. My 5'4" custom from Delta Hydrofoil is 110 L. Perfect size for my 110 kg :-/ but challenging in chop/swell for knee starting. You would love a smaller board Pono.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »
I have a V1 which I have been happy with.

Phils that is pretty much the only positive review I have been able to find on the Rocket. I would have thought when the original Rocket came out there would have been more comments/reviews as one of the 1st production wing boards released. Not to mention how ahead of the curve F-one was with their wing design. Was this design written off for not having footstraps or are F-one just not quality boards?

There is a V2 5'-10 which is available that I could have in a week, so it is still on my short list. What I like about this board:
I find the outline of this board very attractive compared to other boxy shapes (kinda superficial but the nice lines don't compromise volume)
Great volume, size and weight, 5'-10" x 28 105L, 13.64 LB
Flat bottom with mellow bevel rails and mellow kick in tail. Looks like a nice compromise between stability and release. I'm just judging based on pictures so I could be mistaken.
Availability.

Concerns:
Bamboo construction quality and accuracy of listed weight
High price. For same price Axis Froth is PVC wrap carbon construction.
Side profile looks like volume is more in middle of board which creates some rocker in tail area which would effect angle of foil.
Lack of positive reviews.

I'm inclined to past on the Rocket based on above concerned. Thoughts, comments please!!

The other 2 boards I'm considering Naish Wing carbon ultra and Axis Froth are both currently unavailable until later in August. Have a fairly short summer season in Tahoe so a fairly big factor.
I don't think the shape of the Fone should worry you.  It works really well.  Your concerns on the build are reasonable.  Probably a bit less robust than some others but a bit lighter.  If you are pretty careful with your equipment, it should not be a problem.  If you want something much more durable, the Fanatic may be the better choice.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 03:55:33 PM »
I had a chance to buy a new Fanatic Sky Wing today so I grabbed it. I expected it would be a challenge since it's 5'4" X 26 and 95L. At my weight, it's a sinker, but once our guests leave I should be taking off a few more pounds. I tried it today and it's hopeless--I fell off it in every possible way. I'll make some training wheels for it and see if I can get it to go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 04:08:28 PM »
I had a chance to buy a new Fanatic Sky Wing today so I grabbed it. I expected it would be a challenge since it's 5'4" X 26 and 95L. At my weight, it's a sinker, but once our guests leave I should be taking off a few more pounds. I tried it today and it's hopeless--I fell off it in every possible way. I'll make some training wheels for it and see if I can get it to go.

Put an outrigger on it. :) I like the new wing board category but I'm sizing for stand up options. Those Fanatics are too small for beginner like me. Might as well just use the wake foil board, I'll have about the same chance of getting up. lol. I tried to stand on it submerged but not even close.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 04:15:16 PM »
I don't think the shape of the Fone should worry you.  It works really well.  Your concerns on the build are reasonable.  Probably a bit less robust than some others but a bit lighter.  If you are pretty careful with your equipment, it should not be a problem.  If you want something much more durable, the Fanatic may be the better choice.

Rather have it light than durable if I have to chose. Both would be nice. Thanks for the reassurance on the profile not being a problem.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »

That’s like me on Jacky’s board....I can do it, but no friggin way it could be my board. Imagine being tired, mid session, and not be able to mount your own board. Ha...I’d be gassed and stuck off shore.

110 liters for 225 lbs. I’ve got a customer that weight riding 110 liters in Woods Hole.

You’ve got 200 liters of wingding volume. Use it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:40:12 PM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 01:50:10 AM »
Bill, what is the volume on your Dutchman?

I admire the guys who can kneestart at volumes way below their weights but for myself I am thinking that a small kneestart board will be my weight in Kg (80 liters or so) or a little above.  I tried an 85 and it was fine.  75 is possible but it is too much of a struggle.  It is a lot of work in torn up water.  Missed kneestarts are exhausting.  For me the pain to gain of those 10 liters, 2 inches, and a pound was too high.  I definitely want a lighter board.  I picked up a friends Infinity which is a little larger than my board and it was a feather in comparison.  That would be cool even at my current volume. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:16:51 AM by Admin »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 05:38:14 AM »
Board sizing is a fascinating topic that can keep me mentally and physically engaged for a long time.  Some random thoughts.

It does become a reverse arms race, but once past the very beginner stage, I think it is important to use a board that feels a bit uncomfortable on the surface as one’s skills develop.  I’m terrible on the surface, either kneeling or riding and always on the verge of falling off, but that forces me to learn to move quickly for starts, pump up on foil and stay on foil during transitions.   I see friends stay too long on their bigger boards and become too comfortable on the surface which slows down their foiling progression. 

DWF makes an important observation on another Topic that the foil makes a noticeable difference as far as ease of knee starts. (Likely related to drag and board speed)  Makes sense, and something I am paying more attention to.

There is a comment above about training wheels. Not sure how well it works but there is someone on FB who straps a small boogie board on top of a foil board for extra volume. 

After looking at the offerings of several big name custom builders, I am going with a DWF board.  Under 5 feet and around 11.5 pounds.  Innegra and carbon fiber by a master builder.  So excited to pump that board. 

I think knee starting a small board is harder on the River than other places due to the fresh water and wacky current which can really push your foil around.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 09:46:10 AM »

I admire the guys who can kneestart at volumes way below their weights but for myself I am thinking that a small kneestart board will be my weight in Kg (80 liters or so) or a little above.

Board sizing is a fascinating topic that can keep me mentally and physically engaged for a long time.

It does become a reverse arms race, but once past the very beginner stage, I think it is important to use a board that feels a bit uncomfortable on the surface as one’s skills develop.

Sizing to be a bit uncomfortable is interesting. As a beginner comfort sounds appealing but I still want to go as small as possible for performance without restricting progression from a beginner stage. Fone size recommendations for a beginner of +40 sounds right. That puts me on a 6' 120L. Stable for learning and a progressive size for sup if I advance to smaller knee start sizing.

Naish size recommendations seem wack to me. I'm leaning toward getting the wing carbon ultra over the Rocket. The 5'10" 110 L might provide that little bit of uncomfortable sizing. Maybe won't need to size down later (or for quite a while) but hope I don't miss the sweet spot to also use for sup in waves.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal