Author Topic: The Summer Wind  (Read 1104 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
The Summer Wind
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:18:38 AM »
Looks like a week of good summer Gorge conditions coming up.  Ahhhhhh!  Current is down to 200, swells are pushing more than pulling, the air is warming and it seems like Junuary is moving behind us.  Stoked!

Yesterday had a bad forecast and looked like junk (12 to 32 when I launched) but turned out to be super fun (maybe because it was so goofy).  3.5 was a good call and was right a lot of the time.  I was happy for the Axis 920 because there were big holes.  One really cool feeling in this sport (maybe all wind foiling sports?) is how efficiently this gear works to keep you going on apparent wind.  Jibing when you have been running on nothing is really unusual, cool and challenging.  Add a swell and it is easy to get a face full of wing. 

I am a year in and I still am finding new sensations every session.  What a gift.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Summer Wind
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 05:24:15 AM »
Sounds great. 

We are still trying to figure out the Gorge winds and forecasts.  Temira was calling for no winds in the afternoon yesterday so we went in the morning and it was not great (less than 10 to upper 20's).  A lot of that is my inexperience overall and in these winds.  There are definitely skills required to manage the lulls and it is great training.  There was a local (Jerry?, older guy, large JL board) who did great while I was struggling.

I am finding the ikitesurf Pro forecast most usable for me.  Looks like afternoons might be better for a while.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: The Summer Wind
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:56:12 AM »
Yes, iwindsurf/ikitesurf is very accurate.  The only issue there is that they haven't adjusted yet for foiling and they very frequently forecast "no wind" days that are incredible foiling days.

The pressure gradients are the most useful.  PDX-Dalles for wind in or near town, Dalles-Pasco for wind out east.  http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&Isection=Pressure+Report

The Gorge cams here will give you a live view.  You can see that it is windy enough right now at Swell :) https://www.sailworks.com/bp/Gorge_Wind_Cams.html

Mel will probably have her breakthrough session  mid-morning today at the waterfront.  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:14:16 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal