Author Topic: Foamie foil board  (Read 4196 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foamie foil board
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 08:00:35 PM »
Thanks man. I am a Zoner project lol. Any skills I get I have to credit to you all.

What’s the best guess on how far to locate the foil from tail? I’m assuming 18”-24”. Sound right?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
Ok, so I’ve cut my plate out for the bottom of the wavestorm (foilstorm?) My T-nuts just came from Amazon. I’ve copied the position for the mount from the Gong Carter and adjusted for the extra 6” of length.

I chose to prototype it out of sande plywood and will layer three layers of 5mm with glass and resin for the test. I’ll duct tape it on, wax the top of the tape on the deck, and get Hdip to meet me and test pilot it. He doesn’t know this yet btw. Don’t tell him.

If it works, I’ll maybe make one out of divinycell and carbon, or just keep the weird plywood and glass one.

The plate is full bottom width so the tape has a straight pull from the deck for strength. It’s 32” long. If I make one out of foam I might cheat it a few more inches, put traction on the top and use it for dock starts and behind a boat when it’s not taped on and once I can surf a shorter foil board.

But this crazy idea is underway on my bench.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 12:26:59 AM »
I went down this rabbit hole back when In 2018 when I was kitefoiling. I used this sushi board that wasn’t be used in my garage. I put and aluminum plate on the top and one on the bottom. Bolted my foil plate through both plates and board. I used it kite foiling but it was a little flexy for my taste. I may revisit this board as a prone foilboard. Will need to make a longer aluminum plate to help with the board flex. Carbon would be better but not in my budget. I have pics. But unable to resize them at the moment.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 08:15:18 AM »
Classic GIF, Hdip. my wife asked, “what are you laughing at?”

The Gong HIPE inspired me. I figure with the board stringers and the glass/ply plate under my stance I should prevent most flex.

Long term we will see what to do. Not sure if I don’t just want to make a hybrid board if this works or stay with the weird plate on foamie. If the drag and weight don’t completely destroy the surfing of the board I might use the plastic fin anchors and 3m marine sealant to put it on. But this is a fun project either way. I’m trying to keep the soft top as soft as I can and avoid too much hardware.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 08:22:01 AM »
I bought the carbon foil plate to do something similar. I've been working hard on the wiring for Fritz, my stupid Moho project, but with all the smoke in the air for the next few days working outside is probably kind of dumb. So maybe I'll jump on this and breathe resin fumes instead.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal