Author Topic: Progressing from wake foiling to downwind and winging  (Read 6903 times)

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Progressing from wake foiling to downwind and winging
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
My wife said to get the carbon. She's always right. :)

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »
Backordered on Axis 920 and 400 for 3-4 weeks (plus shipping). Carbon mast is months out but fine with aluminum. Wonder if carbon will be redesigned? Gong got back to me after 2 weeks with shipping quote. $1100 US total. Until they have a better rep for shipping to US don't think I'll take the chance. Axis w al mast is only a few hundred more so I'll just wait and see.

That will put a hold on plan for progression for this year. I'll still get new foil to work on downwinding off boat but No sense buying new board and wing that late in season. With the way winging is progressing would rather see whats new next spring. Rocket V2 and new Axis boards both look very nice tho.

Thanks for the advice and comments. Learned a lot in a short time.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 01:47:19 PM »
Couldn't leave this post on such a negative note. I ended up getting an Armstrong HS1850. Couldn't be happier. Like everyone says amazing quality. So easy to ride. Amazing progression after just a couple days. So much glide I can easily ride 1st wave ropeless and control speed to stay on wave. Couldn't do that with SS gamma. Now to get out in some wind and see how far I can go downwind.

Have a 5.4 SS v2 wing coming monday (and pre-ordered a Naish 110 which I hope to have in a few weeks). Hope to be winging by end of the summer!

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
I'm trying to understand Gong's shipping now a day. What was Gong going to  ship you? What was the shipping cost only? Where were they shipping? 
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
I'm trying to understand Gong's shipping now a day. What was Gong going to  ship you? What was the shipping cost only? Where were they shipping? 

$183 shipping to CA for a complete foil package. Think it was a little over $1100 total which is a great deal for complete carbon but I just don't like that much getting wasted on shipping and risking having some issues as others have had. Reviews on new Gong stuff is great but I think I read about some crazy  shipping cost on just wings that make them not much of a bargain.

I have no regrets about the high cost of Armstrongs. Zero compromises.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
Assuming that $183 shipping was for the 70cm carbon mast and bits? 100cm would probably be a fair bit more.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 06:34:58 AM »
Assuming that $183 shipping was for the 70cm carbon mast and bits? 100cm would probably be a fair bit more.

Yes. 70 mast, XL curve etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
Couldn't leave this post on such a negative note. I ended up getting an Armstrong HS1850. Couldn't be happier. Like everyone says amazing quality. So easy to ride. Amazing progression after just a couple days. So much glide I can easily ride 1st wave ropeless and control speed to stay on wave. Couldn't do that with SS gamma. Now to get out in some wind and see how far I can go downwind.

Have a 5.4 SS v2 wing coming monday (and pre-ordered a Naish 110 which I hope to have in a few weeks). Hope to be winging by end of the summer!
If I was in your situation, I would take my boat down to Sherman Island, go upwind to an island and wing away.  Probably the best summer wind quality in North America, rivaling Squamish in steadiness.  Flat and warm water, ideal for learning. It is tidal so do your due diligence on depth and current vs. wind direction.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »

If I was in your situation, I would take my boat down to Sherman Island, go upwind to an island and wing away.  Probably the best summer wind quality in North America, rivaling Squamish in steadiness.  Flat and warm water, ideal for learning. It is tidal so do your due diligence on depth and current vs. wind direction.

Looks like a nice destination spot. But boat is "Tahoe only" so I wouldn't use in any other water. Some steady wind would be nice tho. So gusty up here. Water is near 70 so very comfortable with a 2mm wetsuit. When I thought about 55 degree water next June I realized I better learn this year while water is nice! Thanks for the suggestion.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »
water is 70deg in Tahoe???  not my experience, but I guess you live there so you must know some spots I don't know about.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
water is 70deg in Tahoe???  not my experience, but I guess you live there so you must know some spots I don't know about.

Yeah I guess you are aware how cold the alpine water can be even in July. Its been pretty nice last 10 days and yesterday was 69.5 which is about as warm as it gets.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 08:30:16 AM »
On my first visit to Tahoe I learned that you don't want to dive deep into that water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
I’ve been debating wether I should bother concluding this post as things haven’t progressed as expected.

Learning to foil behind the boat went way better than I hoped but progressing beyond the boat hasn't happened yet. I didn’t realize how how ideal the wave would be for foiling! All I wanted to do was keep surfing on the boat. Check out short video my wife shot over her shoulder while driving. Still a little shaky but was improving every day. I really had expected to get into other aspects of foiling but a mellow clean 2’ wave I can ride forever is hard to resist.

When things started getting smokey in Aug my Wife told me she was done going out on boat. So finally the motive to get out of comfort zone and get wing figured out. Unfortunately that hasn’t worked out yet. Besides having waited all summer to get a board, there hasn’t been any wind since getting it (note: it was blowing 35 one day which is not helpful for 1st time out).

I got a Naish 110 that is +30L. Turns out too small for me to stand on but at least I can kneel on it comfortably (kinda). I’m sure when I get some experience I’ll appreciate smaller size for winging.

Even with pretty much nothing going as planned I’ve had blast this summer and realize it’s part of learning to foil. With fairly warm water and record heat I’m hoping Sept will provide a chance to get out on the wing before winter blasts in. As my wife is already asking about return policies I’m needing to make some progress quick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adttZxlt3_w

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
Wow, awesome wake foiling video! I'd do that all day long too! If you haven't done it already, make sure you try foiling on your opposite stance. That will be important for wing foiling. If you really want a challenge, try switching back and forth your stance while on foil. That will give you a big head start when you attempt transitions (jibe, tack).

As far as your progress goes, you just need wind! If you have the luxury, take the advice from an earlier post and go to Rio for a few days. You might need to add a smaller wing though.

You say your board is too small to stand on? Do you mean while trying your wing? I'd say you need at least 10-12 mph to help you stand up.

WHS

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
Wow, awesome wake foiling video! I'd do that all day long too! If you haven't done it already, make sure you try foiling on your opposite stance. That will be important for wing foiling. If you really want a challenge, try switching back and forth your stance while on foil. That will give you a big head start when you attempt transitions (jibe, tack).

As far as your progress goes, you just need wind! If you have the luxury, take the advice from an earlier post and go to Rio for a few days. You might need to add a smaller wing though.

You say your board is too small to stand on? Do you mean while trying your wing? I'd say you need at least 10-12 mph to help you stand up.

Thanks! Yeah should have spent some time switch.

Looking forward to traveling to some other spots and ocean but hanging tight until covid isn't an issue.

Board is too small to sup. Can't standup and paddle. For wing I'm expecting it to be good for beginner. If I could do over would have gotten 125L so I could sup foil in surf also. I decided against it because it's 6" longer for only more 15L which didn't sound like a good tradeoff.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM