Author Topic: Custom Torx Tool for in water foil adjustments  (Read 2225 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Custom Torx Tool for in water foil adjustments
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
Ok so sometimes there's just not the perfect tool for what you need.

Problem: Need to adjust your foil in cool water. No trunks, no pockets. Also, not stabbing yourself is a bonus feature.

Solution, use your overflow resin bucket to cut a handle out. Square and flat, so it fits in the chest zip section of your wetsuit (lies flat, not like a screwdriver), is easy to get grip on (round sucks when wet) and is short enough to not kill you even if it did somehow overcome physics to stab you.

Inspired by Josh Martin (Terry's son, look him up on Instagram, great feed!) I wanted to make an artful tool that was connected to surfing and board building. Note that the blue resin is actually from the board that I'll be adjusting the foil on.

Shots are:

1-3 cutting out the chunk from 3-4 years of resin catchment with a multi-tool

4-5 drilling the hole for the Torx Bit

6-7 the Bosch Torx Bit fitting in. Drilled a little deep, so had to put a 1/4" piece of wood dowel in to set the depth right

8-9 neon green resin mixed with some Q-cell and glass fibers for strength to hold the bit (Note that this is rough sanded to 220 grit now)

10-11 finished piece, wet sanded to 600 grit and drilled for lanyard.

I'll try both a bungee keeper and maybe an EVA piece to make a float and see which I like. EVA feels likely if a piece that fits in my wetsuit chest zip area is small enough to not bother me. Otherwise I'll tether it to my key keeper with a piece of small bungee.

I have another bit so I'll probably cut another piece from another block I have that's got weirder colors and maybe shape it a bit more too. Fun project, probably 30-45 minutes total, in 15 minute sessions after work. Perfect, low hassle, high output make. Next one will be 20 minutes I'll bet now that design decisions are made.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:51:38 PM by surfcowboy »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Torx Tool for in water foil adjustments
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
Nice. I made one by welding a T30 at right angles to a T40, but I like the square handle. I'll add that to mine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Dope! I’d buy one!
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »
Nicely done! I need to start a new container. Most times these says I just find a divot in the concrete of the garage floor and have at it. The trick is not to step in it afterwards, ask me how I know...

I did the knob for the gearshift of my rat-rod RV using a small plastic bottle for the basic shape.

I also tried doing the thing where you start with an incandescent (remember those?) light bulb, break out the phenolic and take out the internals, and fill it up with resin to make a knob for a planer like the gorgeous ones Tom Mahady used to make. He was also ahead of his time using LED lights in his shaping bay.

I did not use mold release and the glass did not come off very good and some is still stuck years later...maybe the plastic shells on the newer LED ones would work better for epoxy or glass with PE resin.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 07:04:18 AM »
Ok Jrandy, 2 things. First that knob is nice. That’s what Josh does a lot of as well as really cool chopsticks.

Second, um, rat rod RV? Why am I just now hearing of this?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »
Ok Jrandy, 2 things. First that knob is nice. That’s what Josh does a lot of as well as really cool chopsticks.

Second, um, rat rod RV? Why am I just now hearing of this?

LOL because it is more 'rat' than 'rod'...

Previous owners used it a a festival camper and neglected the butyl around the windows, etc so there is lots of rotted framing. It is the paneling/styrfofoam/2x2/plywood/metal skin type construction. I am stuck between wanting to fix it and wanting to get rid of it The motor runs really nice, all appliances work except water heater, currently redoing the carb on the generator.  Flor is weak, carpet is old, brakes are out, front window is redone but not installed, does not have modern rims... I am trying to suss together the brakes at link below along with a promo pic, think early 70's Winne Chieftain and you'd be really close:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=15416.0

If I were to do this again I'd go for something with more metal or fiberglass in the superstructure.

Again, great job on the resin handle for the Torx.  Upcycling at its finest...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Cowboy,  I could not tell where those first coupla pictures were leading to!  But, c'hit, that's high art!  There's probably a ton of Fugly stuff than can get polished up for such a useful purpose.  Not only easier to store, but I also bet the torque is better than with a round handle.  Excellent.

JR, Good for you! There are two notable, similar hooches in our area:  one sits lonely in a bean field painted Camo ...and another took the name 'TONKA TOY'.  I have never seen it stationary, but they clearly took a short 'Bago and plunked it on a dualie chassis of some sort.  It sits tall and they take on the sand at our Federal park for surf fishing and getting away from the tourists. I have seen it a lot over the years. ' Can't miss it!

I got a simple '02, 27' Sightseer on a Workhorse chassis.  It 'had' to have a real bed for me.  My wife wanted something fancier but you can easily spend north of $140k for a star in the grill (I got Maserati badges for mine) and still have to sleep on the bench where you just farted.   Fun stuff....

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
Wetstuff, tell your wife I said she’s a lucky woman if you don’t fart in bed.  Do not broach this subject with mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal