Author Topic: How youse lay down the non-skid?  (Read 1937 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
How youse lay down the non-skid?
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:46:10 PM »
My local shaper will be done soon with a wing-board.  I love the idea of a 'ridgeline' down the center you could feel without looking down. In the old days when you had something sticky - you slip-sheet it with waxed paper...  'Spray the deck with water?

How the hell do you layout this stuff?!  Would I put in the ridge material down first? Then start the spread from back-to-front?   

O'Boy!  I need some advice.  (I have done little stripes, etc..) 

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How youse lay down the non-skid?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
1. Youse folds over the release paper to make a small starter strip, maybe 1" wide [2.5cm]

2. Youse align the piece of traction to a mark and tack the starter strip. If good press it down hard

3. Youse bend the traction up (a) and grab the inside edge of the release paper (b), it seems like the wrong way but works

4. Youse pulls away a little release paper (a) and tack it to the board (b). Press it down, repeat until done. Use a rubber roller/brayer if you have one to push out air bubbles.

This is the technique from my day job for attaching stuff with pressure sensitive adhesive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:22:52 PM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:20:06 PM »
I'd put the build-up for the ridge down first and make sure it tapers to the board so the traction lays easier.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
If you check my build threads I put down some old strips of material that I had. But you could cut pieces of yours if you wanted. I did 2 layers on my SUP under the pad and I staggered them making the bottom one bigger and the top one smaller. That still wasn’t perfect like jrandy says but it was ok. Someday it might break but hopefully not for years. If you had some eva like L200 or something you could cut and sand a nice one.

On my prone board I did one layer (maybe 3-4mm) and it feels fine so maybe just one layer is cool. I wanted my SUP obvious lol.

Sanding is the key to smooth foam. You can cut it but then if you sand it it’s perfect. Don't sand where you can hit paint but for example if you cut out for a handle, sand it to a bevel after you cut it. Really sweet nice touch that I usually don’t have the patience for lol.

That’s the benefit of someone else making your board, when it’s done you’re just getting started so you can tweak out!!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:42:39 PM »
Cork Hexatraction. I've been playing with the stuff. You can do magic with it and it weighs nothing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 06:23:50 AM »
JR,  That makes perfect sense. Thanks. I have a couple of veneer rollers that I used maybe 30yrs ago adding walnut, etc. to cheap plywood. (Never throw away a good tool!)

Cowboy... Ya, I always stare at those factory deck jobs from Sunova and the like... "Hmmm, how they do that?"  They must have a template and do the bevels ahead to get the edges so nice without grinding the deck. Inserts for footstraps, etc. ...those tiny holes ...maybe a Dremel tip with tapered grit? I have tons of hole punches but am not about to whack the deck.

Bill, Cork sounds great, but I am a bit of a cripple and need both traction and cushion.  The Atlantis longboard I have has a full pad, but quite thin (I imagine to save weight). I am not as surefooted on it as other pads. 

I did a walkaround of the stuff here and found BluePlanet, Sunova (they use it as packing material. Thanks!) and a BB-patterned, pre-made longboard package all were 4mil.  The China stuff in the photo is 5mil.  I even had some left from making a kiteboard long ago from somewhere in the NW that was 9mil. ..' had a 3mil soft backer. 

I may try a test of the 'mist and squeege' method on something small.  I'll report back.  Thanks all. 

Jim

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:58:02 PM »
Check out Hood River's NSI deckpad material:

https://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=28

"Dual Density. This option features 1/8" 5# EVA laminated under the ¼" waffle material. For easy installation on smooth and clean surfaces take advantage of our premium 3M® Peel And Stick Adhesive (PSA) option."

If my math is correct that's 9.5 mm for your knees...  But it sounds like you have some 9mm? 

But for the ridgeline ... Inland Surfer sells cool little raised arch bars (for its wake surf boards, like the youts use). Minimalist. You could run those lengthwise for your ridgeline.

https://www.inlandsurfer.com/store/inland-surfer-traction-pads-7wfza-pjb46
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:09:58 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »
Ya, Dusky... NSI is an old supplier to me of straps and decking when I made some kiteboards and modded others.  'Have not visited them for many years; I should look again.

I remember using (I think...) an old trick of applying other self-adhesive things like vinyl lettering and thicker films - water.  This time I used the bottom of an old BIC sailboard I got to learn-to-wing with. (I find it better on a regular SUP). Rather than just water, I assumed glass cleaner would evaporate more quickly.  It worked ..with a qualifier.

With film, you can see the moisture easily and 'push' it out.  I used an old roller but misplaced my 2-handed one and did not feel as if I was pushing the liquid out the edges as well as expected.  After 24hrs, the section I used stuck pretty well, but I'd bet it would have been better had I not acted like a 6yr old just returning from Baskin and Robbins and left it for 48hrs.

Jim 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal