Author Topic: Second Wing???  (Read 3977 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Second Wing???
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »
Hi Quick,

Not to be pushy but it is time to switch to your foilboard.  We have a friend here who is going the learn on SUP first route and when talking about his sessions he is working on solving problems that won't be relevant on a foilboard and not focusing on what he will need to get used to.  It is comfortable but he is learning the wrong sport.  Go for it, suffer a little and get it behind you now.  :)

Hi Admin. I appreciate the advice, but have to admit I’m a little confused. Surely learning how to control the Wing and how to maneuver it in wind so I can learn to go upwind, etc. is going to benefit me once I get on my foil board? Right now I’m feeling like have little to no control over the Wing. Have to admit my second session was much better than the first (on my iSUP), but I’m still far from feeling comfortable with the Wing.

I’m just thinking if I went on my foil board this early in the process I’m going to get totally confused and overwhelmed???
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
Surely learning how to control the Wing and how to maneuver it in wind so I can learn to go upwind, etc. is going to benefit me once I get on my foil board? Right now I’m feeling like have little to no control over the Wing. Have to admit my second session was much better than the first (on my iSUP), but I’m still far from feeling comfortable with the Wing.
I’m just thinking if I went on my foil board this early in the process I’m going to get totally confused and overwhelmed???
If your goal is to learn how to control your wing, then your current setup sounds fine.  Listen to your gut.
If your goal is to go upwind, I can understand the foil recommendation, as they go upwind with ease.
With only one session under your belt, I think it is too early to judge, get another 5 sessions, then re-evaluate.  The journey is more memorable than the destination.
I don't wing, but learning to kitesurf took me a half dozen sessions to feel comfortable with the kite.  Then learning to ride a hydrofoil with a kite, I had to start over with another half dozen sessions to feel comfortable on the foil.  In hindsight, there is no way I would have wanted to learn to kite on a hydrofoil.
Note: I doubt your inflatable has many fin options.  If I was trying to go upwind on a hardboard, I would ride it as a twinfin, the bigger the better. [lose the 2+1, thruster, or quad; as fins near the tail just add drag, energy you could use to cut upwind]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:28:56 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »
Surely learning how to control the Wing and how to maneuver it in wind so I can learn to go upwind, etc. is going to benefit me once I get on my foil board? Right now I’m feeling like have little to no control over the Wing. Have to admit my second session was much better than the first (on my iSUP), but I’m still far from feeling comfortable with the Wing.
If your goal is to learn how to control your wing, then your current setup sounds fine.  Listen to your gut.
If your goal is to go upwind, I can understand the foil recommendation, as they go upwind with ease.
With only one session under your belt, I think it is too early to judge, get another 5 sessions, then re-evaluate.  The journey is more memorable than the destination.
I don't wing, but learning to kitesurf took me a half dozen sessions to feel comfortable with the kite.  Then learning to ride a hydrofoil with a kite, I had to start over with another half dozen sessions to feel comfortable on the foil.  In hindsight, there is no way I would have wanted to learn to kite on a hydrofoil.
Note: I doubt your inflatable has many fin options.  If I was trying to go upwind on a hardboard, I would ride it as a twinfin, the bigger the better. [lose the 2+1, thruster, or quad; as fins near the tail just add drag]

Thanks sflinux. Appreciate your thoughts. As for the fins, my inflatable has only the single fin box but a while ago I purchased the Duotone “Drift Stopper” (https://shop.duotonesports.com/en-gb/add-on-drift-stopper-14200--8010) just for this purpose. Thanks again.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »
Hi Quick,

The same action with the wing is going to get a very different response on your SUP than on your foilboard.  I wouldn't practice the inflatable at all.  You don't want to train yourself and then have to unlearn these first steps.  It is going to be a transition when you go to the foilboard anyways.  Choose a mellow day and give it a shot.  PS:  this is not going to be a second session kind of thing.  Think of it as a longer term goal.  I you can get a kneestart and cruise on the surface in a few weeks of days, that is great. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 11:13:42 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 11:30:15 AM »
My first lesson with Alan Cadiz was on a big ugly windsurfer with a kickdown centerboard. We spent about fifteen minutes doing a ground school. learning how the wing feels on the beach, then about an hour or so on the windsurfer learning to make the board go and getting it to go upwind. As soon as I was able to go upwind Alan ditched the windsurfer and I went to my foilboard--not foiling, just learning how it feels and making it go where I wanted to go. Doing knee starts and standing starts (I had a hard time with standing starts but I got knee starts quickly).

So I'd say one or two sessions at the most with your SUP to get a feel for the wing, and then go straight to the foilboard. I know what Admin is talking about--there's a guy here that has done probably twenty sessions with a windsurf board. I'd say he's mastered it but he shows no inclination to move on to his foilboard. I doubt there is any element of his last 18 or so sessions that will help with the foilboard. A six foot foilboard has a completely different feel than a ten foot sailboard. The foilboard has about the same stability since it has a HUGE fin but it feels completely different.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 02:47:11 PM »
Nothing wrong with using a SUP to learn wing basics once or twice but that should be plenty for most. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal