Author Topic: Naish Hover Wing Ultra Foilboard  (Read 7644 times)

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Hover Wing Ultra Foilboard
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:43:01 PM »
Ode to the CoViD-pocolypse and one of our first world problems -> where's the gear?

Fanatic Sky Wing looks fabulous, has stellar reviews, competitively priced at (gulp) $1200 which includes foot straps, but good luck finding one!

Naish Wing/SUP Ultra Foilboard quickly popped in and out of shops across the country. BigWinds in Hood River had a few that sold out upon delivery, they didn't have the size I'm looking for and no plans to get one. There are some sizes available at Green Hat Kiteboarding. (I heard a rumor: Fanatic Sky Wing may not be in stock again until the winter wind blows.)

I haven't found a review or video or anything other than the product write-up on dealer sites. This thing doesn't even show up on any of Naish's dozen or so websites. Those Maui folks definitely have experience so hopefully they did a good job designing this thing.

Anyone here have one, seen/heard a review, have anything to say about this design?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Hover Wing Ultra Foilboard
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:22:38 PM »
The only thing I can say about it is that's what Robby uses. I like buying boards from people who are actually doing the sport. Mrk Raaphorst rips on his Flying Dutchman boards, as does Dave Kalama--leading edge all the way. Robby was out on a wing pretty much every time I went all last winter, and I went every day. You can call Mark or Dave and order a custom board--PM me if you need their number. Robby doesn't do custom, but there's no question that these boards are the best he can make them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 03:34:48 AM »
I don’t know much about the Naish board but I got into the sport not that long ago and did a deep look at foil boards.  Ones I liked and are likely currently available include Armstrong, Jimmy Lewis and FOne (only strapless). Custom, I would consider Brian Camet (3 weeks), Kalama (month to 2)? and supSURFmachines (very well made boards).

Trough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »
Hello everyone, first post

Picked up my 85l yesterday.

It has a really nice progressive shape in all directions with a lot of rocker, which concentrates the center of mass right where it needs to be, visually speaking

But what do I know I haven't ridden it yet

I had my eyes on the Fanatic but even without their delivery issues there aren't enough volumes

For me to get the volume I need I would have had to have paid a 3.5 lb penalty on The Fanatic.

3.5 lbs.

Board shapes are consolidating for the most part - just get one and ride it

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
Sweet looking board. Let us know how it rides Trough.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Those new Naish S25 Hovers are available here in Oz now and a couple of my friends picked up theirs last week.. They look great.. I like the new front footstrap options and the handle in the bottom is also new.. I decided to order a new 125 and it’s due next month (August).. The new S25 Foils are also slightly improved and noticeably lighter and stiffer.. I have been using the new HA 1800 for a while now and I love it.. The other day I bought the new HA 1400 and I can’t wait to try it.. I also bought the new wider/stiffer/lighter mast in the 85cm length.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:29:34 PM by DavidJohn »

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 12:39:45 AM »
Took a leap of faith and pulled that trigger! In spite of Naish’s 40L or 50L recommendation for my weight (60kg), I went with 60L. Chose to go up in volume out of respect for the great fan which occasionally switches off right in the middle of a good time, right in the middle of the Columbia River.

This will be stepping down from 95L board, I expect some struggling for a session or two. Will give progress updates in case anyone is interested in first impressions and progressions.

Board arrives Wednesday. Apologies local shops, I really wanted to give you my business but the season is now and I don’t have patience to wait another month or more.

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:18:56 PM »
Ok - I got the 4'10" x 60 liter Naish Hover Wing Ultra Foilboard 2 days ago. Am officially totally exhausted after 2 consecutive days on it. Admittedly, this drastic step-down in size, coming from 7' x 95L board is premature and if I were to ride the time-machine back to last week, I'd think harder about going with 5' x 75L.

There are significant challenges to this step-down: stabilizing in knee-start position, the board sags in the water quite a bit, and I'm just a wee beginner having been on wing foil just 3 previous sessions.

Though I am quite pleased with this board, I'm admittedly not qualified to provide a reasonable review since I'm so new to the sport, have had the board for all of 2 days, and don't have another similar board to compare it to. However, since there are NO reviews out there yet, here's some feedback: Seems to be really well made, strong, insanely light and smart. There are hand-inserts on top and bottom, which ought be standard for all wing/sup foil boards. I really like the feel of the slightly concave deck and though barely noticeable, it is just enough to help with corrections. I don't use footstraps (yet) but there are threads for many configurations. It is buoyant enough for me to prone paddle when needed, and I'll probably prone surf it as well. I love that this thing easily fits into my wife's little Mazda 3.

I am qualified to give first ride impressions:
That first ride yesterday took an hour of tossing, turning, nose-sinking and wheelie popping before I could make sense of and stabilize enough to kneel and get the wing into position. It was tricky to get planing and onto my feet, duh. I really had to earn it, but when I finally got up on foil...this thing rides like a dream! So light. So maneuverable. Just the ride I am looking for.

In the almost 4 hours on the water I probably learned 120 micro adjustment tricks, which is probably average for anyone learning these complex coordination routines. I logged 11 miles today :-). It's worth the exhaustion. It's a real good board. Go bigger than the specs tell ya.

Aloha!

PS - Naish posted a video 2 days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjH-_9QAxr0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:21:27 PM by maiz »

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 03:59:18 AM »
Sounds like with some more time it will work out really well for you.  Have you weighed it yourself?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 04:59:16 AM »
Maiz,

You are doing great.  22.5 inches wide is narrow for a kneestart board.  Very cool to see Naish going all of those sizes.  I do wish that they would separate SUP and Wing though.  It is really two very different design needs.

Hover Wing/SUP 40   4'4" / 132.1 cm   21" / 53.3 cm   3 1/10" / 7.9 cm   40 L
Hover Wing/SUP 50   4'6" / 137.2 cm   21 1/2" / 54.6 cm   3 3/5" / 9.1 cm   50 L
Hover Wing/SUP 60   4'10" / 147.3 cm   22 1/2" / 57.2 cm   3 4/5" / 9.7 cm   60 L
Hover Wing/SUP 75   5'0" / 152.4 cm   24" / 61 cm   4 1/5" / 10.7 cm   75 L
Hover Wing/SUP 85   5'2" / 157.5 cm   26" / 66 cm   4 3/10" / 10.9 cm   85 L
Hover Wing/SUP 95   5'7" / 170.2 cm   27 1/2" / 69.9 cm   4 1/5" / 10.7 cm   95 L
Hover Wing/SUP 110   5'10" / 177.8 cm   29" / 73.7 cm   4 3/10" / 10.9 cm   110 L
Hover Wing/SUP 125   6'4" / 193 cm   31" / 78.7 cm   4 2/5" / 11.2 cm   125 L
Hover Wing/SUP 140   6'6" / 198 cm   33" / 84 cm   4 3/5" / 11.7 cm   140 L

40 is ideal for riders up to 154 lbs/70 kg
50 is ideal for riders up to 165 lbs/75 kg
60 is ideal for riders up to 176 lbs/80 kg
75 is ideal for riders up to 187 lbs/85kg
85 is ideal for riders up to 209 lbs/95 kg
95 is ideal for riders up to 220 lbs/100 kg
110 is ideal for riders up to 231 lbs/105 kg
125 is ideal for riders up to 254 lbs/115 kg
140 is ideal for riders 276 lbs+/125 kg+

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 07:21:14 AM »
Wow, Rob's recommendations for volume to weight seem incredibly optimistic. Interestingly in the smaller sizes it's weight - 30 but goes almost to dead even for bigger folks. Even with my 100L board which is about +10 for me, balancing in the big stuff is a challenge, especially later in a session. Unfortunately I'm told watching me knee start is what's kinda turning potential converts off the sport. I want that volume though for paddling in if necessary and taking breaks. Dropping another 2-3# and 10" is probably not going to make enough difference for downwinding in 40+ but I am curious what it might feel like.

Trough

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
Robby likes to name things after phrases he has thought of and I understand why he does so.
That's fine.

I was initially skeptical of lumping wing and sup boards under one rubric but having stared at the 85l on my couch for the last week ( currently foil-less ) it looks exactly like a squashed sup foil.  The longer shapes just lengthen the sweet spot.  Without foil and wing the balance point is about the size of a half dollar on mine giving it a very low polar moment.

It floats my 72kg well with the tail getting a little wet.

I'm told someone recommended Naish adjust their literature to reflect MAX recommended weights, not IDEAL.  Obviously nobody proof read the published specs.  Those initial recommendations apparently were changed to those referenced above, which are still about as clear as mud.

I like the way fanatic and F fone do it: +10l if you have aspirations and are willing to work at it.  Otherwise adjust accordingly.

Mine weighs a little over 12.

Nice job maiz
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:37:52 PM by Trough »

maiz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:00:53 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement. There could be improvements for board size recommendations based on weight and abilities, a matrix if you will.

The 60L weighs just over 8 lbs. My foil setup weighs just over 15 lbs -> Slingshot Infinity 76, 90cm mast. I wonder how different it would be with carbon mast and fuselage. That's another conversation I'd like to have, for another thread, for another day.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 04:25:01 PM »
I’m 100kgs (220 lbs) and I currently have the 2020 125 ltr Hover.
I just ordered the new 2021 Hover and although I could easily go with the 110 or even the 95ltr board I’ve decided to go with another big 125.

We go a long way out from the shore into the bay and often get unexpected wind drop-outs leaving us with a long slog back to shore and there’s nothing worse than sinking and struggling to balance all the way back in.

I can see the attraction of the smaller boards but at my age (63) I would rather sacrifice some of that attraction of a smaller/lighter board for more stability and comfort because the ‘easy’ and ‘comfortable’ option is better for me than the ‘harder and frustrating’ option.

One day I might get a second board that’s smaller for those perfect constant wind days but while I only have one board the slightly bigger board is better IMO.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
I'm thinking the 110 would be just right for me. I'm tempted to just build one for myself, but i have a lot of projects going and I know i'd drop everything and just work on this.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal