Author Topic: Foamie foil board  (Read 4193 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Foamie foil board
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:00:23 AM »
This is been on the bench since about March...  The idea was 'If the board is not all that important in the beginning.. why not the least expensive?'  Also, why not use perhaps both the most used (and most derided) board ever.  @ $175. (Amazon/delivered) it provides a low entry price compared to Starboard or the like.  There are a surprising number of seemingly well-built foamies.  Even Mick Fanning has a line that may get 'some' respect.

Like a lot of things, one tends to copy prior art.  My young engineer friend milled up a foil mount suitable for the Brooklyn Bridge.  Then you look at it and say; ' C'hit, just move the whole thing; there is no fixed position like with an insert?!'  We have a stainless plate with four holes to add to the mix. ' Another banding device also because the junctions look like skin removal tools to me.  When I get the time, I'll put up the shortboard.  Be my guest if this simulates an idea, or 'you're welcome' if this saves you from a trip down a similar gopher hole.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Foamie foil board
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »
...ooops!  Pics to large for one page.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
I'm assuming there is some glue between the plate and board? I don't think those zip ties are going to do much. Maybe tear through the board?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »
Ok, first, I love this. Now, questions.

What’s the top surface? Will it be padded?

I immediately have ideas on this based on the Gong HIPE. Bottom plate out of glass and carbon with maybe just anchors on top of the board under the skin. You can remove and reglue sections of a wavestorm skin pretty easily. That way the top is still mostly soft. If you routed out the eps and out in 1” thick high density blocks it’d be flush with top and smooth which is safer and still way stronger than anchoring in EPS.

It might seem like a lot of effort but in the end this would be a great way to get started more safely.

I need a new wavestorm soon, maybe I’ll use mine as a donor for a 5’ beginner prone foil foamie.

Love this man. Taking it one step beyond Sam P’s idea.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
And this is the ultimate first boat session board even if it’s just duct taped on Piros style. Remember to shim.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
Cool idea.  Looking forward to a ride report.

My son's uncle dumpster dove a broken wavestorm, skinned it, dropped in tracks, reglassed, and had himself a 3 footer.  I think a broken/old sup sounds like a platform to start with.  A beefy 6 footer is way easier to foil than pretty much any 8 footer.

I am also concerned about the zip ties, entrapment as they loosen up can be a good way to loose a toe or finger.  Maybe more through bolts around the stringer?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »
Clay you’re right about cutting down a WS SUP. Plenty of volume.

I’m serious about the duct tape or do a sub skin anchor like I’m talking about. I don’t think this sandwich plate is the final answer here. Bottom looks fine though.

But  Clay's buddy’s idea inspires this thought. Cut bottom skin and strip out a 1’ x 3’ section. Route in some HD foam and set boxes. Then carbon and glass over it and build it up to match the skin level. I’m gonna say 6 x 6oz carbon at least. That would hold and wouldn’t require anything through the deck.

I think this might be my prototype.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 07:33:21 PM »
Here's another that was done a couple years ago....
https://www.instagram.com/p/BicCrRNFxz6/
....which "Maximus" rode for a year plus...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiumdFZla49/
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »
Was that one of those rivieras? Those have glass under the foam I think but not much. Like maybe 1 layer of 4 Oz. So not much stronger than a wavestorm probably.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 06:03:26 AM »
Thanks, Cowboy...  Ya, I have two rolls of EVA but ..'didn't want to waste either' if I cannot solve the banding.  I thought about the pull-ties we used for concrete forms as a young fellow  ...or the simple matter of making disk washers for thru-bolts. 

Sano, the idea of making  'top deck - core block - bottom plate' all bolted together is interesting. I first wanted to try 'non-destructive' means, so it could be moved to different boards for different uses. 

I have a mechanical tensioning device for zip-ties but it wants to crush rails. It would be easy to heat-form some pads as they use on large, cardboard shipping containers.  But, you're digging in sand after a point.  I have some stuff to ship in the next couple of days, but I will be back with a shortboard and different banding.  Cheers.

Jim

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 07:52:52 AM »
I like it man. Non-destructive prototype. Keep em coming.

I need to start looking at craigslist for a donor.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
Was that one of those rivieras? Those have glass under the foam I think but not much. Like maybe 1 layer of 4 Oz. So not much stronger than a wavestorm probably.
Yes, it was a Rivi soft top, which did have the one layer of 4 oz under the deck.

Sano, the idea of making  'top deck - core block - bottom plate' all bolted together is interesting. I first wanted to try 'non-destructive' means, so it could be moved to different boards for different uses.
Ah Roger that, and very cool idea wrt making it portable so to speak. Looking forward to the ride report.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supthecreek

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
Go for it wettie!
You are the master Rube Goldy, so you'll come up with something interesting  :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 07:45:59 PM »
Checking back on this. Wetstuff, did you get this thing rolling? I’ve been rolling a design around and think I’m about to order some materials.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 06:13:13 AM »
Thanks, Cowboy...  I've been distracted. With 25ac growing exponentially + storm damage at home and a virus distraught wife, it's been hectic.  I do have a 4-4 foamie in the corner and another, better idea.  I hope to get back to it soon.   I've been reading your progress - ' good for you!

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal